How many? Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lanc0034

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all:
I'm a 4th year med student who is new here with a big question:
How many Family Medicine programs do I need to interview at? I had originally set up 15 interviews.

Thus far I've interviewed at 7--
University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI)
MSU/Sparrow (East Lansing, MI)
Columbia-St. Mary's (MIlwaukee, WI)
St. Luke's (Milwaukee, WI)
St. Michael's (Milwaukee, WI)
Waukesha (Waukesha, WI)
Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN)
My top choices are the three in Milwaukee. I have a few coming up in Chicago, but I am wondering if they are necessary.

Can anyone help me? Any advice out there?
THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

It totally depends upon why you are interviewing at these places. If you are interviewing to learn more about them, and to try and make your rank list then I think the more the merrier, b/c you'll be able to better make a decision.
IF you already are sure on your top 3 I wouldn't interview at more than 3-5 places. And that's being safe. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get in one your top 3 choices in FP, unless you are a FMG applying to very competitive residencies.

bmickelsen said:
It totally depends upon why you are interviewing at these places. If you are interviewing to learn more about them, and to try and make your rank list then I think the more the merrier, b/c you'll be able to better make a decision.
IF you already are sure on your top 3 I wouldn't interview at more than 3-5 places. And that's being safe. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get in one your top 3 choices in FP, unless you are a FMG applying to very competitive residencies.

Thanks for the input. It really helps a lot. I am decided on my top 3 (the three programs in Milwaukee) and I have interviewed at 6. I am not a FMG, and I don't have any red flags, so I guess I'm fairly safe.

Thanks again!

You're golden with 7 interviews. I've applied to 5 places, interviewed at 4, and each place has told me I would be ranked highly (although I don't know how much I can believe that).

Good luck! :luck: