How many times is too many??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Do schools look at applicants who have applied more than 2 or 3 times...assuming a significantly improved application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to medical school three times and was accepted by 4 schools on the third try.

So yes, schools don't care if you have made significant improvements in your applications. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school. I've known a person who applied 5 times, and got into a program on the fifth try. Other schools actually discourage applying a 3rd time (or more). UCLA for example states that on their website.

Also depends on what you mean by significantly improved. Better GPA/MCAT? Better letters of rec? More ECs? Better personal statement? Better LORs? Better interview? Its all relative. Something may be significant to you but it may not be significant when compared to the application pool. Ultimately you are competing against them, rather than yourself.

Some schools require you to obtain permission to apply >3 times. Generally you have to demonstrate 'significant improvement' in your application to get this approval.

To the OP: if there are specific schools you're interested in, you've got nothing to lose by contacting the admissions offices to see what their formal policy is on multi-reapplicants, and to get an off the record feel for their openness to your application.

I'm a 3rd time applicant that was successful this round.

When you get to the later rounds, you want to re-examine the schools you applied to in the past, see if you can figure out why you were rejected and see if it will be worth re-applying. Cut schools, liberally.

After that, expand your selection with fresh blood. Flip through the MSAR and really see if there's a school that you have a chance at where you could be happy.

Look at state schools. There are a fair number of state schools (esp in NY, OH and NJ) that not only are friendly to out of state students, they will let you get in-state tuition.

Also, if you haven't considered DO schools, there are many great ones that you can/should consider in the later rounds of application.

Look at state schools. There are a fair number of state schools (esp in NY, OH and NJ) that not only are friendly to out of state students, they will let you get in-state tuition.

Also, if you haven't considered DO schools, there are many great ones that you can/should consider in the later rounds of application.

wait.. some state school actually offer in-state tuition to out of state students ?

wait.. some state school actually offer in-state tuition to out of state students ?

I think it depends on where you are from. I am originally from DE, and I know that if you pursue a degree that is not offered at any college in DE, the state of DE will pay for tuition at another school in any state that has the degree that you wish to study so that you will only pay instate tuition rates. It may depend on if your state has a medical college or not.

Usually not the first year. I think maybe you can do it right away for New Jersey.