How many people at your undergraduate school was/is a pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recall the period that I was an undergraduate that many science majors (biochem, chem, biol, microbiology....) were pre-med. In one of my o-chem class, I would have to say at least 60% were pre-med. What is your estimate of pre-meds that is currently/was in your undergrad school? Also, I read an article from my old school that initially, a survey/study was done that showed that there were many pre-meds during a particular freshman year. By senior year, that number dropped drastically due to a variety of reasons:

1. discovered that medicine just wasn't for them (eg blood)
2. found out that it was extremely hard and just gave up
3. decided to go into another health care field that was less competitive

Also, the article mentions specifically people of asian origin had a tough time explaining to their parents that they did not want to become physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about the percentage at my undergrad school, case western, but i know it's pretty high since "smarty pants" go there. I just wanted to comment on the asians- that is so true, i have an asian friend who was getting sick over tryin to tell her parents that she wanted to be a psychologist. and yeah, they did flip out. Interesting. :(

I remember a few that blew the MCAT and gave it up. They got 18's

Then again...I knew a girl in 96' that got an 18 on the MCAT and went to Ross.

I was bored so I looked her up the other day...she is a surgeon in CT.

You can follow your dream no matter what, but I saw once a lot of "premed" types realize how insane this path of life is they drop out or get weeded out.