How many programs did everyone apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mackie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed on the interview thread that some people have a ton of interviews, and I'm thinking, I didn't even apply to that many places. I know many IMG's apply to upwards of 20 programs, but what about others? I always heard 10 was a sufficient number of programs for IM unless your grades and scores leave something to be desired.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 15 schools. Numbers and stats are all competitive.
My objectives for applying to so many schools were to figure out where I want to live (City vs fairyland towns) as well as what type of facility I would want to work (fellows run or resident run). Also, I added more schools on because I am looking to move to a less familiar region of the US.
I know that I won't interview at all schools, even though I have scheduled all so far.

US grad, top 50 but not top 25 school in the northeast, solid LOR's (only seen 1 with my own eyes which was great), mediocre but not terrible class rank and grades, good Step 1, applied to 25 programs in the northeast and Mid-Atlantic. Received 7 interviews in the first 1.5 weeks after submission with 1 letter and CAF/PS/transcript in, all at reputable northeast programs. 1 more letter just arrived, and Dean's Letters are downloaded on Monday, so we will soon see if I applied to too many or too few programs.

update to my original post: I now have 13 interview invitations, and while I am excited to have done better than I expected, I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed, especially since I still have a few programs in my geographical area that haven't contacted me yet. I would NOT recommend applying to 25 programs unless you have Visa problems or failed Step 1/2 at any point, or had serious academic issues along the way. It doesn't matter what anyone on here says, or even that much what your Dean of Students says; use your best judgement about what you're looking for in a program, and talk to interns and residents for advice.