How many successful Pre-Med/Medical students had a high SAT score?

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to do pre-med and then apply to MD/DO schools and work to become a doctor of course. I have a above average SAT score but it does not break the 2000 range. Is this a sign that I am too stupid to become a physician. I always had "A's" in science courses because I have a lot of interest in it and I always put extra effort into the classes. I'm afraid that my SAT score of 1850 is an indicator of my intelligence? How were your guys' SAT scores? Thanks :/

Members don't see this ad.

My goal is to do pre-med and then apply to MD/DO schools and work to become a doctor of course. I have a above average SAT score but it does not break the 2000 range. Is this a sign that I am too stupid to become a physician. I always had "A's" in science courses because I have a lot of interest in it and I always put extra effort into the classes. I'm afraid that my SAT score of 1850 is an indicator of my intelligence? How were your guys' SAT scores? Thanks :/

search function. there already is a thread like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was 1330 on the old system, which was I think slightly above average but not horribly impressive. SAT scores mean very little beyond getting you in to college. My SAT didn't predict my college performance, and my MCAT didn't really predict my med school performance. I wouldn't think 2 steps ahead just yet.

Mine was 1330 on the old system, which was I think slightly above average but not horribly impressive. SAT scores mean very little beyond getting you in to college. My SAT didn't predict my college performance, and my MCAT didn't really predict my med school performance. I wouldn't think 2 steps ahead just yet.

SAT is not a good predictor of anything. That colleges continue to use it is centered on politics and stubbornness, despite deep research showing that high school GPA is the best predictor of college performance, and that including the SAT only explains about 3% of the variance in undergraduate performance--basically, that means that it's a really expensive that doesn't tell us what we want. In reality, the SAT subject tests (when combined with high school GPA) provide the best estimate of undergraduate performance.

This is the latest book detailing the ineffectiveness of the SAT. It has chapters in it written by the chief statistician of the UC system schools, administrators for Johns Hopkins, and former President of Princeton among many others. http://www.amazon.com/SAT-Wars-Test-Optional-College-Admissions/dp/0807752622

You can be sure that the SAT doesn't predict medical school performance either. At the end of the day it's an expensive test that benefits those that have enough money to spend on test prep without any statistically significant correlation with college performance.

SAT is not a good predictor of anything. That colleges continue to use it is centered on politics and stubbornness, despite deep research showing that high school GPA is the best predictor of college performance, and that including the SAT only explains about 3% of the variance in undergraduate performance--basically, that means that it's a really expensive that doesn't tell us what we want. In reality, the SAT subject tests (when combined with high school GPA) provide the best estimate of undergraduate performance.

This is the latest book detailing the ineffectiveness of the SAT. It has chapters in it written by the chief statistician of the UC system schools, administrators for Johns Hopkins, and former President of Princeton among many others. http://www.amazon.com/SAT-Wars-Test-Optional-College-Admissions/dp/0807752622

You can be sure that the SAT doesn't predict medical school performance either. At the end of the day it's an expensive test that benefits those that have enough money to spend on test prep without any statistically significant correlation with college performance.
Thanks!

After you're in college, the SAT is worthless, and after you're in Med school, the MCAT is worthless. If you did bad or did great on the previous standardized exam (SAT, MCAT, whatever), get over yourself and study for the next one.

Alright then get out of this post, ridiculous!

I believe what ppfizemn was saying is that if you want the info, you will perform the search. Literally 5 clicks away.

To your original point, my ACT was the height of average, (25) but I always score well in my AP courses. Honestly I am just going to work my butt off in UG courses to prove it wrong. Even if there was a correlation between SAT/ACT scores and results in college, would you work more or less based on that?

Members don't see this ad :)

Okay kid, I'm trying in the nicest way possible to stop being a dick. What you did up there was like going up to a person in the library, asking them a question, and having them tell you there's a book in here that has a lot of information and different view points on the subject. Then you asked them to go get it for you. FYI, not a good way to make friends.

Okay kid, I'm trying in the nicest way possible to stop being a dick. What you did up there was like going up to a person in the library, asking them a question, and having them tell you there's a book in here that has a lot of information and different view points on the subject. Then you asked them to go get it for you. FYI, not a good way to make friends.
Yeah, me too. I said thanks and everything, but apparently his name isn't Jeeve. And why would he/she comment if they don't want to help. Isn't this site all about helping others out? Don't get me wrong, I respect all of you Pre-med/Med students, and I have nothing against you because I know one day you all will be successful doc, but asking for a link is apparently to demanding. Why would he bring up that there is another thread similar to this one but won't bother to actually bring it up and show me it?

Anyways, I don't wish to argue any further, and if any one cares to help me and find an thread similar to this one because I clearly couldn't find it I would really appreciate it:)

Yeah, me too. I said thanks and everything, but apparently his name isn't Jeeve. And why would he/she comment if they don't want to help. Isn't this site all about helping others out? Don't get me wrong, I respect all of you Pre-med/Med students, and I have nothing against you because I know one day you all will be successful doc, but asking for a link is apparently to demanding. Why would he bring up that there is another thread similar to this one but won't bother to actually bring it up and show me it?

Because we don't want 500 new threads everyday about things that have already been discussed to death. You'll have a lot of questions as you get into college/medschool that everyone has had. If everyone had a thread about how hard Orgo is, that takes a lot of time out of people's day to answer everyone. If you search these topics instead of making new threads, it allows people with new questions to get helped.

Because we don't want 500 new threads everyday about things that have already been discussed to death. You'll have a lot of questions as you get into college/medschool that everyone has had. If everyone had a thread about how hard Orgo is, that takes a lot of time out of people's day to answer everyone. If you search these topics instead of making new threads, it allows people with new questions to get helped.
Makes sense, I am sorry, and thank you:)

Superman you really are no hero.

Don't comment if you are not going to help.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-231043.html

IDK, I would appreciate INS's advice. Making threads like this annoys most senior members, and both INS and ppfizemn gave some sound advice, albeit in a snarky way. (Although, who can blame them when you see virtually identical threads three times a day).
Okay, I understand that I made a mistake and I will try to prevent it later on. Does that make you "Senior Members" happy? :)

Okay, I understand that I made a mistake and I will try to prevent it later on. Does that make you "Senior Members" happy? :)

Hey, I don't care that you made this thread, trust me, when I started, I made plenty of threads like this one. It was when you got mad at ppfizenm for not posting any links for you. Oh well though, it happened, and hopefully it won't happen again. Welcome to the forum by the way. ;)

Hey, I don't care that you made this thread, trust me, when I started, I made plenty of threads like this one. It was when you got mad at ppfizenm for not posting any links for you. Oh well though, it happened, and hopefully it won't happen again. Welcome to the forum by the way. ;)
I completely understand I did bad. Never again though, learned from my mistake. BTW thanks for the introduction LOL ;)

I completely understand I did bad. Never again though, learned from my mistake. BTW thanks for the introduction LOL ;)

I made the mistake of posting a DO vs. MD thread in Pre-Allo when I first joined the site, which was about a month ago. The thread stayed active for nearly a week, but I honestly can't count the number of posts with an emoticon beating a dead horse or a smiley beating his head against a brick wall. It is a rookie mistake.

On this forum, you kinda learn as you go. Always make sure you use the search function before posting anything. If you don't, someone will call you out on it.

As for your original question, I don't believe SAT scores predict college success. I didn't do that well on the SAT even though I graduated with a 4.0. My SAT scores would have predicted an average-below average student. That is not the case.

Some people have tried to show direct correlation between SAT/ACT and MCAT, but I don't see it. I agree with a lot of people on here on the issue when they say the only thing they have in common are the letters A, C, and T. :laugh: There are numerous threads on this topic that you can search out if you would like.

I made the mistake of posting a DO vs. MD thread in Pre-Allo when I first joined the site, which was about a month ago. The thread stayed active for nearly a week, but I honestly can't count the number of posts with an emoticon beating a dead horse or a smiley beating his head against a brick wall. It is a rookie mistake.

On this forum, you kinda learn as you go. Always make sure you use the search function before posting anything. If you don't, someone will call you out on it.

As for your original question, I don't believe SAT scores predict college success. I didn't do that well on the SAT even though I graduated with a 4.0. My SAT scores would have predicted an average-below average student. That is not the case.

Some people have tried to show direct correlation between SAT/ACT and MCAT, but I don't see it. I agree with a lot of people on here on the issue when they say the only thing they have in common are the letters A, C, and T. :laugh: There are numerous threads on this topic that you can search out if you would like.
Thank you!!!!!:)

you'll be fine...Indian premed high school students are a little crazy, but you'll get through it if you work hard, don't give up, and keep pushing for your goals...ACT/SAT does not predict anything....I asked about it and MCAT is MUCH HARDER but it's all do-able, just breathe...

you'll be fine...Indian premed high school students are a little crazy, but you'll get through it if you work hard, don't give up, and keep pushing for your goals...ACT/SAT does not predict anything....I asked about it and MCAT is MUCH HARDER but it's all do-able, just breathe...
Thank you:)

I will be a helpful beaver and answer your question.

I am a college Junior (working towards a Biochemistry degree) with around a 3.7 gpa thank God, and I made a 1710 on my SAT. I heard 1500 is the average, correct me if I'm wrong. Your college does not matter!!! I repeat, the college you go to does not matter!! Yes it might help you if you are in an Ivy Leauge (unless you do really poorly in that Ivy Leauge), but it will not ever hold you back from getting into a very competitive medical school.

Personally though, I do not think that the SAT has any correlation with the MCAT. I couldve totally bombed my SAT, then straightened up my act and tried really hard in college and scored 30+. It is all what you make of yourself. No one is ever born stupid. Sorry if this is going beyond your question.

I will be a helpful beaver and answer your question.

I am a college Junior (working towards a Biochemistry degree) with around a 3.7 gpa thank God, and I made a 1710 on my SAT. I heard 1500 is the average, correct me if I'm wrong. Your college does not matter!!! I repeat, the college you go to does not matter!! Yes it might help you if you are in an Ivy Leauge (unless you do really poorly in that Ivy Leauge), but it will not ever hold you back from getting into a very competitive medical school.

Personally though, I do not think that the SAT has any correlation with the MCAT. I couldve totally bombed my SAT, then straightened up my act and tried really hard in college and scored 30+. It is all what you make of yourself. No one is ever born stupid. Sorry if this is going beyond your question.
Thanks. I am scoring just about that but I am a sophomore still. Hopefully my score will be near the 2000 mark at the end of my junior year. Ty

It really doesn't matter that much. The SAT measures your performance on one day, which can be a good day or a bad day. As for me, mine was in the 1300s (1990's scoring), and I ended up with acceptances to 5 MD/PhD programs. Just do your best in college, study what you enjoy, and rock the MCAT.

1430/1600 SAT
30 MCAT

Medical school has been very difficult for me, while many of my classmates with lesser incoming stats are destroying it. You basically won't know what type of med student you'll be until you are one. In the meantime do the best you can.