How many weeks/days of vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

good_faith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many weeks/days of vacation do you get when you are in residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually 3 or 4, but you can't take more than 1 or 2 at a time. Depends on program.

Originally posted by dwstranger
Usually 3 or 4, but you can't take more than 1 or 2 at a time. Depends on program.
dwstranger,
3 or 4 days or weeks?

Thanks

Originally posted by good_faith
dwstranger,
3 or 4 days or weeks?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure thats hours. :laugh:

no - 3-4 weeks is the norm it seems

Where I am going, it is 2 weeks intern year then 3 weeks all other years.

3 to four weeks a year is hella better than most working stiffs out there who slave away for 10 days a year...

You get about 2 wks vacation in other jobs.
It is pretty good to get 3-4 wks off.

When you figure that you're working twice as much as the full-time equivalent for most jobs (40 hrs/week), it's only fair that you get twice as many weeks of vacation.

Where I was at last year, we got one calendar month in the year (so February got screwed!).

THIS year, I get 4 weeks (in 2 2-week blocks), PLUS a week at Christmas (since I was off-service on a medicine or surgery service, who give all people 1 of their weeks at the holidays), PLUS the week I just had off between the end of one block and the start of my ED time...PLUS the week at the end of the month.

Gotta love scheduling yourself in EM.

I've had tons of time off this year, thanks mainly to the EM months and Christmas. Only two official vacation weeks this year but I've already had five with one more vacation week in May.

4 weeks, taken in 1-2 week blocks. Interns can only take 1 week blocks. Plus 3 days either Christmas or New Years.

Problem: we are only allowed to take vacation on specific rotations, usually the ones with the best operative experience.

Also, many places will allow you to take the weekend before and after your vacation. My program doesn't , and to ensure that you can't, puts you on call the day before and the day you return from vacation. Plus the month you have vacation you are on call every weekend.

I think I'd rather have 3 weeks and be allowed to have the flanking weekends. When you only have exactly 7 days, if you want to travel you have to use 2 days to travel, thus you really only get 5 days of vacation. Better than nothing, though.

Interesting question. I'm watching the Boiler Room as I type & eat dinner. Ben Affleck just finished saying, "You are required to work your f***** ass off at this firm. We want winners here, not pikers. A piker walks at the bell. A piker asks how much vacation time you get in the first year. Vacation time? People come to work at this firm for one reason, to become filthy rich, that's it. We're not here to make friends, we're not saving the f***** manatees here guys. You want vacation time, go teach third grade at a public school."

We get 2 2week blocks. Plus I have had tons of 'long weekend' stretches. I just took 5 days off and went to Miami for a 'confrence'.

We get 2 wks paid and 1 unpaid intern year (all interns in Philly are off the last week of June), and then 3 wks paid as upper years. We also have a 3 wk "research" block each year... :D