How many update letters is TOO many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTed

Pre-medical
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent out my first update letter in September after I completed a 3 month internship with the NIH and had secured a job with UNC doing orthopedic research.

The job at UNC provided less hours than I was expecting, so I got a second job as a social worker, working with children with behavioral/mental disabilities and sent out an update letter to my schools in January.

The job at UNC is about to be completed and I have secured another job as an Operating Room assistant for a major hospital and will continue with my social work job for about 12 hours a week. If I sent out another update letter in March, would that be too frequent? The last thing I want to do is look unstable, but I didn't anticipate that my UNC job would rap up before the admissions season was over.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this pre-interview? I don't know if I'd send a third letter. If the first two didn't help, the third probably won't either. But I guess it can't hurt; they've all been 3 months apart. At the very least, it'll make someone else open your file, if just to put the letter there.

What's the worst that could happen? They throw it in the trash...

What's the best that can happen? They take another look at your file and see that you have kept them up to date when updates were significant and showed them real interest throughout the application cycle. They tell themselves "hey, if he is so interested and dedicated to going to this school, maybe we should give him an interview/acceptance".

I say, go for it. No one is going to throw out an application because of 3 update letters. Besides, the job market is tough right now and it shows that you have qualities that employers are looking for.

P.S.: Good job on securing various employments, when we are loosing about 600k jobs a month right now.

Last edited: