How many semester of English should i take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alee_25

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a freshman at Cal, but i have a quesiton about medical schools. How many semester of english should i take for Medical Schools? Bear in mind that english is not my favorite subject and luckily i passed out of 1 semester of english because of APs. I know i already have to take 1 more semester of english, but schools like cornell want about 6 semester of english (crazy!). Whats a safe number of semester of english that will look favorabley upon med schools? Thx

Members don't see this ad.

i think that was six semester credits, some schools also require 9 semester credits, (3 three-credit english classes) i know what u mean about english, i already dropped my first one, and i am not looking forward to retaking, but..... good luck

Take as many as you can, at least a year's worth.

Seriously. They seem to really like english classes. They don't necessarily hurt when they're not there, but when you have taken a few, it helps you to stand out. It'll help you for the MCAT too.

TAKE 'EM.

i think cornell requires 9 semester credits-- this means 3 semester classes.

i took only one english class in college (my first semester freshmen year), and it was fine when i applied.

they want to see whether you can think and write, so if you take other courses that show you know how to write (ie, history, poli sci, etc.), then i think you're fine.

if you don't like english and don't think you'll do well in english, take the bare minimum.

all the best,
swaroop