How many programs/prelims?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Norzy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for another one of these. I've exhausted my live people resources so I'm here for more 2nd opinions.

Step 1: 255
Step 2 CK: 254
Step 2 CS: pending (probably passed though)
Did well preclinical years. 1 Honor and a few High Passes during clerkships.
No publications.

I so far picked 18 programs (mostly middle tier, some upper tier), 6 prelims and 1 TY (b/c it's local). I don't want to overkill the application process because I know I'm a solid applicant, but is that too few?? I ESPECIALLY don't know what I'm doing with prelims, so please advise here!

I'd like to save some bucks but don't want to screw myself over obviously. Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Sorry for another one of these. I've exhausted my live people resources so I'm here for more 2nd opinions.

Step 1: 255
Step 2 CK: 254
Step 2 CS: pending (probably passed though)
Did well preclinical years. 1 Honor and a few High Passes during clerkships.
No publications.

I so far picked 18 programs (mostly middle tier, some upper tier), 6 prelims and 1 TY (b/c it's local). I don't want to overkill the application process because I know I'm a solid applicant, but is that too few?? I ESPECIALLY don't know what I'm doing with prelims, so please advise here!

I'd like to save some bucks but don't want to screw myself over obviously. Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks in advance!!

I would consider adding a few more prelim/TY programs; especially if the PM&R programs you applied to are heavily weighted towards advanced positions.

A few years ago I applied with similar stats (more modest Step 1, but 2 pubs/2 presentations) and had plenty of PM&R interviews (I think I got invites for about 17/20 programs) but I really focused on categorical programs.

PM me with any specifics you may have.

I applied to more programs, but I just wanted to be safe. Its easy to turn down interviews or cancel them if you get too many. You have good stats and will probably not have a problem getting a position with what you have applied to. However, if for some reason you don't match, you will end up spending a lot more money, time and energy in the long run than if you had just played it safe and applied to more programs to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats seem good to secure PM&R. The worst-case-scenario for you is to not match to a prelim, which can be notoriously difficult to get into based on region, type, etc (or notoriously easy for the exact same reasons). You want a quality experience to prepare you for running a rehab unit, not some place that needs warm bodies to sign orders. Expand your search -- intern year lays the groundwork for your residency and is not something to leave as an afterthought.

Reactions: 1 user
You're definitely a competitive applicant by the numbers, but I'd still apply to at least 10 pre-lims and 10 TY's--unless thing changed, it costs the same to apply to one program type as ten. Pre-lim IM and TY's are unfortunately different categories-so apply to 10 unless you really can't find 10 programs you'd be willing to go to/interview at.

Either way, as others mentioned, it's much better to be safe than sorry. Applications are cheap, and you generally have a rough idea of how many invites you're getting by the time you start interviews, so you can cancel some interviews if you start interview season with a strong number of invites.

hellooo.. are u applying for Physical mdicine and rehab?............ are u an IMG ?............