How many years away are we from some type of reform?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OBfan

Hi,
I'm a 3rd year who is really interested in OBGYN. I have read a ton on how high premiums and lawsuits have really made OBGYN a less desirable career. I am set on going forward with my dream regardless.

I am about 5 and a half years away from actually finishing residency. Could anyone speculate on how long they think it will take for some caps and reform to take place in the "crisis" states.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it really depends on a state by state basis.

I was at a conference about high risk obstetrics and one of the presenters said that the state (Virginia perhaps?) has a fun that it pays out of for all birth injury suits -- there is a set amount that everyone gets, which comes from the fund that all hospitals pay into. It sounds as if that has cut down quite significantly on the number of frivolous cases due to the fact that there is a set amount awarded, which keeps people from seeking millions. I'm sure there are exceptions to this, and I'm not sure of all of the specifics, but it sounds like a fantastic thing to me...

Does anyone have more information on this?

So did I read that right? If you participate and the case is a qualifying injury, they can't get $$ from a malpractice suit, only this program? Anybody heard how it's working so far? Its definately a different approach!

Last I heard, here in TX - liability premiums are dropping since the passage of Tort limits - 10-15%/year for the last 2-3 years. It's supposedly changed the negative flow of ob/gyns out of state for practice to positive.