How many schools are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many DO schools are you applying to?

• 1-4

Votes: 34 10.7%
  • 5-8

Votes: 58 18.3%
  • 9-12

Votes: 47 14.8%
  • 13-16

Votes: 60 18.9%
  • 17-20

Votes: 38 12.0%
  • 21-24

Votes: 25 7.9%
  • 25-28

Votes: 20 6.3%
  • 29+

Votes: 35 11.0%

• Total voters
Does it cost more if you do not submit all of your primary applications together? Could I send out 5 one week and 5 the following week so that I break up the time that I will receive the secondaries?

It would cost a bit more. I don't remember the exact numbers but the main gist is...

$175 + 35x where x is the number of schools you apply. If you applied to another 5 then it would be $50 + $35x. So the difference is $15 in that example.

I think they raised the prices this year so it should be somewhere between $20-$50 more.

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't know how I am going to apply to more than 5-6. I am stupefied that some people are actually applying to 20+ schools!

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don't know how I am going to apply to more than 5-6. I am stupefied that some people are actually applying to 20+ schools!
Now is not the time to be cheap :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, I applied to 3 DO schools, interviewed and was accepted to my first choice early in the cycle, so I didn't even finish the secondary for one, and withdrew from the other.

It's hard to get into medical school. Individual schools have 5-10% acceptance rates.

I think I applied to like 15-20 schools. It worked out pretty well.

Anymore than that and you'll want to pull your hair out after the 15th secondary.

I will be applying to 7 DO schools. My number is a bit lower than the average, but I have good reason. Another thing to consider is not only the number of schools, but the chances you have at them.. i.e. Schools for which you are very competitive, schools at which you have a fair shot, schools that are a stretch, etc. These things should be balanced in a way to optimize your spending and outcome.

Arguments can be made either way for how many schools to apply to.. just realize that most people who wish they applied to fewer actually got in somewhere. I'd advise you apply to as many as fits your situation, but be reasonable and trim the excess ones (those with strong regional bias against you or those that are fairly unlikely by their averages.)

Anyways that's just my answer to the question. Best of luck to everyone.

5 DO schools and 25 MD
UNECOM
NYCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CCOM

12 primary DO. 8 Completed. 3 interview invites. One post interview rejection. One acceptance, and one didn't attend/canceled.

Members don't see this ad :)
12 primary DO. 8 Completed. 3 interview invites. One post interview rejection. One acceptance, and one didn't attend/canceled.
I guess I will ask your stats as well. I am planning on applying to 12 schools as well... I have heard mixed things about that being either too little or too much. Yet 12 feels right to me....

Everyone here knows my story, so I'm not going to go into the details of my application.

Took the mcat in April, applied for the application fee waiver in May, and submitted my primary application to 12 schools during the first week of the application cycle (June).

If my memory serves me correctly, secondary applications came in as early as late June. Prior to that, I had already pre-written my essays for the secondary prompts. Therefore, I was able to have a relatively fast turn-around rate for my secondaries. I basically turned in all my secondaries within 2-3 days of receiving them.

I was blessed to receive more II's than I had anticipated. I was able to schedule all my interviews throughout September and October. Of the 8 scheduled interviews, I ended up attending 3 and canceled the rest.

In a nutshell, 12 primaries, 8 secondaries, interviewed at 3, got accepted to 2 and was waitlisted at one (and eventually got rejected).

Reactions: 1 users
My cycle is coming to a close, so figured I will share how I fared --
11 primaries, 9 secondaries (2 rejected pre-secondary), 6 interviews, 3 acceptances and 3 waitlists.
30 MCAT, 3.36 cGPA and 3.13 sGPA after the 1-yr SMP is counted in. All B+'s in the 1-yr SMP, sprinkling of C's in pre-reqs from undergrad, very strong non-science GPA from undergrad. minimal DO shadowing the summer of application year and a DO letter from that same summer. Would have been cheaper to take classes instead of doing the SMP, but hindsight is 20/20 and I took my chances with the linked MD program, but did not get in.
Best thing I have done was pre-type a paragraph on "why DO" in anticipation of secondaries. Almost every school asks a variation of that question. Submitted third week of June, approved second week of July, all secondaries in before August.

Great follow up. It seems the better your stats, the less schools you can get away with applying to. DO schools don't get as many apps as MD schools so the chances of getting your app randomly thrown away are lower I think. If your stats and ECs are in order, you will definitely get a secondary and probably an interview from schools in your "range."

I ended up with ii from all but one school, although some were so late in the cycle they might have been for waitlist spots. That school didn't even have high stats compared to other schools I applied to, so idk what happened. I signed into my secondary and there may have been a problem with submission but I don't care enough at this point to even look into it. Also, after I got my #1, Touro NV sent me an ii even though I couldn't pay a secondary fee because of website issues and they wouldn't get back to me despite my attempts. Idk what the hell that was about, but I was disappointed because I was pretty interested in the school.

I applied to 13 DO and 8 MD schools, and received 4 DO ii's and 3 MD ii's. Stats are 25 MCAT (6P/10V/9B), and 3.5 GPA, both science and cumulative (they are within a couple hundredths of a point of each other). Attended 6 interviews (3 DO and 3 MD). I felt like the 3 MD interviews were almost a waste of time, as my feedback was basically "if it wasn't for that MCAT..........". I was rejected at all three. It really irked me that they even invited me to interview knowing this.....I live in Alaska, and travel for interviews in ungodly expensive. At any rate, I'm glad I went to them because it gave me great practice and was a nice experience regardless. My DO interviews were a mixed bag, and two were not great experiences. I'm talking like one was a nightmare, and another just rubbed me the wrong way. I had decided against the "nightmare" school while in the interview, and I was rejected there anyways, so it was meant to be. The other one would have actually been a great school, but the interview didn't go so hot and I was rejected there as well.

In the end, the interview that I felt the best at, and the school that I felt the most "at home" at (besides one of my MD interviews), I was accepted to. I definitely thank my lucky stars that I got in ANYWHERE this cycle, as I was not anticipating an MCAT score that low (I submitted my MD app before I received my score.....OOPS!). I can't wait to start this fall!

Also, I don't know if this is one of those "old wive's tales" or not, but most people I've spoken to about this (physicians, residents, etc) say that an average applicant with average stats can typically expect one interview for every 10 applications completed. I was definitely not expecting any more than one or two interviews this cycle, and was pleasantly surprised.

I applied to 35 schools (25 MD and 10 DO) with a 3.8s/3.6c/29.

Received interviews from all the DO schools and was accepted to 4 out of the 5 interviews I attended, one WL. No MD interviews.

I could have probably applied to fewer DO schools but I also wanted to get a feel for as many of them as possible. I regret applying to so many MD schools but hindsight is 20/20. That $3k is a small price to pay to avoid always wondering what if I had applied to more schools...at least that's what I'm telling myself as I'm wishing that money was still in my pocket now, ha.

I guess I will ask your stats as well. I am planning on applying to 12 schools as well... I have heard mixed things about that being either too little or too much. Yet 12 feels right to me....
c3.2/s3.6/27. I think 12 is fine. Anything beyond 16 is too much for any applicant.

3.4 GPA 28 MCAT (10/9/9). I sent out 9 primaries and 7 secondaries to DO (edit: no secondary to Touro CA strictly based on how weird the format was, probably should have applied though). 3 DO ii's, 2 acceptances, and 1 rejection. VCOM rejected me, probably because my two faculty interviews were short, and I think they both thought I was an MD reject ("so why'd you apply so late?" "your stats look good, but we got your application late..." etc.), though my student interview said he thought it went really well.

I did MD too, 6 primaries, 5 secondaries (didn't do EVMS' graduate school dean letter...), 2 ii's, 2 waitlist. Applied on the deadline at all these schools cause I didn't think I had a realistic chance. Got close to the last interview slot at both schools, so not sure they were comfortable with my stats even with the interview.

I'm a reapp too, so that's probably why I've got a little less volume. Last cycle I applied to 6 DO 12 MD, and I attended CUSOM's interview (really late) and realized I was probably a bad interview at most southern schools, but I didn't feel comfortable either. So cut anything off south of VA. Avoided most of the midwest too, because I felt comfortable with the range of my list while excluding those. Hindsight I probably would have applied to more midwest schools though.

Last edited:
11 DO, 7 MD

c3.1/s3.7/31 nontrad

DO: secondaries @ all but 1, ii @8, accepted to first interview so cancelled the rest

MD: secondaries to all 7, one interview invite, waitlisted but low enough on the list that I know it's basically a rejection

11 schools total, (1 MD)

3.5 c, 3.4 s, 25 MCAT

Reapp

ORM

I think I filled out 8 secondaries

Received iis at KCUMB, MUCOM, CUSOM and DMU.

Attended interviews at CUSOM and DMU.

Was rejected at CUSOM and accepted at DMU. After I was accepted at DMU, I cancelled my other interviews.

I'm sitting at 3.0/3.15- MCAT on 8/21- I'm applying to as many as I can afford because I know with those stats I need as much help as I can get.

I'm sitting at 3.0/3.15- MCAT on 8/21- I'm applying to as many as I can afford because I know with those stats I need as much help as I can get.
Are you applying this year? I am on the fence about whether to apply this year or not due to a late summer MCAT.

There is a point of diminishing returns. I would say 13-17 schools is the best bang for your buck if you're planning to apply broadly.

The rest either have regional bias or something weird going on.

Regional bias:
OU-HCOM - Public and require 5 years service post graduation. You sign a contract for this that takes affect once you matriculate. [3] [4]
OSU - Public
MSU - Public and $80k OOS tuition. 86% are IS [5]
PNWU -
TCOM - Public and required to take 90% IS [2]
VCOM -
WVSOM -
Rowan - Public - 88% from NJ [1]

Others:
CCOM - Pretty tough to get into unless you have competitive stats.

[1] http://www.rowan.edu/som/about/index.html
[2] http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200679/admissions_and_outreach/1535/frequently_asked_questions
[3] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/aid/fin_aid_ohio_residency.htm
[4] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/admissions/contract.htm
[5] http://www.com.msu.edu/About/FactSheet3.htm

If someone can help me find sources for OOS figures on other schools that would be great.

Last edited:
5 DO schools

Reapplicant

3.6 c, 3.7 s, 28 MCAT.

ii's @ VCOM, CUSOM, PNWU, Comp-NW

Accepted @ CUSOM, PNWU, Comp-NW

Learned from my mistake last year and applied very early. I was done interviewing by 10/18.

PCOM is about 50% IS - or so says their admissions office in an email when I asked.

Are you applying this year? I am on the fence about whether to apply this year or not due to a late summer MCAT.

Yes I'm applying this upcoming cycle. I'll submit my app 6/1 and release my score when it comes out in September.

There is a point of diminishing returns. I would say 13-17 schools is the best bang for your buck if you're planning to apply broadly.

The rest either have regional bias or something weird going on.

Regional bias:
OU-HCOM - Public and require 5 years service post graduation. You sign a contract for this that takes affect once you matriculate. [3] [4]
OSU - Public
MSU - Public and $80k OOS tuition. 86% are IS [5]
PNWU -
TCOM - Public and required to take 90% IS [2]
VCOM -
WVSOM -
Rowan - Public - 88% from NJ [1]

Others:
CCOM - Pretty tough to get into unless you have competitive stats.

[1] http://www.rowan.edu/som/about/index.html
[2] http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200679/admissions_and_outreach/1535/frequently_asked_questions
[3] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/aid/fin_aid_ohio_residency.htm
[4] http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/admissions/contract.htm
[5] http://www.com.msu.edu/About/FactSheet3.htm

If someone can help me find sources for OOS figures on other schools that would be great.

Two of those schools are on my list- WVSOM and PCOM. I realize there may be (key word-may) no benefit after a certain number but I'll feel more secure maximizing my chance.

5 DO schools

Reapplicant

3.6 c, 3.7 s, 28 MCAT.

ii's @ VCOM, CUSOM, PNWU, Comp-NW

Accepted @ CUSOM, PNWU, Comp-NW

Learned from my mistake last year and applied very early. I was done interviewing by 10/18.

This is the importance of applying early. You were basically done interviewing by the time I was complete everywhere.

My interviews were all in November and January.

1.) Someone in your position would have the luxury of knowing where they are going and planning accordingly early on.

2.) December and January are the WORST times to travel IMHO. Flights are canceled or delayed due to weather.

3.) Try and take your suit bag with you onto the plane. They have a closet where you can store it. Losing your luggage is one thing but you don't want to be searching for a suit 1 day before your interview! Most airlines allow 2 free carry on items.

Last edited:
Two of those schools are on my list- WVSOM and PCOM. I realize there may be (key word-may) no benefit after a certain number but I'll feel more secure maximizing my chance.

I took PCOM off the list because it's a private school and someone else mentioned they took 50% IS. They accepted a wide range of stats so I think it's good you're adding them.

WVSOM showed me a lot of love. I can't go into details but I kind of got the feeling they REALLY wanted me to interview there. Since the secondary is free until you interview I think it's a good bet to apply there. The only thing you have to lose is a few minutes of your time.

Thanks for the advice! Are you accepted or reapplying this cycle?

EDIT: nvm, I'll keep my snark to myself.

Congrats! I have dreams about getting an acceptance. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated! :)

This is the importance of applying early. You were basically done interviewing by the time I was complete everywhere.

My interviews were all in November and January.

1.) Someone in your position would have the luxury of knowing where they are going and planning accordingly early on.

2.) December and January are the WORST times to travel IMHO. Flights are canceled or delayed due to weather.

3.) Try and take your suit bag with you onto the plane. They have a closet where you can store it. Losing your luggage is one thing but you don't want to be searching for a suit 1 day before your interview! Most airlines allow 2 free carry on items.

The other part that was nice was by my 3rd interview, I already had an acceptance. So I was a lot less nervous for my last 2 interviews.

Applying to 24 DO schools. Any advice on which schools really love URMs?

which type of URM?

Someone asked me to clarify what I was talking about with the application costs.

1.) $175+$35(x)

The first application fee costs $175 + 35(x) for each school after the first one.

Lets say you want to apply to 16 schools but don't have $735.

Fill out maybe 1/2?
$175 + 35(8) = $455.

If you get accepted by October then you're done.

2.) If things aren't going well the 2nd round is $50 + 35(x)

$50+35(8) = $330.

You pay $50 instead of $35 for that one school. That's a difference of just $15.

*The prices might be different this year.

I still recommend sending applications in 1 early batch and broadly if you have the funds. DO NOT apply to all top tier programs. Break it down unless you have really exceptional stats and interviewing skills.

In November I got people with 3.2/26 asking why they haven't heard anything yet. I'll ask them for their list and it's CCOM, DMU, LECOM-B, NOVA, Western U, KCUMB, AZCOM, KCOM, PCOM, NYIT etc.

90% of the time in these situations I could predict the list before they even told me.

I'm sure @user3 remembers these posts.

---

Applying to 24 DO schools. Any advice on which schools really love URMs?

Send me your list through PM and lets see what you have. I think 24 might be a bit much.

do not hesitate to apply to lower stat schools pegged as "regional". I have seen some underdog applicants get ii's from some of these schools while being out of region.

But anyway, LUCOM, LMU, WVSOM, and ACOM seem to be friendly to lower stats while not being too regional. ATSU-SOMA also seems to be open to those with lower numbers that fit their mission.

Last edited:
Someone asked me to clarify what I was talking about with the application costs.

1.) $175+$35(x)

The first application fee costs $175 + 35(x) for each school after the first one.

Lets say you want to apply to 16 schools but don't have $735.

Fill out maybe 1/2?
$175 + 35(8) = $455.

If you get accepted by October then you're done.

2.) If things aren't going well the 2nd round is $50 + 35(x)

$50+35(8) = $330.

You pay $50 instead of $35 for that one school. That's a difference of just $15.

*The prices might be different this year.

I still recommend sending applications in 1 early batch and broadly if you have the funds. DO NOT apply to all top tier programs. Break it down unless you have really exceptional stats and interviewing skills.

In November I got people with 3.2/26 asking why they haven't heard anything yet. I'll ask them for their list and it's CCOM, DMU, LECOM-B, NOVA, Western U, KCUMB, AZCOM, KCOM, PCOM, NYIT etc.

90% of the time in these situations I could predict the list before they even told me.

I'm sure @user3 remembers these posts.

---

Send me your list through PM and lets see what you have. I think 24 might be a bit much.
Will do! Thanks for the help!

50% Native American
Whoa! Anywhere. Apply anywhere. If you hit some low end landmarks (3.3 and 25) you should be a lock with good timing (apply early) and uneventful interviews (don't mess up). Good luck.

Does anyone know when the new osteopathic medical college information book will available for free download?

Whoa! Anywhere. Apply anywhere. If you hit some low end landmarks (3.3 and 25) you should be a lock with good timing (apply early) and uneventful interviews (don't mess up). Good luck.
Thank you for the advice!

BTW To all those who have given me advice in the past, thank you. SDN has been a big help.

Ended up only applying to DO schools as I ran out of money and time.

I applied to 12 schools and completed 10 secondaries. Got 8 ii and attended 2 of them. I wasted a lot of money on schools in the capacity that I basically sent secondaries to about 6 schools that statistically were safety schools for me. I wish I would have put some more heavy hitters on my list (namely OSU) but, both my fiance and I were lucky enough to be accepted to the same school and we couldn't be happier. The school I will be attending was my top choice from day one tied with NSU and LECOM-B.

Also, I also wish I would have done more research on the schools. I'll be frank, if I was only accepted to WCU I would have been in trouble, because under no circumstance would I attend that school and then I'd be stuck the next year checking the box that I've been accepted to a US school before. Do your homework, kids, and don't apply to a school you obviously wouldn't want to attend. I applied like I'd be lucky to get interviewed anywhere when in reality I was lucky enough to be in the driver's seat most of the application cycle. Be objective about your numbers.

Last edited: