How many prereqs should I take at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khatz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know there are a million topics on this but I want a modern answer. The world is changing. Obamacare is gonna drive doctor shortage through the roof and I am sure this means more incoming freshmen will think this is a good opportunity to take up the premed mantle which could make CC courses look laughable. Honestly, I don't know. That's why I'm here.

I did not get accepted anywhere out of 3 uni's I applied to (all for the same reason: "nice SAT score but since your gpa is under 3.0 we dont want you") so I have to go to a CC. I did not expect to take this route considering I was confident I would get into one but I guess not everyone can have nice things.

Back to the question: how many of the pre-reqs (specifically which ones would help too) should I take at the CC before transferring?

Also I know a lot of you on this forum have nothing better to do than be a sardonic jackass so if you're going to pour salt on my wounds I'd like it if you just closed this tab.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll find out that some applicants have taken anywhere from a few pre-reqs at CC up to all of their pre-reqs at a CC and still ended up with acceptances to medical school; you should be no different as long as your application is paired with a qualifying mcat and ECs.

Good luck.

+1000 I took most of my pre-reqs at CC, transferred to a major university, continued to take some upper level sciences and math and now have 2 acceptances. So no worries just like stated above, do what you have to do at CC.

I took most of my pre-reqs, (physics, ochem, gen chem, lower div bio, math, english, etc.), at a CC before transferring and I don't feel they'll negatively impact my med school acceptance chances. I think as long as you do well in those classes, learn the material, and do well on your MCAT, you'll be fine.

I couldn't afford to go straight to a university and I think med schools will understand that not everyone can attend a university all 4 years, as long as your grades and MCAT are up to par.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I know there are a million topics on this but I want a modern answer. The world is changing. Obamacare is gonna drive doctor shortage through the roof and I am sure this means more incoming freshmen will think this is a good opportunity to take up the premed mantle which could make CC courses look laughable. Honestly, I don't know. That's why I'm here.

I did not get accepted anywhere out of 3 uni's I applied to (all for the same reason: "nice SAT score but since your gpa is under 3.0 we dont want you") so I have to go to a CC. I did not expect to take this route considering I was confident I would get into one but I guess not everyone can have nice things.

Back to the question: how many of the pre-reqs (specifically which ones would help too) should I take at the CC before transferring?

Also I know a lot of you on this forum have nothing better to do than be a sardonic jackass so if you're going to pour salt on my wounds I'd like it if you just closed this tab.

Take exactly 0 pre reqs at CC

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Are you familiar at all with transferring out of a CC? Good luck getting into a decent school in your major of choice (presumably science-related) without a single science course.

If you take prereqs at CC, I would encourage you to take some upper level related classes (genetics, biochem, micro) at a university to prove you can handle the harder courseload.

Are you familiar at all with transferring out of a CC? Good luck getting into a decent school in your major of choice (presumably science-related) without a single science course.

No I'm not familiar, but I know people who have done it.

Agreed, it's not feasible to do this as a science major. As has been stated 2398473897 times before on these forums--just make sure you take upper division science classes at the school you transfer to and do well in them.

I disagree.

CC is a good option,its a good way to get save money, and have your GPA boosted.

I'd recommend you take the general chemistry with lab, physics, bio/anatomy with lab, at CC--including other general classes like an intensive writing class. Then later on you can take organic chemistry at the University you decide to transfer to after a year of two.

I'm currently at a CC as a first year, I was kind of in the same boat as you regarding the GPA. I took general chemistry 1 and biology last semester. I'm taking chemistry 2 this semester and its a pretty good course. Of course, I'll take higher science courses like genetics, biochemistry at the University I decide to attend.

I transferred from CC, and I only took the classes that I NEEDED to take to transfer to a university, look at the 4 year school you are looking to goto and see what their requirements are for the major you are intending to transfer into. In my case I had to take Bio 1, 2 and Chem 1,2 at CC, but physics and orgo I could wait till after I transferred.

Modern times bro (gal?). Not everyone is born with a silver spoon, do your time at a CC... If the CC classes are "laughable" that's your advantage! Excel, get your GPA stellar and transfer! It's 2 years out of a lifetime.

Take what you need to get to a major university.

Many medical schools don't accept courses taken at community colleges. Keep that in mind.

Yep, I agree with the above posters. Do what you have to do to transfer to a university, but do the least amount of pre-reqs just to be safe.

From what I understand, the bias against community college courses mainly applies to non-trad applicants who do their pre-reqs on the side at a community college. Admissions committees will want to know why you took pre-reqs at a CC. Getting them out of the way is a bad answer, as is doing them there because you think they will be easier. Doing them there to save money will be a sufficient answer for some admissions committees (especially if the CC is in California) while it will be a bad answer for many others. Taking them because you need them to transfer to a university with the major of your choice is an excellent answer and many medical students took this route and were quite successful.

Many medical schools don't accept courses taken at community colleges. Keep that in mind.

That's not true. Only a few don't. With 100+ medical schools in the US, you can easily avoid those schools. I've heard Yale and Creighton don't accept CC classes (don't quote me on that).. but I didn't want to apply there anyways lol.

I went to a CA community college (actually 2 of them) before transferring to a UC. They basically require you to take almost all the prereqs at the CC before transferring. So I took every prereq except for organic chemistry at the CC. As others have said, take upper division bio courses at the university, and maintain a good GPA.

I kept up a high GPA throughout CC and at the university and things worked out for me :).

How you did in high school doesn't matter at all for med school admissions. Think of college as a fresh blank slate.

There is only a handful of schools that don't take CC credit.