Quantcast

How many science/math classes in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isupsych253

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi guys,

I am in my 4th year in my undergraduate studies with a psychology major. I have not taken a lot of chem, bio, physics, etc courses, and if I did, it was when I was a freshman for general education requirements and I didn't do excellent in them. I've recently been thinking about going the M.D. or D.O. instead of the Ph.D. (I know it may be too late), but I have a 3.5 GPA with a double major and a lot of research experience in psych, what do I need to do to have a shot at med school?

TheSeanieB

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in my 4th year in my undergraduate studies with a psychology major. I have not taken a lot of chem, bio, physics, etc courses, and if I did, it was when I was a freshman for general education requirements and I didn't do excellent in them. I've recently been thinking about going the M.D. or D.O. instead of the Ph.D. (I know it may be too late), but I have a 3.5 GPA with a double major and a lot of research experience in psych, what do I need to do to have a shot at med school?

You need to take the MCAT and score 28 or better and you will get into a DO school for sure as long as you have taken the basic science requirements + biochem.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well your psych research is going to be a nice EC. Overall to be competitive you need a few things.. stats ( Gpa/Mcat for DO : 3.48/~26( 27+ for more competitive places like CCOM), for MD: 3.66/31). You also need clinical volunteering.. preferably over 100 hours spread out over a year. You also should need get some non-medical volunteering in as well. Oh.. and before I get ahead of my self you need to complete the pre-reqs.

Pre-Reqs:
1 year of general chemistry w/lab
1 year of organic chemistry w/lab
1 year of general physics ( calculus or algebra based, it doesn't matter and unless you got As and loved calculus then I would recommend algebra based) w/lab
1 Year of Biology w/lab
1 English comp course
2 semesters of college mathematics ( Calc, stat, etc)

It is also recommended that you have
Biochemistry under you belt to maximize your potential to get in.
Some other schools have other requirements, such as KCUMB's genetics requirement.