How many times to take GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DPT2019newb

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have taken the GRE twice with no real improvement, but I was thinking about taking it a third time so that I can boost my verbal score (My current scores are 152V, 160Q, 5.0W). I heard that some schools don't like to see you take the test that many times, so if I took it a third time, would it hurt me? Thanks!
 
Did you study for your second test? I think if you did and saw no real change, it's not worth the time/money/stress to do it again. Your writing score is good, and your combined score is over 300.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Schools don't really care how many times you take it as long as you make obvious improvements. In your case, I wouldn't bother retaking it. Your scores are really good and as long as you meet the GRE requirements for the schools you are interested in, it is probably in your best interest to focus on your GPA or getting more observation hours/ shadowing hours to enhance your application instead of continuing to focus all your efforts on the GRE.