how many programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KimR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many programs did everyone apply to?
(There are no residents at my school to ask how many is a safe #).
Personally, I want an academic program in the SouthEast, though all of these hurricanes have me rethinking that plan!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I personally am applying to about 50-60 programs (FMG) and would love to come down to sunny FL for residency. Are you from a US school or offshore?

I am a US med student, applied to 20 programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 30. I believe this is considered a fairly high number (although you wouldn't know it from reading some of the posts on SDN). I'm a US student, but not a stellar candidate, so I'm casting a wide net. :D

Amy said:
I applied to 30. I believe this is considered a fairly high number (although you wouldn't know it from reading some of the posts on SDN). I'm a US student, but not a stellar candidate, so I'm casting a wide net. :D

OK, I get the hint. :)

I'm also a US student, and wanted to cast a VERY wide net since I'm worried about not matching, and I'm very neurotic. I applied to 67 categorical GS spots. Good mix of academic and community programs. Scattered all around the US, though mainly on the East and West coasts.

KimR said:
(There are no residents at my school to ask how many is a safe #).
Personally, I want an academic program in the SouthEast, though all of these hurricanes have me rethinking that plan!

I applied to 30 programs, but all university programs - no community.
I have great step 1, but average grades. So hopefully some of those programs care more about board scores

KimR said:

I have applied to 25 programs, all categorical, the majority university-affiliated. Have solid grades/scores, and hope to stay in the Southeast US.

Amy said:

I guess I should add that mine are all categorical, a mix of community and academic programs. Applied all over the country.

I applied to 25...all community with university affil. I have good grades and good board scores but I'm a DO and only took the COMLEX.

I applied to 25 programs some University and some community. Solid board score, high-average grades, upper tier school, bla, bla. I actually feel like I applied to too many programs. D&*n I coulda used that extra $100.

I applied to 40 schools--also casting a wide net (strong letters, top tier school, good clerkship evals., but mediocre Step I scores). I applied mostly to academic programs, but also did some quasi-academic community programs. All categorical.

HEEEELLLLOOO!!!

Ok, now that I have your attention...did anyone apply to both prelim and categorical positions at the same school? Will they let you know what you are interviewing for or do they tell you later? Anyone know how this works?

K

Applied to 10 general surg, 25+ plastics

shahkg said:
HEEEELLLLOOO!!!

Ok, now that I have your attention...did anyone apply to both prelim and categorical positions at the same school? Will they let you know what you are interviewing for or do they tell you later? Anyone know how this works?

K

Good question. You can click on both "Prelim" and "Categorical" on ERAS, for each program?

Due to family/location issues , I only want to go to some 4-5 schools in the West Coast. What happens if I apply to only those and don't match? Do I then 'have' to scramble or can I hang out for a year, do some research and reapply? Do my chances go down if I reapply to the same schools?

avgjoe said:
Due to family/location issues , I only want to go to some 4-5 schools in the West Coast. What happens if I apply to only those and don't match? Do I then 'have' to scramble or can I hang out for a year, do some research and reapply? Do my chances go down if I reapply to the same schools?

No one requires you to scramble. Let's say you apply to only those schools and don't match. If any of those programs have openings, you can try your hand at the scramble for those spots, or sit the year out.

If you do decide to sit the year out rather than take a spot elsewhere, please make sure that you are somehow involved in medicine during that year. The further you get out from medical school the morfe difficult it is to match. It is difficult to state whether or not your chances would change if you reapplied to the same programs. I do know that some programs disregard duplicate applications two or more years in a row - if you've made some significant change in your application it might help but generally people don't change their app enough to get an interview when they weren't offered one the first time around. Best to check with the program(s) in question.

Also consider doing at least a Prelim year in the area if you don't match into a Categorical spot at one of your choices. This will keep your clinical skills buffed up, make your application look better and give PDs a chance to evaluate you rather than reading a letter from some research supervisor. If you do well at your Prelim spot you may be able to swing a PGY2 spot next year (as the attrition rate in Surgery would still be expected to be high).

avgjoe said:

You don't have to scramble...you can always take a year off and work. I agree with Kim, though - I'd definitely consider a prelim year, or at least working closely with some attendings, whether it be doing research, or whatever.

avgjoe said:
Due to family/location issues , I only want to go to some 4-5 schools in the West Coast.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way you could expand the number of programs you're applying to? Or are you looking at one particular city, e.g. LA, for example?

The reason I don't want to expand is because there are only a few cities where my SO can also get a decent job, and there are unfortunately very few programs in those places. We'd also ideally like to stay on the West Coast. perhaps I'm being too picky but hopefully I can get away with it :)

Thanks for all your advice. In terms of prelim years, do you apply for those separately or is it assumed that you'll be offered that if the hospital doesn't want to give you a categorical position?

Also, for university programs, how much is research considered important? I'm wondering if I should take a year off during med school and do research, perhaps at one of the schools I'm appying to in order to increase my chances.. have good scores etc but no research exp at all.

whoops just saw the other post reg prelim spots.. i'll read the answers to that one!
thanks again for hte help