How many publications? What topics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many publications do you have (or will you have)?

Votes: 89 38.0%

Votes: 43 18.4%

Votes: 45 19.2%

Votes: 19 8.1%

Votes: 10 4.3%

Votes: 5 2.1%

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 2 0.9%

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 10 or more

Votes: 14 6.0%

• Total voters

DropkickMurphy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you have publications (or will have), how many, and what they were in.....(If you can't tell......I'm bored because I'm home sick today)

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering how many of you have publications (or will have), how many, and what they were in.....(If you can't tell......I'm bored because I'm home sick today)

I have one in Science and one in Nature. I'm not sure what the topics are, but it's probably whatever the adcoms are interested in the most.

But actually specify what qualifies as a publication.

Well, I don't have any authorships in papers that were published in peer-refereed journals. However, I am one of the authors of four abstracts that were presented at international conferences. Three of the four were related to hormonal aspects of stress and stress-related dysfunctions/diseases, and the fourth one was related to attenuating the symptoms associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal. I was the first author of only one of the abstracts, which I also presented.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st Authored:
Journal of Applied Physiology
American Journal of Physiology
American Journal of Physiology (To be Submitted next month)

2nd Authored:
Journal of Diabetes and its Complications
Rheumatology
Free Radicals of Biology and Medicine
Journal of Applied Physiology

Abstracts:
Experimental Biology (San Francisco, 06)
Exercise Biology (Austin, 05)
ACSM-NW (Boise, 06)

All Research is related to cutaneous microvascular function...i.e. skin blood flow regulation.

3 for the same project, one of them first-authored communication, from undergraduate days. Bioorganic/ synthesis/ medicinal chemistry. I also wrote a thesis on the project. 5.5 years after proved much less productive (I thought it would keep me out of medical school, but I've only had one interviewer ask about that). I'm slowly tip-toeing away from bench research.

Hey DKM,

I wanted to ask you something. Did you get the idea for your SDN username from the name of a band??? I always thought that was some random thing you made up and then today I was looking at one of my med student friend's facebook wall and saw your username as the name of one of the bands she likes in her music section. So just wondering if that's where you got the username from.

Also, I have 0 publications but I do have a poster presentation I did.

2 abstracts for conferences. 1 senior thesis. 1 pub in press on cartilage development in zebrafish and expecting 1 more pub that I will be author on.

Did you get the idea for your SDN username from the name of a band???
Yes. :D

HOW MANY PUBS DO YOU HAVE DKM?
So far.......two actually published, three in press, and working on two more. My hopes are to have even more publications done over the next couple of years. I also have a presentation coming up in August in Paris.

The subjects have varied from mechanical ventilation to trauma, the after effects of torture, ethics in pandemics to reporting of lightning fatalities.

Yes. :D

So far.......two actually published, three in press, and working on two more. My hopes are to have even more publications done over the next couple of years. I also have a presentation coming up in August in Paris*.

The subjects have varied from mechanical ventilation to trauma, the after effects of torture, ethics in pandemics to reporting of lightning fatalities.

*Paris, Texas :laugh:

j/k <3 dkm

None, with plans on adding 0 by time I enroll in med school.

I'm working on some research, but I seriously doubt any of it will ever get published, and if it did, I probably wouldn't be listed as an author.

I've got one...pending, but I can still put it on apps. I am second author. I've also presented at two poster sessions. I did neuroendocrinology research, looking at schizophrenia models in mice. Lots of blood, sweat, and tears went into that publication...ok, just blood, because those mice bite. A lot. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious what you all think the benefits are of publications are. I have searched this but was wondering what the current users of SDN think. If a person has a 30, 3.6, will publications help get them into a better school? How much better? What are we talking about here? Posters? Abstracts? Peer Reviewed publications? And what journals? Science? JBC? Journal of Kansas A&M(no offense, just thinking abstractly)? I have one publication in Science, one in review at Science, one in preparation for Nature, two submitted to smaller journals and 10 poster abstracts published. How much will this help the above stats? Thanks for your help.

I am curious what you all think the benefits are of publications are. I have searched this but was wondering what the current users of SDN think. If a person has a 30, 3.6, will publications help get them into a better school? How much better? What are we talking about here? Posters? Abstracts? Peer Reviewed publications? And what journals? Science? JBC? Journal of Kansas A&M(no offense, just thinking abstractly)? I have one publication in Science, one in review at Science, one in preparation for Nature, two submitted to smaller journals and 10 poster abstracts published. How much will this help the above stats? Thanks for your help.
it's just something else to set you apart. i don't think it will jump you ahead to a top 10 instead of a top 25 or something like that.

it's just something else to set you apart. i don't think it will jump you ahead to a top 10 instead of a top 25 or something like that.

Do you think it puts someone in place to be competitive for a top 25 school?

I agree with the groundpounder....I think it has less to do with improving your chances at a Top 10 vs Top 20 school, and more with giving you conversation fodder. It may also serve somewhat to "tip the balance" in the favor of the person with more or more prestigious publications if they are trying decide between multiple applicants with similar stats.

I should point out that while my drive to publish is more tied in with my love of teaching than anything else than an attempt to influence admissions, but my #1 choice school also tends to put a lot of emphasis on research and publication. None of the other schools I plan to apply to are what I would traditionally consider "big name" research centers.

Do you think it puts someone in place to be competitive for a top 25 school?
this is all speculative, of course.. but that would largely depend on your GPA, MCAT, and ECs, just like anything else. having a 3.0 and 28 with a publication probably won't move you ahead of a 3.3/30 without a publication. it's just more stuff for the resume that most other people don't have. well, that 1/3 of people don't have, according to our poll. I can honestly say that at my school, 67% of applicants DO NOT have publications.

publications become especially important when going for an MD/PhD program, I'd assume. research experience is good, publications are better. shadowing a doctor is good, getting hands-on experience is better. it's that kind of difference.

1, in Drosophila genetics (gag!), in Genetics. thesis pending on the same topic. frankly, as an MD candidate (not md/phd), i don't think it would have mattered if i'd had 20 -- i think 1 was/is enough. at least at primary care focused schools, which is what i'm most interested in.

two. one second author, one buried somewhere in the three lines of authors. :D methodology, and total synthesis, respectively.

Publications, schmublications! Now ask me how many acceptances I have. :smuggrin:

Publications, schmublications! Now ask me how many acceptances I have. :smuggrin:

how many acceptances do you have? the more important question is what did you do to get them? What about your application stood out?

10+ (including pending work): Article in the American Journal of Bioethics, chapters and case studies for a forthcoming textbook in critical care nephrology, and two sections of the forthcoming Oxford Desk Reference in Critical Care.

how many acceptances do you have? the more important question is what did you do to get them? What about your application stood out?

Oh crap. I didn't think you'd actually ask me. Well, I have 3 so far, waiting to hear from 6 more and interviewing at 3 more. I wish I had something more original to offer, but I think it's mostly my grades and MCAT score that's been getting me the interviews. At the interviews themselves, I seem to get positive comments about my clinical experience (several years as a paramedic), my personal statement, and one of my LORs. If anything, I would advise not to underestimate the importance of those last two items, especially at the more competitive schools where pretty much everyone has good numbers.

I've got four: two where I didn't do much and am a late author, one first author, one second. There's a bunch of other junk in the pipeline too, I believe.

3 published (1 1st author), 1 in press, 2 submitted (1 1st author), 2 in progress.

I think publications do help you, especially at the "top" (research) schools. It's less the fact that you wrote a paper and more the fact that you've shown significant dedication to the same research project and (hopefully) you've learned from the experience that it's something you'd like to continue in the future. They're trying to crank out academic physicians, so it's a sign that you're already on their track...

10+ (including pending work): Article in the American Journal of Bioethics, chapters and case studies for a forthcoming textbook in critical care nephrology, and two sections of the forthcoming Oxford Desk Reference in Critical Care.
You need to write an ethics book. I'd read it :)

(Or have you written one already?)

How necessary are publications to getting into top research schools? I don't have any now, but I should have one or two submissions by the summer.

How necessary are publications to getting into top research schools? I don't have any now, but I should have one or two submissions by the summer.

Its not a question of how many are necessary. its a matter of realizing there are going to be people who more or less may have better profiles then you and not underestimating your competition.

You need to write an ethics book. I'd read it :)

(Or have you written one already?)

Thanks! That is actually in the works - I'm revising my doctoral dissertation to make it less academic and more accessible to the general public (e.g., losing minutiae like discussions of reductionism in molecular biology to focus on the larger argument of psychology and psychiatry in medical ethics). Once I get the Nephrology text and ODR text done, the ethics book is next on the list. Yee-hah. ;)

I think it has less to do with improving your chances at a Top 10 vs Top 20 school, and more with giving you conversation fodder.
Ditto this. If you have loads of pubs, expect to maybe talk about them at intervies, but if you don't have any pubs, don't expect that fact to be anything worth mentioning.

I agree with the "tip the balanced scales" idea with pubs, all things being equal. But very very rarely are all things really equal between two applicants.

This poll seems a bit commical to me... research is essentially the only extracurricular I have had time for and I only have one 1st author pub (and it is not in a high impact journal). All the same I have three MSTP acceptances thus far (one top 25). If I had a bunch of volunteering and or clinical experience I might think that it wasn't the research that got me in... but as it stand I suspect that my single pub was enough to make me stand out from other applicants.

This poll seems a bit commical to me... research is essentially the only extracurricular I have had time for and I only have one 1st author pub (and it is not in a high impact journal). All the same I have three MSTP acceptances thus far (one top 25). If I had a bunch of volunteering and or clinical experience I might think that it wasn't the research that got me in... but as it stand I suspect that my single pub was enough to make me stand out from other applicants.

Well, I think you might be a testament to "quality over quantity." If you are able to talk about your research extensively and intelligently, and had high-quality experiences in your lab, then I think you don't necessarily need a whole bunch of publications to show your worth. I think being able to talk about your research in a way that demonstrates your excellence and ability is far more important than having loads of articles.

I'm starting at LSUNO this August. I have two publications in national journals (spinal meningiomas and c-spine fusion), and several more in the works. We'll see what gets picked up before school starts...

1st Author Journals: 2
1st Author Conferences: 2
1st Author Academic Journal: 1

2nd Author Journals: 1
2nd Author Conferences: 4

Contributing Author, Physical Review Letters: 2
Contributing Author, Other Journals: 4
Contributing Author, Conferences: 6

Just starting PostBac, Priceless :)

1st Author Journals: 2
1st Author Conferences: 2
1st Author Academic Journal: 1

2nd Author Journals: 1
2nd Author Conferences: 4

Contributing Author, Physical Review Letters: 2
Contributing Author, Other Journals: 4
Contributing Author, Conferences: 6

Just starting PostBac, Priceless :)

What does a first author conference mean? What is the difference between journal and academic journal?

10+ pubs? I think 10 is along the lines of how many I've read throughout college.

Can someone tell me if publications during pre-med years matter much when applyin for residency? I would assume they matter just as much as high school stuff matters when applying for medical school. Maybe a bit more.

1 first-author article and 1 second-of-two-authors article out. 1 first-author book chapter in press. 2 first-author articles under review. 1 contributing authorship (3rd of 7-ish). 1 poster at a big national meeting and 1 panel session at a small national meeting (different fields).

Many of them are from the 18 months of full-time research I've done since graduating college, but the 1st author paper that's out was published when I was a sophomore undergrad (which means (a) I had an awesome PI, and (b) nobody cares about it anymore or asked me about it in interviews)

Can someone tell me if publications during pre-med years matter much when applyin for residency?

My understanding is that publications count forever. Or at least they stay on the CV forever--whether anyone actually cares or they're just taking up space, I don't know.

10+ pubs? I think 10 is along the lines of how many I've read throughout college.

Can someone tell me if publications during pre-med years matter much when applyin for residency? I would assume they matter just as much as high school stuff matters when applying for medical school. Maybe a bit more.
I would imagine they would matter more if they were in the field you are going into.....i.e., one of the articles I'm working on now would probably mean more if I pursue emergency medicine than if I pursue....say, ENT.

What does a first author conference mean? What is the difference between journal and academic journal?

By conference, I mean abstract, poster or paper in conference proceedings
Journal = Peer Reviewed journal, Academic journal was the Berkeley McNair Journal

If the residency you are applying to wants research - than having pubs from undergrad will matter a great deal. Pubs are pubs... dosen't matter how old, they still show you can do research. Any application you submit in the future should have all pubs on it... every faculty app (CV) I have seen does this, going all the way be to undergrad.

As to counting conferences as publications... this is just funny. A conference or an abstract is NOT a pub. No one will look at it like a peer reviewed journal article. It shows you are interested in research (i.e. you took the time to go to a conference) but it doesn't show that you can DO research.

First author means that you are the person who contributed most to the actual work and writing of the research that is being published.

Generally authors are listed in order of the percentage they contributed to the research.. Say you are doing research and there is the PI and then there is you and 2 other people who all contribute to the work. If you are listed as 1st author and the remaining two are listed as 2nd and 3rd author, that means you probably were the main person carrying out the study via your lab or clinical work and the one doing the majority of the writing. The 2nd author however is probably someone who may have helped with some of the basic procedures and had some input into the project and the 3rd author again would be like the second author but maybe had an even lesser role then the 2nd author.

First author means that you are the person who contributed most to the actual work and writing of the research that is being published.

Generally authors are listed in order of the percentage they contributed to the research.. Say you are doing research and there is the PI and then there is you and 2 other people who all contribute to the work. If you are listed as 1st author and the remaining two are listed as 2nd and 3rd author, that means you probably were the main person carrying out the study via your lab or clinical work and the one doing the majority of the writing. The 2nd author however is probably someone who may have helped with some of the basic procedures and had some input into the project and the 3rd author again would be like the second author but maybe had an even lesser role then the 2nd author.

I know all this. I just didnt know what the op meant by "first author conference." I didnt know if you could be the first author of a whole conference.

I know all this. I just didnt know what the op meant by "first author conference." I didnt know if you could be the first author of a whole conference.

Maybe they were referring to a powerpoint oral presentation or a poster they presented. That's usually what I think I've seen when it came to conferences.

Just curious, are any of you guys non-science majors? If so, how were you able to get research jobs? :confused: