Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just curious if I'm the only crazy person who is thinking of applying to almost every school. How many schools are you planning on applying to and why?
---
11 Months later
Alright guys, it has been almost 11 months and I would like to see the results of how things went. Did you apply to too many schools or not enough? Hopefully this can help out applicants for next cycle.
I don't feel like creating an account on MDapps so I'll post a quick summary of my cycle here. Feel free to add as much or as little to your post as you want.
Alright guys, it has been almost 11 months and I would like to see the results of how things went. Did you apply to too many schools or not enough? Hopefully this can help out applicants for next cycle.
I don't feel like creating an account on MDapps so I'll post a quick summary of my cycle here. Feel free to add as much or as little to your post as you want.
Alright guys, it has been almost 11 months and I would like to see the results of how things went. Did you apply to too many schools or not enough? Hopefully this can help out applicants for next cycle.
I don't feel like creating an account on MDapps so I'll post a quick summary of my cycle here. Feel free to add as much or as little to your post as you want.
Background:
Took my MCAT in July and ended up getting a better score than I thought I would. I had originally planned to apply at ~15 low/mid tier schools but ended up throwing my application to 29+ schools.
The stats:
3.4-3.7 GPA /26-29 MCAT
Schools applied: 29+ DO schools
Reason: Got my MCAT results back and didn't have time to research all the schools. I decided I would just dump my application everywhere and decide as the secondaries came in. According to napkin calculations I spent $1,200 on my primary. I didn't apply to TouroNY because of secondary price and another school I can't remember off the top of my head. I would have saved $525 if I only applied to 15 schools originally but I probably would have dropped DMU and WesternU for WCU and Touro Nevada.
That $525 bought me some time and a safety net if had gotten no IIs by November. I could just send more secondaries later on.
What I might have done differently... It costs $50+35x to send out your primary as a second batch. That is $20 more than what I originally paid but if I had gotten an acceptance I wouldn't have needed to pay this $545.
Secondaries: There is NO WAY I could have finished 29+ secondaries so I narrowed them down to ~15 places I really wanted to check out. The breakdown was roughly 6 Top tier, 6 mid tier and 3 low tier.
Reason: I tried to make sure that I sent out 1:1:1 secondary to each tier. I probably got a bit greedy by not applying to enough low tiers. Lets assume the average was $60/secondary * 15 schools = $900.
Results: ~15 secondaries, 3 post-secondary rejections, 8 IIs, attended 6 interviews, 1 post-interview rejection, 2 waitlists, 2 acceptances.
Post Game Analysis:
Positive:
I'm really glad I applied broadly because my only post-interview rejection was from a place that I thought was my 90% match.
Thanks to applying broadly I ended up interviewing at schools that I thought I would have no chance at (DMU, WesternU, and KCUMB) and got accepted into a fantastic school. I ended up hating 1 school so much that I hoped it would turn out to be a rejection. That experience really taught me how important these interviews are. You get to evaluate the school and they evaluate you as a candidate.
I only got IIs from 1/2 the places I sent secondaries to because my list might have been too top heavy and/or regional. I shouldn't have applied to OSU or OU-HCOM. AZCOM's tuition is too high so I didn't even bother following up when they said a LOI would help. CUSOM and MUCOM would have been better choices. If my interviewing skills were better I truly believe 2 of those waitlist decisions would have been acceptances.
The 2 interviews I didn't go to were new/low tier schools. That might have raised my acceptance number a bit.
Negative:
There are 2-3 schools that were regional and I shouldn't have applied to them in the first place. Got rejection from OSU and haven't heard from OU-HCOM yet.
LMU-DCOM never got back to me. I'm shocked about this because it's a pretty cool school and I thought my stats were good enough for them.
I really should have applied to more lower tiers. My interviewing skills aren't the best and if I hadn't landed that 1 acceptance I would have been rushing to fill out more secondaries.
My only regret was not applying to PCOM, MUCOM and MSUCOM. Those 3 are great schools and who knows how things might have turned out. Even a rejection would have been worth the $$$.
---
There is a point of diminishing returns. I would say 13-17 schools is the best bang for your buck if you're planning to apply broadly.
The rest either have regional bias or something weird going on.
Regional bias:
OU-HCOM - Public and require 5 years service post graduation. You sign a contract for this that takes affect once you matriculate. [3] [4]
OSU--86% in-state (about 15 OOS students/year) [6]
MSU - Public and $80k OOS tuition. 86% are IS [5]
PNWU -
TCOM - Public and required to take 90% IS [2]
VCOM -
WVSOM -
Rowan - Public - 88% from NJ [1]
Others:
CCOM - Pretty tough to get into unless you have competitive stats.
[1] http://www.rowan.edu/som/about/index.html
[2] http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200679/admissions_and_outreach/1535/frequently_asked_questions
[3] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/aid/fin_aid_ohio_residency.htm
[4] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/admissions/contract.htm
[5] http://www.com.msu.edu/About/FactSheet3.htm
[6] http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/com/admissions/
If someone can help me find sources for OOS figures on other schools that would be great.
---
11 Months later
Alright guys, it has been almost 11 months and I would like to see the results of how things went. Did you apply to too many schools or not enough? Hopefully this can help out applicants for next cycle.
I don't feel like creating an account on MDapps so I'll post a quick summary of my cycle here. Feel free to add as much or as little to your post as you want.
Alright guys, it has been almost 11 months and I would like to see the results of how things went. Did you apply to too many schools or not enough? Hopefully this can help out applicants for next cycle.
I don't feel like creating an account on MDapps so I'll post a quick summary of my cycle here. Feel free to add as much or as little to your post as you want.
Alright guys, it has been almost 11 months and I would like to see the results of how things went. Did you apply to too many schools or not enough? Hopefully this can help out applicants for next cycle.
I don't feel like creating an account on MDapps so I'll post a quick summary of my cycle here. Feel free to add as much or as little to your post as you want.
Background:
Took my MCAT in July and ended up getting a better score than I thought I would. I had originally planned to apply at ~15 low/mid tier schools but ended up throwing my application to 29+ schools.
The stats:
3.4-3.7 GPA /26-29 MCAT
Schools applied: 29+ DO schools
Reason: Got my MCAT results back and didn't have time to research all the schools. I decided I would just dump my application everywhere and decide as the secondaries came in. According to napkin calculations I spent $1,200 on my primary. I didn't apply to TouroNY because of secondary price and another school I can't remember off the top of my head. I would have saved $525 if I only applied to 15 schools originally but I probably would have dropped DMU and WesternU for WCU and Touro Nevada.
That $525 bought me some time and a safety net if had gotten no IIs by November. I could just send more secondaries later on.
What I might have done differently... It costs $50+35x to send out your primary as a second batch. That is $20 more than what I originally paid but if I had gotten an acceptance I wouldn't have needed to pay this $545.
Secondaries: There is NO WAY I could have finished 29+ secondaries so I narrowed them down to ~15 places I really wanted to check out. The breakdown was roughly 6 Top tier, 6 mid tier and 3 low tier.
Reason: I tried to make sure that I sent out 1:1:1 secondary to each tier. I probably got a bit greedy by not applying to enough low tiers. Lets assume the average was $60/secondary * 15 schools = $900.
Results: ~15 secondaries, 3 post-secondary rejections, 8 IIs, attended 6 interviews, 1 post-interview rejection, 2 waitlists, 2 acceptances.
Post Game Analysis:
Positive:
I'm really glad I applied broadly because my only post-interview rejection was from a place that I thought was my 90% match.
Thanks to applying broadly I ended up interviewing at schools that I thought I would have no chance at (DMU, WesternU, and KCUMB) and got accepted into a fantastic school. I ended up hating 1 school so much that I hoped it would turn out to be a rejection. That experience really taught me how important these interviews are. You get to evaluate the school and they evaluate you as a candidate.
I only got IIs from 1/2 the places I sent secondaries to because my list might have been too top heavy and/or regional. I shouldn't have applied to OSU or OU-HCOM. AZCOM's tuition is too high so I didn't even bother following up when they said a LOI would help. CUSOM and MUCOM would have been better choices. If my interviewing skills were better I truly believe 2 of those waitlist decisions would have been acceptances.
The 2 interviews I didn't go to were new/low tier schools. That might have raised my acceptance number a bit.
Negative:
There are 2-3 schools that were regional and I shouldn't have applied to them in the first place. Got rejection from OSU and haven't heard from OU-HCOM yet.
LMU-DCOM never got back to me. I'm shocked about this because it's a pretty cool school and I thought my stats were good enough for them.
I really should have applied to more lower tiers. My interviewing skills aren't the best and if I hadn't landed that 1 acceptance I would have been rushing to fill out more secondaries.
My only regret was not applying to PCOM, MUCOM and MSUCOM. Those 3 are great schools and who knows how things might have turned out. Even a rejection would have been worth the $$$.
---
There is a point of diminishing returns. I would say 13-17 schools is the best bang for your buck if you're planning to apply broadly.
The rest either have regional bias or something weird going on.
Regional bias:
OU-HCOM - Public and require 5 years service post graduation. You sign a contract for this that takes affect once you matriculate. [3] [4]
OSU--86% in-state (about 15 OOS students/year) [6]
MSU - Public and $80k OOS tuition. 86% are IS [5]
PNWU -
TCOM - Public and required to take 90% IS [2]
VCOM -
WVSOM -
Rowan - Public - 88% from NJ [1]
Others:
CCOM - Pretty tough to get into unless you have competitive stats.
[1] http://www.rowan.edu/som/about/index.html
[2] http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200679/admissions_and_outreach/1535/frequently_asked_questions
[3] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/aid/fin_aid_ohio_residency.htm
[4] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/admissions/contract.htm
[5] http://www.com.msu.edu/About/FactSheet3.htm
[6] http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/com/admissions/
If someone can help me find sources for OOS figures on other schools that would be great.
Last edited:

