How many prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysiatryMom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I was just curious how many IM prelims (if that is the option you chose) that most of you applied to since the majority of PM&R programs are advanced vs. categorical? I applied to 12 and have 8 interviews thus far. Should I have applied to more? How many interviews should we go on for prelims to feel comfortable to hopefully match? Sorry for all the questions, but I was curious... Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to prelims were there was a categorical program that I was also applying- and when the invites came out either from the prelim/ or pm&r, if I didn't hear from both, I would contact to coordinator ask if they could coordinate an interview since I was flying out for the other. Most often they will accomodate you unless you were already delcined an interview for the PMR - in that event I didn't go out for the prelim interview. Its too much money to be going everywere, my forus was on getting a PM & R spot and the prelim came second.

I only applied to prelims were there was a categorical program that I was also applying- and when the invites came out either from the prelim/ or pm&r, if I didn't hear from both, I would contact to coordinator ask if they could coordinate an interview since I was flying out for the other. Most often they will accomodate you unless you were already delcined an interview for the PMR - in that event I didn't go out for the prelim interview. Its too much money to be going everywere, my forus was on getting a PM & R spot and the prelim came second.

thanks, joseppi. Thus far, most have been accomodating. What if you get a prelim interview first? Is it okay to contact the PM&R program or wait until after November 1st?

Members don't see this ad :)
joseppi,

by coordinate, do you mean that the interviews occurred on the same day? Or on back-to-back days?

-savealife

thanks, joseppi. Thus far, most have been accomodating. What if you get a prelim interview first? Is it okay to contact the PM&R program or wait until after November 1st?

depending on when your interview is..... if its soon I wouldn't hesitate to contact them. Also if you know they've already sent out some invites and you interview date is approaching I would make an attempt.

By coordinate I mean so you don't have to make another trip across country in two weeks, Let them know you are coming out and see what they offer. Liely not the same day, most people interview starting am so its most likely going to be an adjacent day if they'll allow for it. Note- this is not always going to be the case, but atleast you can make an effort, they'll know you are genuinely interested and you have little to loose.

Prelims just want warm bodies, so I wouldn't sweat it much. 8 interviews should be quite enough.

Instead of just IM, have you considered a transitional program? I was glad to get more surgical exposure in my transitional year. Plus the though of Q4 call x 12 months was more than I could bear...

Prelims just want warm bodies, so I wouldn't sweat it much. 8 interviews should be quite enough.

Instead of just IM, have you considered a transitional program? I was glad to get more surgical exposure in my transitional year. Plus the though of Q4 call x 12 months was more than I could bear...

Thank you for your response. I thought about a TY (didn't apply), but decided that a good IM foundation would be more beneficial to me in the long run, but the schedule is more tiring. I have been doing some surgical electives though lately (Burn/Trauma, ENT...). Thanks again.