How many programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just about to start the residency application process in a couple of months. How many programs did most of you apply to/interview at. I have heard most people say apply to 10-15 and interview at about 10. Does that sound familiar? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 22, got invitations to interview at 17, scheduled interviews for 12, went on 11 (got sick at the last one so I skipped it). Most people I met on the interview trail were doing between 8-12, but it definitely felt like the final numbers were tailing off as it got closer to the end. The lowest number I heard of anyone doing was 5, and the highest was over 20 but that person was couples matching with someone going into ortho.

Part of the number to apply to is based on your geographic restrictions or types of programs. Certainly if you're limiting yourself to academic programs west of Denver, that's going to be a very different number of options than if you're willing to apply programs everywhere and include community programs.

Last edited:
Definitely shooting only West of Denver, so trying to figure out a good # of programs to apply to? Thanks for your input!