dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
PLease raise your hand if you feel that despite preparing from EK down to the last letter as they asked you to do, still ended up with a horror of a score?
 

go lakers

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
718
48
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
EK 1001 verbal burned me. =/
 

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
2,845
59
USA
Status
Attending Physician
EK Verbal 101 Passages helped me get a 10 on the verbal section! :D

Remember, none of the prep companies can "make" or "get" you a certain score on any section on the MCAT. It's up to you to put in the time and effort to prepare for each section.
 
About the Ads

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
dufflebag said:
PLease raise your hand if you feel that despite preparing from EK down to the last letter as they asked you to do, still ended up with a horror of a score?
you've been putting down EK all over this forum... but a lot of others have said it worked really well for them. did you just read the books or did you do all the problems as well and work on the 1001 books?
 

tik-tik-clock

CraziiiDesiiKuriii
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2004
333
0
Status
luckycharms08 said:
you've been putting down EK all over this forum... but a lot of others have said it worked really well for them. did you just read the books or did you do all the problems as well and work on the 1001 books?

Thank God I was not the only one getting that impression. I thought I was getting paranoid. But from post # 1 he's been preaching against EK, idk.

Personally there are extremely helpful for me, is all I gotta say. Its not even about using it right or not. Its really not that hard to follow through with them. So idk how the OP's opinions should be considered seriously by anyone. Honestly OP, this could misguide a lot of people and destroy the confidence of a lot of people who dont know the truth. So if you are not serious, don't do this.
 

planck2

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
21
0
Status
Pre-Medical
EK worked for me! I read almost everything and did most of their problems. EK Verbal 101 was truly helpful for me. I got 10s and above in all sections on the MCAT.
 

Broccoli

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
195
1
Status
Pre-Medical
tik-tik-clock said:
Thank God I was not the only one getting that impression. I thought I was getting paranoid. But from post # 1 he's been preaching against EK, idk.

Personally there are extremely helpful for me, is all I gotta say. Its not even about using it right or not. Its really not that hard to follow through with them. So idk how the OP's opinions should be considered seriously by anyone. Honestly OP, this could misguide a lot of people and destroy the confidence of a lot of people who dont know the truth. So if you are not serious, don't do this.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm preparing for the August test and EK seems perfect for me. I'm assuming the above poster didn't exactly follow the EK methods, because they seem to be working for the majority of us.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Again, read carefully what I posted, there are many who got burnt by the EK prep method, those are the only ones that should only be logging and sharing their pitfalls on this thread, glad that you scored high again this is not the thread for you

luckycharms08 said:
you've been putting down EK all over this forum... but a lot of others have said it worked really well for them. did you just read the books or did you do all the problems as well and work on the 1001 books?
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Again, read carefully especily if you did good on verbal, you should recognize that this is a thread ONLY for those who got burnt by the EK. And, there are many who did, glad that you scored high again this is not the thread for you

luckycharms08 said:
you've been putting down EK all over this forum... but a lot of others have said it worked really well for them. did you just read the books or did you do all the problems as well and work on the 1001 books?
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
wrong thread, it is only for those who did not benefir from EK, I am glad that you are in love with EK, but this is not the thread for you

Broccoli said:
I was thinking the same thing. I'm preparing for the August test and EK seems perfect for me. I'm assuming the above poster didn't exactly follow the EK methods, because they seem to be working for the majority of us.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
wrong thread, it is only for those who did not benefit from EK, I am glad that you are in love with EK, but this is not the thread for you. And, Yes I did exactly what they suggest and still did not benefir like many others who has claimed that

Broccoli said:
I was thinking the same thing. I'm preparing for the August test and EK seems perfect for me. I'm assuming the above poster didn't exactly follow the EK methods, because they seem to be working for the majority of us.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hoping that you have already taken your MCAT, your confidence should not be so fragile that it could be destroyed by a simple realistic criticism, if you do get to Med school, hope that you do not use this approach in diagnosing patients. If U have not taken MCAT, use this as simply a collection of opinions, and decide for yourself.

tik-tik-clock said:
Thank God I was not the only one getting that impression. I thought I was getting paranoid. But from post # 1 he's been preaching against EK, idk.

Personally there are extremely helpful for me, is all I gotta say. Its not even about using it right or not. Its really not that hard to follow through with them. So idk how the OP's opinions should be considered seriously by anyone. Honestly OP, this could misguide a lot of people and destroy the confidence of a lot of people who dont know the truth. So if you are not serious, don't do this.
 
About the Ads

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
2,845
59
USA
Status
Attending Physician
dufflebag said:
wrong thread, it is only for those who did not benefit from EK, I am glad that you are in love with EK, but this is not the thread for you. And, Yes I did exactly what they suggest and still did not benefir like many others who has claimed that
None of the test prep company materials will get you a certain score. It's up to you to find one that works for you, and then it's up to you to actually put in the blood, sweat, and tears (aka time and effort) necessary to achieve the score goal you are looking for. :rolleyes:
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
This is not the place for you to boast your scores, it is only for those who do have a criticism to offer. You have done good for your self, now look ahead, and let others write their feedbacks.

planck2 said:
EK worked for me! I read almost everything and did most of their problems. EK Verbal 101 was truly helpful for me. I got 10s and above in all sections on the MCAT.
 

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
2,845
59
USA
Status
Attending Physician
dufflebag said:
This is not the place for you to boast your scores, it is only for those who do have a criticism to offer. You have done good for your self, now look ahead, and let others write their feedbacks.
Everyone has the right to speak their minds in these forums. People can counter criticism of a method/course or criticize praise of any MCAT study course-related material they choose.

May freedom of speech prevail! :clap:
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Everyone, apppreciated your feedback, loved the refrence to the old corny routine and spill over of that wisdom, especially from someone, who used "1001" methodology to score high. Missing the whole point, read the thread link again, and perhaps this time "1001" will bail you out again

LifetimeDoc said:
EK Verbal 101 Passages helped me get a 10 on the verbal section! :D

Remember, none of the prep companies can "make" or "get" you a certain score on any section on the MCAT. It's up to you to put in the time and effort to prepare for each section.
 

Broccoli

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
195
1
Status
Pre-Medical
dufflebag said:
wrong thread, it is only for those who did not benefit from EK, I am glad that you are in love with EK, but this is not the thread for you. And, Yes I did exactly what they suggest and still did not benefir like many others who has claimed that
I'm sorry you followed EK yet didn't do as well as you would have liked. Maybe you can try taking more practice tests? I think EK really has all the info you need, I could be wrong but maybe you're not applying to concepts correctly? Why do you think EK didn't work for you?
 

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
9,817
4
TX
Status
Attending Physician
dufflebag said:
Everyone, apppreciated your feedback, loved the refrence to the old corny routine and spill over of that wisdom, especially from someone, who used "1001" methodology to score high. Missing the whole point, read the thread link again, and perhaps this time "1001" will bail you out again
Wow - quite a jerk aren't we? I'm going to guess it's less of a problem with EK and more of a problem with the amount of work you put in.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Everyone, hold off on everything, and listen to this paradox of advise, "the amount of work you put in!" I guess, I should not have been busy rampaging through oggles of wastoid playstation game, or stairing at the books. I should have been reading and doing the work. Thank you Mam, you realy saved me from myself in the future

Anastasis said:
Wow - quite a jerk aren't we? I'm going to guess it's less of a problem with EK and more of a problem with the amount of work you put in.
 

AWhitehair

EM PA-C. MD wannabe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
1,293
0
Tampa, FL
Status
Non-Student
dufflebag said:
Everyone, hold off on everything, and listen to this paradox of advise, "the amount of work you put in!" I guess, I should not have been busy rampaging through oggles of wastoid playstation game, or stairing at the books. I should have been reading and doing the work. Thank you Mam, you realy saved me from myself in the future
Ouch! I am going to stay out of this one, but I will say one thing... people can post their opinions in whatever thread they want. It never stopped you from writing negative comments about EK in the EK lover forums. :p
 

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
dufflebag said:
Everyone, hold off on everything, and listen to this paradox of advise, "the amount of work you put in!" I guess, I should not have been busy rampaging through oggles of wastoid playstation game, or stairing at the books. I should have been reading and doing the work. Thank you Mam, you realy saved me from myself in the future

was that supposed to be funny? cuz... it wasn't? I don't get it. :confused:
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Most english majors will confirm this like myself that verbal skills do go up with reading, if you recall, Orsey advises against it. Princeton reviewers have written on this very site that Princeton recommends making notes on margins and even underlining the key phrases. Again, Orsey advises against that in his EK book. Techniques is what get most people, and gets others through, so the question is who is right? The purpose of this thread is NOT to put anyone down, or to blame someone, it is an eclectic collection of opinions to come up with some kind of a collective opinion. And, that has to render some service to others who can think for themselves. Again, I glad that you have achieved successfull scores, but always feel free to share opinions, you undoubtedly will make a better doctor.

Broccoli said:
I'm sorry you followed EK yet didn't do as well as you would have liked. Maybe you can try taking more practice tests? I think EK really has all the info you need, I could be wrong but maybe you're not applying to concepts correctly? Why do you think EK didn't work for you?
 
About the Ads

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
2,845
59
USA
Status
Attending Physician
dufflebag said:
Most english majors will confirm this like myself that verbal skills do go up with reading, if you recall, Orsey advises against it. Princeton reviewers have written on this very site that Princeton recommends making notes on margins and even underlining the key phrases. Again, Orsey advises against that in his EK book. Techniques is what get most people, and gets others through, so the question is who is right? The purpose of this thread is NOT to put anyone down, or to blame someone, it is an eclectic collection of opinions to come up with some kind of a collective opinion. And, that has to render some service to others who can think for themselves. Again, I glad that you have achieved successfull scores, but always feel free to share opinions, you undoubtedly will make a better doctor.
MCAT Verbal methods only work for particular persons and particular mindsets. My MCAT instructor had a method of attacking verbal that didn't work for me on practice AAMC verbal exams. The EK method worked for me. It may not work for others. That's the reality of MCAT Verbal, and mostly correct for the other aspects of the entire MCAT. You have to find what method works for you, and then run with it. This is why you shouldn't trust any one source of MCAT advice, but use several to ensure that you are as well prepared for the exam as you possibly could. This includes hundreds of hours of self-prep time where you simply study on your own, struggling to figure out how to "beat the test".

In the end, all you are doing with all of this MCAT "stuff" is showing the medical school adcomms that you are capable of figuring out how to attack a "problem", and are successful at obtaining the necessary materials and experience to solve the "problem".
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank You finally, I got someone to give out their secret, appreciated and yes, that is perhaps the mother of all truths, "find what works for you." Well said. Keep it going

LifetimeDoc said:
MCAT Verbal methods only work for particular persons and particular mindsets. My MCAT instructor had a method of attacking verbal that didn't work for me on practice AAMC verbal exams. The EK method worked for me. It may not work for others. That's the reality of MCAT Verbal, and mostly correct for the other aspects of the entire MCAT. You have to find what method works for you, and then run with it. This is why you shouldn't trust any one source of MCAT advice, but use several to ensure that you are as well prepared for the exam as you possibly could. This includes hundreds of hours of self-prep time where you simply study on your own, struggling to figure out how to "beat the test".

In the end, all you are doing with all of this MCAT "stuff" is showing the medical school adcomms that you are capable of figuring out how to attack a "problem", and are successful at obtaining the necessary materials and experience to solve the "problem".
 

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
2,845
59
USA
Status
Attending Physician
dufflebag said:
Thank You finally, I got someone to give out their secret, appreciated and yes, that is perhaps the mother of all truths, "find what works for you." Well said. Keep it going
You're welcome! So, basically EK is not "crap". It's just a method that works for some, and not for others. Just like every other MCAT verbal approach! :)
 

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
dufflebag said:
Most english majors will confirm this like myself that verbal skills do go up with reading, if you recall, Orsey advises against it. Princeton reviewers have written on this very site that Princeton recommends making notes on margins and even underlining the key phrases. Again, Orsey advises against that in his EK book. Techniques is what get most people, and gets others through, so the question is who is right? The purpose of this thread is NOT to put anyone down, or to blame someone, it is an eclectic collection of opinions to come up with some kind of a collective opinion. And, that has to render some service to others who can think for themselves. Again, I glad that you have achieved successfull scores, but always feel free to share opinions, you undoubtedly will make a better doctor.

You're an English major?
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
No I do not hate EK, but I do not recommed that to anyone either. I think if EK was always a good deal than pretty much all test takers will score high.

LifetimeDoc said:
You're welcome! So, basically EK is not "crap". It's just a method that works for some, and not for others. Just like every other MCAT verbal approach! :)
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
dufflebag said:
No I do not hate EK, but I do not recommed that to anyone either. I think if EK was always a good deal than pretty much all test takers will score high.
You're kidding me right? The MCAT is a standardized and curved test. If everyone scored high, everyone would get an 8, and they would make the test harder next year.

The whole idea is that there is some upper limit score that varies individual to individual... test prep companies try to help you reach that limit.

You seem to be angry because you studied with EK and you scored badly. Feel free to go ahead and study with another test prep company. If you do well THEN, then you have a legitimate claim against EK. If you STILL do badly, then that says something about you, and nothing at all about EK.
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
dufflebag said:
English and Biochemistry..tee hee
I didn't laugh because you were in English (one of my majors is Psychology, more of a joke). I laughed because despite the fact that you are an English major, you choose to write sentences like this:

"Again, read carefully especily if you did good on verbal, you should recognize that this is a thread ONLY for those who got burnt by the EK. And, there are many who did, glad that you scored high again this is not the thread for you"
 

JDUB44

My Wiener (See Pic Below)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
137
0
Status
dufflebag said:
PLease raise your hand if you feel that despite preparing from EK down to the last letter as they asked you to do, still ended up with a horror of a score?
EK rules, maybe you just had a bad day or just didn't study enough but I attribute my 32 solely to EK. Jordan and Jon are great and all other prep companies suck. Nuff said.
 
About the Ads
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I love the commercialized jargon that most college students are tought to put out outside of the class. So, basically let me get this right, you went with EK, and perhaps good preperation or sheer luck you have a decent score. Now you are a big fan of EK, and you would stamp and endorse it to all those who are in need of that solemn affirmation. And, by the way you are assuming that I have a bad MCAT score.


trozman said:
You're kidding me right? The MCAT is a standardized and curved test. If everyone scored high, everyone would get an 8, and they would make the test harder next year.

The whole idea is that there is some upper limit score that varies individual to individual... test prep companies try to help you reach that limit.

You seem to be angry because you studied with EK and you scored badly. Feel free to go ahead and study with another test prep company. If you do well THEN, then you have a legitimate claim against EK. If you STILL do badly, then that says something about you, and nothing at all about EK.
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
dufflebag said:
I love the commercialized jargon that most college students are tought to put out outside of the class. So, basically let me get this right, you went with EK, and perhaps good preperation or sheer luck you have a decent score. Now you are a big fan of EK, and you would stamp and endorse it to all those who are in need of that solemn affirmation. And, by the way you are assuming that I have a bad MCAT score.
And, by the way, you are assuming I've taken the MCAT. Hey, one-for-one. :laugh:
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
By the way feel free to point out the reference or source to your deduction on what is what is not MCAT's way of devising that "curve" ? I would like to see that very much

dufflebag said:
I love the commercialized jargon that most college students are tought to put out outside of the class. So, basically let me get this right, you went with EK, and perhaps good preperation or sheer luck you have a decent score. Now you are a big fan of EK, and you would stamp and endorse it to all those who are in need of that solemn affirmation. And, by the way you are assuming that I have a bad MCAT score.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Move over Voltaire, and Gods of benediction, there is a new Sherlock in town, the one who claims to have seen the vision of the scoring and structural capade of the MCAT, by way of throwing his dices

trozman said:
And, by the way, you are assuming I've taken the MCAT. Hey, one-for-one. :laugh:
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
dufflebag said:
By the way feel free to point out the reference or source to your deduction on what is what is not MCAT's way of devising that "curve" ? I would like to see that very much
Let's look at the extremes. Let's say EK test prep is perfect. By that I mean, everyone who follows it to the letter gets a perfect score. So everyone who takes the MCAT uses EK and gets perfect.

So, what's more logically... everyone gets 24 (8, 8, 8) or everyone gets 45 (15, 15, 15)?

This isn't rocket science.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I wonder what your opinion be if you had a 23 and not 32? Would you still endorse EK and your affair of love with the two guys

JDUB44 said:
EK rules, maybe you just had a bad day or just didn't study enough but I attribute my 32 solely to EK. Jordan and Jon are great and all other prep companies suck. Nuff said.
 

estairella

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
403
1
Status
Pre-Medical
dufflebag said:
Move over Voltaire, and Gods of benediction, there is a new Sherlock in town, the one who claims to have seen the vision of the scoring and structural capade of the MCAT, by way of throwing his dices
It's called common sense. And with that, I think I've had my share. But since you mention Voltaire, I might as well say it now... you're THE NEW HITLER. :thumbup:

It's been a real pleasure.

/Godwin'd
 

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
dufflebag said:
I love the commercialized jargon that most college students are tought to put out outside of the class. So, basically let me get this right, you went with EK, and perhaps good preperation or sheer luck you have a decent score. Now you are a big fan of EK, and you would stamp and endorse it to all those who are in need of that solemn affirmation. And, by the way you are assuming that I have a bad MCAT score.

Why would you start this thread or all the other posts you made if you didn't rely heavily on EK, do poorly on the MCAT, and then blame EK for your performance? Honestly, if you were an English major, I don't think you'd need any verbal stategy in order to be able to critically analyze the verbal passages. I was questioning that you said you're an English major because your messages are difficult to decipher and poor grammar isn't something I'd expect from an English major. Look, EK can have every single thing in their books that you would need to know, but in the end, you have to take the exam, they can't take it for you.
 

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
956
4
Chi-town royalty
Status
Medical Student
i'm doing EK now and i don't mind it. but i do agree with the OP, it is calling for all people who "got stung by" EK and not the general population of SDN EK-loving premeds. i've seen threads like this about how kaplan english sucks or something else sucks and no one calls the back up squad to hijack the thread talking about how much they love love love kaplan and it saved their lives. i've always respected SDN because for the most part when people ask questions in threads, the replies tend to have to do with the thread and identify with the person. while i know that it's a free country and there is freedom of speech, if we went contradicting every thread what good would that get us, we wouldn't get any answers that's for sure. also, if everybody loved the same things , as you no doubt want the OP to love EK just like you, then life would be so boring and we'd already know most of the answers to most of our pre-med related questions. i also highly advise against telling the OP that he didn't do well with EK because "he didn't put in the work" and that EK on its own is good enough to get the stellar scores that all of you have i assume gotten; how do you know? each to his own. why don't u start an I love EK thread if you want to post on the merits of EK. all of you have rushed to the assumption that what works for you should work for everyone else and that if it didn't work then obviously something was done wrong. let me tell you that i studied much much harder than a lot of people who did better than me on the MCAT. a lot of it is just plain talent and plain luck. that being said i do find fault with the EK verbal strategy as much as you guys wish to bury your faces in its ass, it doesn't work for me. so if this makes me like the OP, an oddball or ostracized, so be it.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Now, my turn. Take a look at 1995 scaled publications of AMCASS. Notice the n=31000. Now notice the scewed sclae between 84% and 91%, notice the numbers. Follow this comparison and progression for the next threesyears, and notice the scewed scales of percentile distribution, but the distribution of percentiles. That year, MCAT had offered more scores between 80-90% than ever, this was also due to the increase in the nation wide number of medical school seats.
ONce you have done that review, the next three years of scores will not make any statistical sense to you. You see my point, NO consistancy, and statistical inference based upon unknown factors. I love doing math, perhaps that is why that is why I chose it for my graduate degree.

trozman said:
Let's look at the extremes. Let's say EK test prep is perfect. By that I mean, everyone who follows it to the letter gets a perfect score. So everyone who takes the MCAT uses EK and gets perfect.

So, what's more logically... everyone gets 24 (8, 8, 8) or everyone gets 45 (15, 15, 15)?

This isn't rocket science.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
dufflebag,

First, I would ask that you clarify what exactly is your problem with EK. I may have missed it. Did you use their methods and material and score poorly? What exactly is the gripe?

Second, in my OPINION, EK produces the best MCAT preparatory material available. Their verbal strategies and workbook helped me double my score in 6 months. This happens to be an opinion shared by many on this forum. But you're right, mine is just one man's opinion.

That being said, blaming a test prep company on a poor score is ridiculous in my opinion. It comes down to your own individual effort to (1) find material that suits your learning style and (2) doing the work on your own. If you put in the effort, do practice tests, etc., you will get a good score. If you don't, you will get a good score. I know there are some variables that are out of your control, but in the end your score is determined by your individual effort, and not a test prep company.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank You for a thorough review, and feedback.


EBI831 said:
i'm doing EK now and i don't mind it. but i do agree with the OP, it is calling for all people who "got stung by" EK and not the general population of SDN EK-loving premeds. i've seen threads like this about how kaplan english sucks or something else sucks and no one calls the back up squad to hijack the thread talking about how much they love love love kaplan and it saved their lives. i've always respected SDN because for the most part when people ask questions in threads, the replies tend to have to do with the thread and identify with the person. while i know that it's a free country and there is freedom of speech, if we went contradicting every thread what good would that get us, we wouldn't get any answers that's for sure. also, if everybody loved the same things , as you no doubt want the OP to love EK just like you, then life would be so boring and we'd already know most of the answers to most of our pre-med related questions. i also highly advise against telling the OP that he didn't do well with EK because "he didn't put in the work" and that EK on its own is good enough to get the stellar scores that all of you have i assume gotten; how do you know? each to his own. why don't u start an I love EK thread if you want to post on the merits of EK. all of you have rushed to the assumption that what works for you should work for everyone else and that if it didn't work then obviously something was done wrong. let me tell you that i studied much much harder than a lot of people who did better than me on the MCAT. a lot of it is just plain talent and plain luck. that being said i do find fault with the EK verbal strategy as much as you guys wish to bury your faces in its ass, it doesn't work for me. so if this makes me like the OP, an oddball or ostracized, so be it.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
DadLuis, question: what other prep companies have you tried?

ADeadLois said:
dufflebag,

First, I would ask that you clarify what exactly is your problem with EK. I may have missed it. Did you use their methods and material and score poorly? What exactly is the gripe?

Second, in my OPINION, EK produces the best MCAT preparatory material available. Their verbal strategies and workbook helped me double my score in 6 months. This happens to be an opinion shared by many on this forum. But you're right, mine is just one man's opinion.

That being said, blaming a test prep company on a poor score is ridiculous in my opinion. It comes down to your own individual effort to (1) find material that suits your learning style and (2) doing the work on your own. If you put in the effort, do practice tests, etc., you will get a good score. If you don't, you will get a good score. I know there are some variables that are out of your control, but in the end your score is determined by your individual effort, and not a test prep company.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
EBI831 said:
i'm doing EK now and i don't mind it. but i do agree with the OP, it is calling for all people who "got stung by" EK and not the general population of SDN EK-loving premeds. i've seen threads like this about how kaplan english sucks or something else sucks and no one calls the back up squad to hijack the thread talking about how much they love love love kaplan and it saved their lives. i've always respected SDN because for the most part when people ask questions in threads, the replies tend to have to do with the thread and identify with the person. while i know that it's a free country and there is freedom of speech, if we went contradicting every thread what good would that get us, we wouldn't get any answers that's for sure. also, if everybody loved the same things , as you no doubt want the OP to love EK just like you, then life would be so boring and we'd already know most of the answers to most of our pre-med related questions. i also highly advise against telling the OP that he didn't do well with EK because "he didn't put in the work" and that EK on its own is good enough to get the stellar scores that all of you have i assume gotten; how do you know? each to his own. why don't u start an I love EK thread if you want to post on the merits of EK. all of you have rushed to the assumption that what works for you should work for everyone else and that if it didn't work then obviously something was done wrong. let me tell you that i studied much much harder than a lot of people who did better than me on the MCAT. a lot of it is just plain talent and plain luck. that being said i do find fault with the EK verbal strategy as much as you guys wish to bury your faces in its ass, it doesn't work for me. so if this makes me like the OP, an oddball or ostracized, so be it.
What, do you think there is some EK-hawking conspiracy on this thread?

Give me a break. The fact that people don't come out and defend Kaplan's methods, and that people are quick to defend EK's should be an indication of the collective SDN opinion on prep material. Nothing more. This is not to say that the EK consensus is correct, just that the majority of the people on the forum prefer EKs methods. That's just the way it is. Deal with it.

Second, no one is assuming the OP didn't do the work. We're (or at least I am) saying that you can't blame a test prep company for "burning" you on the MCAT.
 

ADeadLois

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
3,158
6
Status
Medical Student
dufflebag said:
DadLuis, question: what other prep companies have you tried?
First off, it's "ADeadLois"

Second, I took the Kaplan Classroom course, borrowed some of my friends PR books, and used EK's books. Of these, I found the EK material to be the easiest to read and best for me personally. That is just my opinion.
 
OP
D

dufflebag

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
29
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I loved your logical inference. So, if 50% voter turn out is what the election holds this year and some guy gets elected, then it must mean that the choice is right. There are plenty of other prep companies who are never mentioned or bragged about at this site

ADeadLois said:
What, do you think there is some EK-hawking conspiracy on this thread?

Give me a break. The fact that people don't come out and defend Kaplan's methods, and that people are quick to defend EK's should be an indication of the collective SDN opinion on prep material. Nothing more. This is not to say that the EK consensus is correct, just that the majority of the people on the forum prefer EKs methods. That's just the way it is. Deal with it.

Second, no one is assuming the OP didn't do the work. We're (or at least I am) saying that you can't blame a test prep company for "burning" you on the MCAT.
 

luckycharms08

all it takes is one =)
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2006
413
0
Status
Medical Student
you still haven't answered ADeadLois' question... what's your gripe? maybe if you explain your personal experience instead of bashing every person who questions your opinion and praising anyone who doesn't, people would give more weight to your words.
 
About the Ads