Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2000
Thunderdome
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I still haven't heard anything from 4 programs! Is this normal? I feel like everyone else I talk to had heard from pretty much everywhere they applied to by last week, maybe still waiting on 1 or 2 at most. I have e-mailed and called these programs, to no avail (most either don't respond or give a generic "we're still reviewing applications" answer). All the ones where I have actually managed to speak to someone claim that they are still sending invites and will notify applicants either way, but I'm starting to feel like I should just give up on these places. It's difficult because I would really like to know (all 4 are places I am interested in), and I really need to schedule flights and such.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Any suggestions on what else I can do, if anything? I don't want to be annoying with repeated e-mails/calls.

twilburys

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I still haven't heard from 3 programs.

I have pretty much given up on two of them (Denver and UCSF). I contacted Denver through email and never heard back....I know they have sent out rejections so I don't know what to think.

I posted about UC-Davis last week. They said they hadn't reviewed my application yet.

I guess all we can do is sit and wait. It's nice to know that there are others still waiting to hear one way or the other. However, it is getting hard not to stress out. I really just want to finalize my travel plans and focus on the interviews I do have.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey all!

I have three more programs to hear from, not counting the one waitlist I am still on. I have called two programs (both in NYC) and have gotten the "we are still reviewing applications" and have no idea when invites are going out, although one hoped that it would be by the end of the week. One was actually rather rude about it stating that she had not been given any news from the residency selection committee. I applied late to UCSF, but did e-mail them yesterday to ask about my status. I actually included that I was in the process of finalizing my flight plans and did not want to skip an interview because I could not afford it. I felt that I was honest, but I am not sure how it will be taken. Regardless, I have a bunch of great interviews so I cannot complain at all. I just do not want a random invite that I cannot work into my schedule.

As far as programs that have already sent out rejections not sending you any word on your status, my theory is that programs are holding on to some applicants that they are still interested in, but for which they have no interview slots. If other people cancel, they want to make sure they have some other people on the "wailist" to invite, even if they do not e-mail those people that they are indeed on a "waitlist". They are trying to cover their behinds so they ensure they will interview enough interested applicants to fill their residency slots. I think it is a very smart way to go about things, but it does not help that we are waiting to hear from these places while trying to finalize flight plans.

It is easier to say than do, but have some patience (mine is thinning, but still there) and hold on for a bit longer, at least until the end of the month. Things can still work out. Best of luck to everyone in this very nerve-wracking process. We will make it through to Match Day.

About the Ads

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2000
Thunderdome
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for replying...it is good to hear other people are waiting also. Dr. J2B, you are the voice of reason and patience as always. You're right, we'll all find out soon enough. The 4 I am waiting to hear from are Denver, UCSF, UCLA, and DC Children's. I know Denver has sent out rejections, but I haven't heard that about the other 3 yet. None of them have responded to e-mail, and have been pretty unhelpful over the phone if I can even get a live person on the line. UCLA and DC Children's did tell me they will let applicants know either way, so presumably we will know if we are rejected. If anyone has more specific info about any of these programs, feel free to post it!

umass rower

Insert clever phrase here
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I haven't heard from Tufts yet, but I've e-mailed them to find out my status since they're the only ones I haven't heard from. I only applied to 7 places though, and two declined to interview me, so every decision counts as far as I'm concerned.

eag

10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I haven't heard from 7 programs. Even with emailing them to find out my status, I'm still waiting with no response to my emails. I guess most of these are reaches, but I still want the rejection if it is. I really want to hear back from 2 of the 7. The the others, I won't be shedding tears if they told me no. I, too, am with the philosophy that I have already interviewed at some great places, so it's their loss. Additionally, why would I want a program that picked me last :) But even still, at least give me the courtesy of a response. That's only proper especially with the fact that I paid to apply to their program. I think that warrants at least a simple yes /no/maybe. But this is the game that we have to play.

Much continued success!

twilburys

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I applied late to UCSF, but did e-mail them yesterday to ask about my status. I actually included that I was in the process of finalizing my flight plans and did not want to skip an interview because I could not afford it. I felt that I was honest, but I am not sure how it will be taken.

Looks like they liked your honesty. Congrats!

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. Best of luck to you and everyone! I am excited that I will also get to see one of my best friends while I am out there.

Looks like they liked your honesty. Congrats!

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2000
Thunderdome
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Congrats DrJ2B! That only leaves 2 left to hear from, right?

Is anyone else waiting on UCLA? That is probably the only one I haven't heard from that I really care about. I have called twice (once last week and today), and they just tell me they are still reviewing and I should hear something soon. I have other cali interviews and need to book my flights ASAP...I would really like to interview there so I hope I get the chance, and ideally don't have to book a seperate flight to do it.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
NY
Status (Visible)
Thanks so much Mistress S! I really appreciate it. Yes, only two more to hear from, although I am not sure if I would interview at one if given the opportunity, but would at the second one. I also am hoping that I get off my waitlist and get the opportunity to interview at Cornell. Regardless, I am really happy with the interviews I have now, and, if I did not get anymore, I would be totally content. I figure NYC may not be the place for me and this is just a way of telling me that. So many other wonderful programs and cities, so I cannot complain.

I wish you all the best in getting that UCLA interview and in getting off any waitlists you are still on (in a good way).

This application process has really blown my mind. Some programs that I hoped to get rejected me and others that I never thought I had a chance in the world at getting an interview offered me one. I honestly believe that things happen for a reason and I am just going to be myself throughout this process so I can end up at a place where I will be happy, regardless of the preconceived notions I had. I just want everyone to end up where they will be happy. I do not want anyone to be upset, if at all possible.

Best of luck to everyone!

DocStretch

15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Wandering
Status (Visible)
I was wondering if anyone had any idea what to make of being "waitlisted" for an interview? I've been put in a holding pattern by a couple of places where I'd love to interview but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the time. Part of me thinks that if I snag an interview, I'd be on equal footing and could charm my way onto their rank-list with an interview. But then the other part of me thinks that if they balked at interviewing me in the first place, is it worth the investment of traveling a significant distance to interview when I'm starting out being somewhere around their 300th favorite candidate?

Congrats to those of you hearing back:thumbup:

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2000
Thunderdome
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was wondering if anyone had any idea what to make of being "waitlisted" for an interview? I've been put in a holding pattern by a couple of places where I'd love to interview but I'm not sure if it'd be worth the time. Part of me thinks that if I snag an interview, I'd be on equal footing and could charm my way onto their rank-list with an interview. But then the other part of me thinks that if they balked at interviewing me in the first place, is it worth the investment of traveling a significant distance to interview when I'm starting out being somewhere around their 300th favorite candidate?

Congrats to those of you hearing back:thumbup:

I know what you mean DocStretch...it is a tough call. I did decide to go on an interview at one place (UW) that offered me a spot off the waitlist. My reasoning was 1.) it was a relatively easy place for me to go since I am on the west coast already; 2.) it is a program I'm really interested in so it's worth my time/money to have a shot there; and 3.) while I may not have been at the top of their list for an interview, they didn't reject me (and I know they have sent out rejections to some) and I must have been high enough on their waitlist as I was offered an interview less than a week after being told I was waitlisted. Presumably, if they weren't interested they wouldn't waste my time or theirs interviewing me when they receive so many other applications.

However, I am also on another waitlist (Hopkins) which would be much more time-consuming and expensive for me to go to, so if I do get offered an interview there it will be a much more difficult decision. There's really no way to know exactly how they're going to weigh your application in the end, so you should probably only go if you can afford it and it's a place you're really interested in. Good luck!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.