1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

How many residents and medical students browse this forum?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by Andrew_Doan, Apr 18, 2004.

?

Are you a...

1. Medical Student

109 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. Ophthalmology Resident

20 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Ophthalmology Fellow

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  4. Ophthalmology Staff/Private Physician

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Optometrist or Optometry Student

7 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. Other

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. Andrew_Doan

Andrew_Doan Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anonymous poll. I'm curious who frequent these boards. Clearly, there are people who browse but never post or register on SDN. Please respond to the poll if you come and visit here.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smercury

smercury New Member

Alright, you convinced me to finally register. I've been an occasional reader for a while. I'm finishing up my prelim medicine year now, and starting my ophtho residency at a decent midwest program this year. (I'll have to start reading again to get my knowledge base to at least 4th year med school level before I start!) Keep up the good work with the forum!

4. shredhog65

shredhog65 Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah me too. never posted until now, but i do check it out sometimes. pretty solid forum. I'm a transitional year right now and will be at a great texas program in 2 months. actually, this is probably a good time to ask what (if anything) i should do before i start (reading, etc). tried to start reading the BSCS books but they're so dry. keep in mind that i'm about as lazy as i can get by this point in the year. any suggestions?

5. Andrew_Doan

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    BSCS is fairly dry. I found them to be better as my training progressed because I understood more, and then it was faster reading.

I think the most important thing for a first year resident is to be able to place their diagnoses into categories: trauma, infection, congenital, inflammatory, degenerative, and neoplastic. One way to do this is to read the Wills manual and know the basic ophthalmic disease categories. As you're reading the Wills, have an atlas available so you can look at pictures of the diseases covered.

I thought Kanski's book is useful:
    [​IMG]

I'm trying build up an archive of cases for review on the Iowa site: http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/

My goal is to post about 100 cases/year. Over time, we'll have a complete online ophthalmic reference with photos, imaging studies, and diagnostic tests.

6. shredhog65

shredhog65 Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks. i think (hope) i will get a wills manual from my program, but i might get one now anyway. anyone know where i can get one cheap or a used copy?

7. Redhawk

Redhawk Fellow
    7+ Year Member

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=114638

They still appear to have some for 19.95, although I bought mine from a1books, so I can't absolutely vouch for the vendor.

8. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

What about premeds Dr. Doan?

9. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician

The poll is to determine the current ratio of medical students vs physicians browsing this forum. I apologize if I offended any premeds by not including them in the current poll. Feel free to start your own poll! ;)

10. Visionary

Visionary Medical Retinologist
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I ran across a 5-book set of (somewhat large) pocket sized books: Color Atlas & Synopsis of Clinical Ophthalmology (by Wills Eye). Each of the major subspecialties is represented by a book, complete with pics (not found in the regular Wills manual). Any comments from the forum? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

11. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
    Those are pretty good. Know these books, and you'll have a good foundation for your PGY-2.

12. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
    bump.....

bump....

13. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
    bump.....

bump....

14. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
  15. rubensan

rubensan Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am an IM intern going into ophthalmology residency...alas, I have no category! ;)

16. Visioncam

Visioncam Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

There is no category for optometrists and general public/none of the above. Both groups of people have posted before.

17. MicheleVet

MicheleVet DVM c/o 2005
    5+ Year Member

I'm a veterinarian and I read this forum because my husband is interested in Ophtho....no category for me either. ;)

18. Andrew_Doan

Attending Physician
    okay.. more categories added! ;)