how many schools are you applying to in your AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jae9970

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just counted and I put down 24...

this might be too many, im thinking about slimming it down before i submit the primary

Members don't see this ad.

I just counted and I put down 24...

this might be too many, im thinking about slimming it down before i submit the primary

You should make this into a poll, it's easier.

I'm applying to 30, Michigan resident.

I applied to 25 schools (and already submitted and was verified). But I won't have my MCAT score back until mid-July. If I had my scores now, my list would be closer to 17 or 18. I plan to not fill out a couple of secondaries based on whatever score I get. So, I applied to a broader range for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Confidence people confidence...I'm applying to 10

4...FL hopefully will treat me nicely

Well, if I lived in FL or TX I wouldn't be submitting 25 applications either (regardless of my unknown MCAT score). IL isn't bad, but you can't bet on getting into any IL school, so I want to be sure to cover my bases (especially since I'm a non-trad).

The third Fermat prime?
The atomic number of chlorine??
The number of orthogonal curvilinear coordinate systems in which the 3-variable Laplace equation can be solved using the separation of variables technique???

Yes, I'm talking about....17!

Also, I've taken way too much math and physics.

2! And one of them I'd go to only if everything else didn't work out. 4 to TMDSAS though. Man I love Texas! :D

Probably more though, parents have this crazy idea that I would get into Hopkins or Harvard. It's not THEM doing those damn secondaries, even IF they are footing the fees.

2! And one of them I'd go to only if everything else didn't work out. 4 to TMDSAS though. Man I love Texas! :D

Probably more though, parents have this crazy idea that I would get into Hopkins or Harvard. It's not THEM doing those damn secondaries, even IF they are footing the fees.

You better listen to your parents and APPLY TO THOSE SCHOOLS!!!!

Believe me when I say that you are a DIME A DOZEN (well besides your age...but that is not even that big of a deal).

I truly hope you put in the time to apply to more schools outside of Texas...you will be truly surprised!!!!

You should talk to Doctajay!!!! He had a heck of alot of success (much more than he would probably admitt)

About 40. I have average stats, though (3.52, 3.35 BCPM, 32T MCAT) and no state residency anywhere.

only 3...the 3 in louisiana

i dont want to leave my beloved new orleanssss =/

hopefully these 3 wont screw me over

Members don't see this ad :)
So far my list is at 29. Sucks being in CA. Well, in terms of applying anyway. In terms of how great it is to live here, it can't be beat. :thumbup:

15 now and maybe 15 more when i get mcats scores back.

10 ... I'm thinking about adding more but honestly, $430 for the primaries alone is agrivating. Gotta save the money for secondaries and interviews! :)

So far my list is at 29. Sucks being in CA. Well, in terms of applying anyway. In terms of how great it is to live here, it can't be beat. :thumbup:

Couldn't agree with you more. And yeah, this would definitely be better as a poll.

You better listen to your parents and APPLY TO THOSE SCHOOLS!!!!

Believe me when I say that you are a DIME A DOZEN (well besides your age...but that is not even that big of a deal).

I truly hope you put in the time to apply to more schools outside of Texas...you will be truly surprised!!!!

You should talk to Doctajay!!!! He had a heck of alot of success (much more than he would probably admitt)

o_O

Are you serious? I've done no research! My MCAT is low(for those schools)! My GPA is mediocre(for those schools)! I honestly didn't think I had a chance because I haven't raked up billions of hours volunteering, or gone on mission trips to save little children or anything. I consider myself "average". Do tell why you think I'm a "DIME A DOZEN" because I don't see myself that way. Nothing in my stats makes me think "WOW, you're GONNA GO TO THE TOP!" :oops:

About 40. I have average stats, though (3.52, 3.35 BCPM, 32T MCAT) and no state residency anywhere.

Thats basically me, except switch the GPAs, and call me a CA resident. :laugh:

40 schools. :hardy:

o_O

Are you serious? I've done no research! My MCAT is low(for those schools)! My GPA is mediocre(for those schools)! I honestly didn't think I had a chance because I haven't raked up billions of hours volunteering, or gone on mission trips to save little children or anything. I consider myself "average". Do tell why you think I'm a "DIME A DOZEN" because I don't see myself that way. Nothing in my stats makes me think "WOW, you're GONNA GO TO THE TOP!" :oops:

TheRealMD: Errr, "a dime a dozen" means that someone's NOT special. I.e., you could buy a dozen of them with a dime. But yes, he was saying that he thinks you've got a shot. I'm guessing what he felt was so special was not just your stats, but your stats in conjunction with your URM status. Also, I believe he mentioned another SDNer named doctajay because he's a URM as well, who met with greater success than he thought he would. Good luck.

I don't know how I ended up with so many schools, but I ended up having 24 AMCAS schools, and I'm applying to a couple Texas schools. Hopefully, someone will want me.

I don't know how I ended up with so many schools, but I ended up having 24 AMCAS schools, and I'm applying to a couple Texas schools. Hopefully, someone will want me.

To be honest, don't be surprised if Texas schools don't show you any love. You're stats are only average for Texas applicants and they've got that 90% rule going on.

i'm applying to 23 schools. PA resident.

hey im a PA resident too and im applying to 24 schools..

care to share which ones you are applying to?? you can message me if you want

12 for me... 4 in my home state (OH), 3 near home but OOS, and 5 further away.

Holy cow, 30? 40? I was told by my pre-health center that 10-15 was the recommended range and that, provided the schools are reasonable choices, you're as likely to be admitted in 1 of 10 schools as 1 of 20 schools. What's the deal?

California Resident is my reason =(

I'm going with 17...I really can't think of anymore that a) would actually look at me because my numbers are not so lovely and b) I would actually go to...

PA resident (in DC now...), I have 21 schools so far...my list keeps changing as I research programs...and I'm taking the july mcat so I'll probably apply to 7-10 now then the rest after I get my scores.

Ok so after debating how many schools to apply to for about a week now, I've decided the more the better. I mean, what's a couple more bucks if it means you'll have better odds right? I'm a CA resident and I counted about 30 to 40 schools I would definitely like to go to. So yeah I'm applying to more than 30 and less than 40 and if I feel like I'm getting overwhelmed by 2ndaries, than I will slim down my list then. But, for now, I'll spend the hardearned $ I made this year. It's like gambling :) Hope that helps!