How Many tries did it take you??? (MAX)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys I was wonderiiiiiiiiin for those who are average and not like 3.8 with DAT of 22/21 's but are more like GPA 3.0 with DAT 18/19 ish how many times did it take for you guys to get in if denied the first time, I just was wondering cause my DAT are 18/17 and my GPA is 3.1 and 2.6(sci) so hey I know there is a good possibility I wont get in so I am going to take more science classes at a community college to boost up my GPA along with more general classes to boost up that GPA but still I wanted to apply in June so just wondering if anyone has heard stories like "I didnt get in my first 7 years but hey the 8th year I did". (I hope the maximum is 2 application cycles then your in) ANYONE????? KNOW?????

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ashman,

This is my second try and I just got in!! :D . Last year my sciGPA was slightly less than a three and I did not get in, that along with the fact that I applied really late (October). This year, however, my sciGPA was higher around 3.2 and my overall is 3.3. I did average on the DAT 18/19/22. Although I don't learn from my mistakes and applied late again this year, I have made it into one school so far (3 interviews - one to go)...and have yet to hear from the others. Anyway, my main message to you is to get that sciGPA over a 3.0. Once you're in the 3's you're pretty safe. Also, apply to private schools like NYU and BU for sure! APPLY EARLY!

Good luck! :luck:

TOdentist said:
Hey Ashman,

This is my second try and I just got in!! :D . Last year my sciGPA was slightly less than a three and I did not get in, that along with the fact that I applied really late (October). This year, however, my sciGPA was higher around 3.2 and my overall is 3.3. I did average on the DAT 18/19/22. Although I don't learn from my mistakes and applied late again this year, I have made it into one school so far (3 interviews - one to go)...and have yet to hear from the others. Anyway, my main message to you is to get that sciGPA over a 3.0. Once you're in the 3's you're pretty safe. Also, apply to private schools like NYU and BU for sure! APPLY EARLY!

Good luck! :luck:
Just for the record, a 22 PAT is WAY above average. Nice job.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about taking the DATs again? I know a great DAT score can make up for your gpa if everything else on your app is great and your interview goes well.
it worked for me and i have below 3.0 but 23/20/19 and I rocked my interview for the school of choice.

taking DATs again shows your determination and potential, both of which they look highly upon.

I have stats very similar to yours and was denied by 11 schools last year. I went to graduate school, took science courses that would benefit me in both experience and pull of my science GPA and I did everything I could to convey to d-schools my level of committment. Result: I learned a ton, felt better prepared for the process, applied earlier, and was accepted to two schools. Keep your chin up and your hopes alive. It will happen if you work for it! Good luck!!!

B10

billiken10 said:
I have stats very similar to yours and was denied by 11 schools last year. I went to graduate school, took science courses that would benefit me in both experience and pull of my science GPA and I did everything I could to convey to d-schools my level of committment. Result: I learned a ton, felt better prepared for the process, applied earlier, and was accepted to two schools. Keep your chin up and your hopes alive. It will happen if you work for it! Good luck!!!

B10

Hey man good job !

How did you score on your final DAT!

Bout time we got some inspirational stories in these forums rather than,,,
my gpa is 3.8 and I got a DAT 25 blah blah blah,,,,,my mommy will kick me out of the house if I dont get in and my girlfriend will leave me and blah blah..... I am so scared,,,

most of the dorks in these forums are so anal!!!

Looks like a person just needs to apply early and hope !

ashman said:
Hey you guys I was wonderiiiiiiiiin for those who are average and not like 3.8 with DAT of 22/21 's but are more like GPA 3.0 with DAT 18/19 ish how many times did it take for you guys to get in if denied the first time, I just was wondering cause my DAT are 18/17 and my GPA is 3.1 and 2.6(sci) so hey I know there is a good possibility I wont get in so I am going to take more science classes at a community college to boost up my GPA along with more general classes to boost up that GPA but still I wanted to apply in June so just wondering if anyone has heard stories like "I didnt get in my first 7 years but hey the 8th year I did". (I hope the maximum is 2 application cycles then your in) ANYONE????? KNOW?????

although your overall gpa is okay, your science gpa is a little low. you might wanna take some science classes this spring and try to boost that higher. because i know a lot of schools look at the science gpa as being more important than the overall gpa. Good luck

aphistis said:
Just for the record, a 22 PAT is WAY above average. Nice job.

Thanks! :D I felt like my stats were so subpar compared to the ppl on here.

Unless you have some amazing ec's you will have no chance with a 2.6 sci. You need to show a serious upward grade trend. You may have difficulty pulling your GPA up with community college sci classes b/c most cc dont offer upper division classes. I would look at trying to get A's and B's (mostly A's) in at least 20 more units of upper division science classes. I had a problems with my sci GPA due to 3 D's and a C. I put off applying and took 17 units of upper division science classes. I pulled my sci GPA up to a 3.2. I applied early and was accepted to 3 schools.

Yeah, 2.6 science is really low. Take a year of upper-level sciences, preferably at a 4-year school