How Many Tries Til You Got In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mangojuice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious. I keep seeing that it takes an average of three tries to get in...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be my second application cycle

1.5? i applied to caribbean schools late winter of the app year knowing my stateside odds weren't fantastic but i'd kind of already had my heart set on coming here a long time before applying too. it would have been a real struggle for me to choose had i also been accepted in the US, i'm so glad i wasn't!

1.5? i applied to caribbean schools late winter of the app year knowing my stateside odds weren't fantastic but i'd kind of already had my heart set on coming here a long time before applying too. it would have been a real struggle for me to choose had i also been accepted in the US, i'm so glad i wasn't!

Actually, I was kinda in the same boat as jmo...so, I guess that'd be a 1.5 as well? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Of the 16 vet students/vets I know the admission attempts of in my peer group, 1 (3 tries), 5 (2 tries), 10 (1 try).

I'm on my second attempt.

One, but I was fully prepared to apply another cycle if necessary, knowing the odds.

I'm just curious. I keep seeing that it takes an average of three tries to get in...
In my opinion, the numerical "average" isn't a meaningful number. From the statistics I've seen, the number of application attempts is a highly skewed bell curve. It's skewed right, so that means that the numerical average is being pulled towards "3" because of a few folks with >3 attempts. So, while the average is 3, the majority of people probably applied 1 or 2 times before they were successful.

Mean, medians, and modes.. Mmmm, yum. Statistics....

Thanks for the replies!

Wow, that's determination...very cool...

Ok, so as long as I know I'll have one foot in the grave if/when this goes down..:laugh:

But whatevs. I'll be the coolest 60 yr old I know.:D

In my opinion, the numerical "average" isn't a meaningful number. From the statistics I've seen, the number of application attempts is a highly skewed bell curve. It's skewed right, so that means that the numerical average is being pulled towards "3" because of a few folks with >3 attempts. So, while the average is 3, the majority of people probably applied 1 or 2 times before they were successful.

Mean, medians, and modes.. Mmmm, yum. Statistics....

Statistics...:xf::xf:

I know a Dr who applied 7 times before he got in, now he is a board certified surgeon and incredible at what he does.

4 times to stateside schools, and once to Ross in between 3 and 4 application cycles.

Just out of curiosity ... are you confusing that with the number of schools to which an average applicant applies in any given cycle? (Because I thought I asked VMCAS that once and the answer was 3.)

Definitely possible the answer is '3' to both questions. :)

The only person who doesn't get into vet school are the ones who stop trying.

Just out of curiosity ... are you confusing that with the number of schools to which an average applicant applies in any given cycle? (Because I thought I asked VMCAS that once and the answer was 3.)

Definitely possible the answer is '3' to both questions. :)

Nope. I'm not.

Two for me, but I remember hearing to be mentally/emotionally prepared for 3

Mostly because I don't really believe it and wondered if it was just something you "heard" or something that came from a reliable source with the data to actually know.

I'm guessing I've heard it mostly from "around." Here, etc.

Right now, y'all are my "reliable source." ;)

This thread has been most interesting and helpful.

I'm guessing I've heard it mostly from "around." Here, etc.

Right now, y'all are my "reliable source." ;)

This thread has been most interesting and helpful.

VMCAS posts here infrequently-but-regularly and sometimes has given some data.... They might give us an authoritative answer. Dunno if they track this particular stat.

VMCAS posts here infrequently-but-regularly and sometimes has given some data.... They might give us an authoritative answer. Dunno if they track this particular stat.

That's fine by me, either way.

I'm asking the folks here for THEIR experience. :)

I know that I've heard "3 attempts" before as well, though in my experience with meeting people and watching some of the threads here, I'd think that it lies closer to 2 attempts. I just can't imagine there are really that many people who are still truckin' after 3 attempts to pull up the average that much, considering how large the "1 attempt" group likely is.

I imagine it could be one of those stats that gets misinterpreted and repeated. Like how a statement such as "X% of entering students are admitted by their 3rd attempt" gets transformed into something about average attempts.

I know that I've heard "3 attempts" before as well, though in my experience with meeting people and watching some of the threads here, I'd think that it lies closer to 2 attempts. I just can't imagine there are really that many people who are still truckin' after 3 attempts to pull up the average that much, considering how large the "1 attempt" group likely is.

I imagine it could be one of those stats that gets misinterpreted and repeated. Like how a statement such as "X% of entering students are admitted by their 3rd attempt" gets transformed into something about average attempts.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's about where I was at, too. Reflecting on my classmates, I can't say I know how many attempts it took for TOO many of them, and I suppose there's some weighting toward fewer attempts (if you took 7 attempts, you might be more reluctant to talk about it than someone who took 1), but it seems to me a big majority (of the ones I do know) got in after 1-2 attempts. So it just struck me as unlikely that '3' is right.

One nice thing, though: once you're in, nobody cares how many attempts it took you. Like... nobody. So that's cool.

The only person who doesn't get into vet school are the ones who stop trying.

It's an encouraging thought, but there are people who try for ten years and never get in. Perhaps they should try for the rest of their lives?

I suppose when you're dead, you do stop trying...

:/

1. Though I applied twice.

One nice thing, though: once you're in, nobody cares how many attempts it took you. Like... nobody. So that's cool.

:thumbup:

I know I'm personally very excited about no one caring what my undergrad grades were. :D Clean slate!

I know I'm personally very excited about no one caring what my undergrad grades were. :D Clean slate!

I feel that most people stop caring, though I suspect there are always a few insecure types who won't let things like that drop.

I remember reading a blog written by a vet (supposedly) where she kind of smugly suggested that people who repeat some of their prerequisite courses are worse doctors than those that don't (and that they only got into vet school due to falling standards). You know, because after four years of veterinary school, passing all of your exams, and becoming licensed, how you did in an introductory science course when you were 19 is a much better indicator of your abilities.

I feel that most people stop caring, though I suspect there are always a few insecure types who won't let things like that drop.

I remember reading a blog written by a vet (supposedly) where she kind of smugly suggested that people who repeat some of their prerequisite courses are worse doctors than those that don't (and that they only got into vet school due to falling standards). You know, because after four years of veterinary school, passing all of your exams, and becoming licensed, how you did in an introductory science course when you were 19 is a much better indicator of your abilities.

I'm sure there are some that feel that way.

Officially though, the vet school no longer cares, internships and residencies won't care (at least for what I want to do), and while I have to bust my butt for my GPA still, at least the mistakes I made when I was in my first year won't be haunting any applications in the future. :)