how many people have to scramble in IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, IM is traditionally not that competitive of a field so wondering how frequently applicants dont match in this field. if someone can direct me to relevant links with data that would be great, i'm not sure where to find this info!

good luck to everyone next week

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, IM is traditionally not that competitive of a field so wondering how frequently applicants dont match in this field. if someone can direct me to relevant links with data that would be great, i'm not sure where to find this info!

good luck to everyone next week

Really tough question that depends on a few things:
1. What school you went to (Allopathic vs Caribbean FMG vs other FMG vs Osteopathic).
2. How strong an applicant you are.
3. What programs you applied to/ how well you interviewed.
In general, US Allopathic students match in IM without a problem unless they only applied to top 20 IM programs or had a major red flag during the interview. On the other hand FMG or Osteopathic students may find it more difficult to match, even when as qualified, if not better than some Allopathic US Grads.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf
This provides all data (pg 115 starts with internal medicine), including breakdowns by US vs non-US grads, what step scores, publications, and other stats that matched vs unmatched students have etc.
This might allow you to size up your chances of matching assuming your list is a mix of reach to safety programs.
Best of luck everyone!

Last edited:
Really tough question that depends on a few things:
1. What school you went to (Allopathic vs Caribbean FMG vs other FMG vs Osteopathic).
2. How strong an applicant you are.
3. What programs you applied to/ how well you interviewed.
In general, US Allopathic students match in IM without a problem unless they only applied to top 20 IM programs or had a major red flag during the interview. On the other hand FMG or Osteopathic students may find it more difficult to match, even when as qualified, if not better than some Allopathic US Grads.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf
This provides all data (pg 115 starts with internal medicine), including breakdowns by US vs non-US grads, what step scores, publications, and other stats that matched vs unmatched students have etc.
This might allow you to size up your chances of matching assuming your list is a mix of reach to safety programs.
Best of luck everyone!
dude, are you pre-med?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, I am a MS4. I am just too lazy to change the status. I asked someone at school a similar question once and that's what they said to me/gave me as the best data available. The data on pre-SOAP match rates are not really available to my adviser's knowledge.

No, I am a MS4. I am just too lazy to change the status. I asked someone at school a similar question once and that's what they said to me/gave me as the best data available. The data on pre-SOAP match rates are not really available to my adviser's knowledge.
yeah, that's really what my question was (PRE-SOAP match), but thank you for sharing, always nice to look at charting outcomes the week prior to match.