How Many Tries Til You Got In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, that makes sense. That's about where I was at, too. Reflecting on my classmates, I can't say I know how many attempts it took for TOO many of them, and I suppose there's some weighting toward fewer attempts (if you took 7 attempts, you might be more reluctant to talk about it than someone who took 1), but it seems to me a big majority (of the ones I do know) got in after 1-2 attempts. So it just struck me as unlikely that '3' is right.

One nice thing, though: once you're in, nobody cares how many attempts it took you. Like... nobody. So that's cool.

A friend of mine got into med school on the third try. I would try twice. At my age, three times would be a pretty big stretch.

I asked the question to put some wind in my own sails, more or less. I needed to hear that at least ONE other person had made more than one attempt, just in case I do, too.

Thanks very much, everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

A friend of mine got into med school on the third try. I would try twice. At my age, three times would be a pretty big stretch.

I asked the question to put some wind in my own sails, more or less. I needed to hear that at least ONE other person had made more than one attempt, just in case I do, too.

Thanks very much, everybody.

Huh? I get it, that's fine. I'm not saying it was a bad question or something.... it just made me curious to find out what a real, verified number was. I sorta get the impression from your responses to me that you're defensive that I asked you about the validity of that number; I only asked because *I'm* curious, not because there's anything wrong with your post/question/comment/whatever.

LOTS and LOTS of people make more than one attempt! If you need to, don't sweat it at all! It's just a good chance to ask the school(s) what needs improvement and spend 6-8 months improving it. And I think there's some percentage of people who don't get in the first time because they don't take the application terribly seriously; since you're not in that group, you're already increasing your chances. (I told myself I would quit after 2 if it came to that, too; for the same reason as you.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, LetItSnow,

No, not defensive at all. Impatient, maybe. :p

Thanks for your reply!

2 times... but the first time i only applied to one school. i still didn't get accepted to that school the second time around when i applied to 10 schools and was accepted to 4.

I think the lesson I learned from my experience is if you don't get in the first time... apply to different schools... its surprising how different schools look for different qualities in individuals.

Haven't applied yet, but I'm preparing for at least twice. I also am going to finish my bachelors completely first, so that I can really throw myself into any other app improvements after the first cycle, if need be, and already have a degree. I don't want to be floating in limbo with nothing to show for my work. Also! I know of a guy who tried 10 times. He's a good vet, too. Really good.
In reality, I will likely keep trying until I'm bankrupt or dead, even though that is not reasonable. My hope is to be done with school and residency by 31 (10 years from now) and I think that that gives me a good little bit of leeway.

I'm sure it won't be a breeze, but if I hadn't made it in the first time around, I'd sure as heck apply again and again until I did!

Last edited:
It's an encouraging thought, but there are people who try for ten years and never get in. Perhaps they should try for the rest of their lives?

I suppose when you're dead, you do stop trying...

:/

In my opinion it is very true, however, I don't read it to mean continually just submitting more applications. I define trying as continually improving yourself and your application. Those who truly do try and continue to do so will find a way in.

I'm on my 3rd try, working on classes that count towards a masters to boost my GPA along with a freshman undergrad level stats class to boost my physical sciences undergrad GPA. Also got a lot of experience with large and small animals since I got my degree last May. Fingers crossed I never have to send another GRE score.Good luck!