Farm Di

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status
Hi, Im a first year pharmacy student.
One person told me that prison pharmacy pays $90/hour, is that correct?

If this is true then I would like to find a position there when I get out of school.

Also, is it easy to get overtime, I mean, if I want to work every day of the year in prison for JUST ONE YEAR, then I would be making over $300,000 for that one year, but this all sounds too good to be true.

if someone really know about this, please let me know. I really like pharmacy and am not doing it for the money, but for one year, I wouldnt mind working my butt off and making over 300k

Also, is it hard to find an intern position in a prison?
thanks

Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Pharmacist

If this is true then I would like to find a position there when I get out of school.

Also, is it easy to get overtime, I mean, if I want to work every day of the year in prison for JUST ONE YEAR, then I would be making over $300,000 for that one year, but this all sounds too good to be true.

if someone really know about this, please let me know. I really like pharmacy and am not doing it for the money, but for one year, I wouldnt mind working my butt off and making over 300k

thanks

No. As a rule of thumb, anyone telling you that a pharmacist gets paid more than 160k for 40 hours of work is exaggerating and probably heard it from an unreliable source. With that said, you will also get burned out working every day. Most pharmacy jobs are both mentally and physically exhausting. You also might set yourself up for a lawsuit.

Attorney: blah blah medication error.
You: Medication errors happen and there was no criminal intent.
Attorney: How many hours did you work that week and for the past few weeks.
You: 90 hours plus a week.
Attorney: Case closed.

About the Ads

Farm Di

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status
What do you mean specialty bonus?
do I have to do a residency for that?

I do agree with you about the lawsuit thing? I would get burned out, but maybe I could work 70+ hours instead of 90 because that's crazy

I guess when the time comes, I will be much more realistic, but Im just curious, do prison pharmacists get paid $90 an hour?

Is that true? if it is, then is there any other place that pays more than that?

I am not interested in the military or any type of commitment like 4 years, just a normal job...

thanks

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
What do you mean specialty bonus?
do I have to do a residency for that?

I do agree with you about the lawsuit thing? I would get burned out, but maybe I could work 70+ hours instead of 90 because that's crazy

I guess when the time comes, I will be much more realistic, but Im just curious, do prison pharmacists get paid $90 an hour?

Is that true? if it is, then is there any other place that pays more than that?

I am not interested in the military or any type of commitment like 4 years, just a normal job...

thanks
specialty bonuses are something that federal pharmacists get. Its new as of 2009. All federal pharmacists get 15,000 a year as long as you are staying on for 2 years.

federal pharmacy is also a salary job. forget about overtime and hours worked.

no regular pharmacist makes 90 bucks an hour. (yeah, prision pharm = regular pharm) you have to be someone like itsoverzyvox in a cushy management/executive position to even come close to that.

and federal pharmacists work for the public health service (which puts pharmacists to work in prisons) require at least a 3 year service contract. The only federal pharmacy job that doesnt require a service contract is the VA.

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status

thanks
Ok, here is the deal. CA prison system does pay $90 per hour for contract per diem pharmacists. This is not a full time position. Even if you did work full time, your salary would be $187,200.

No job will let you work every day. Becasue after 40 hours per week or 80 hours per 2 weeks, or 8 hours per day (depending on the state) your employer has to pay you overtime.. this of course depends on your exemption status also. You could work 2 full time jobs and still won't make $300K per year as an employee pharmacist.

SpirivaSunrise

Go Gators!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Off the coast of somewhere beautiful
Status
Pharmacist
no regular pharmacist makes 90 bucks an hour. (yeah, prision pharm = regular pharm) you have to be someone like itsoverzyvox in a cushy management/executive position to even come close to that.
I beg to differ. Our contractor makes $100/hour, including travel, food, hotel.

That is if you consider nuclear pharmacist a "regular" pharmacist. :oops:

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
I beg to differ. Our contractor makes $100/hour, including travel, food, hotel.

That is if you consider nuclear pharmacist a "regular" pharmacist. :oops:
If you have to use a contractor, then you're not running an efficient operation! :smuggrin:

ItsOverZyvox

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2008
Status
I have you know... my chair is no longer cushy... perhaps I should get off my arse and go get me a new chair. :smuggrin:

About the Ads

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
sigh.. I haven't played much at all. But I am going to sneak out today at lunch to go hit some.. It's cold here geez.. like 32 this morning.
yeah, it was like 30 here this morning...freezing! I thought I was in Texas....

SpirivaSunrise

Go Gators!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Off the coast of somewhere beautiful
Status
Pharmacist
so in other words, your point was pointless!
Not necessarily; they've moved on to the next pharmacy to make just as much or more! So really, this is their FT joe blow position they've been doing for years...

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying that you can make that much if you're willing to make the sacrifices that come with it.

Caverject

15+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2003
Not necessarily; they've moved on to the next pharmacy to make just as much or more! So really, this is their FT joe blow position they've been doing for years...

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying that you can make that much if you're willing to make the sacrifices that come with it.
you're just one of those types that likes to point out all the exceptions!

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
If you want to make money, start a pharmacy relief agency. Only keep good staff that offer quality help. Charge just a little less than the big relief agencies. What do you get? $90 hr for every hour you work and $25 for every hour you arrange for someone else to work. I know a guy who did this and his people are always working and his business is doing very well.

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If you want to make money, start a pharmacy relief agency. Only keep good staff that offer quality help. Charge just a little less than the big relief agencies. What do you get? $90 hr for every hour you work and $25 for every hour you arrange for someone else to work. I know a guy who did this and his people are always working and his business is doing very well.
By relief agency, you mean an agency that gets calls to fill in when a company needs help that day?

About the Ads