How much can I negotiate for retail position? Advice pls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharmDHelpPls

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a retail pharmacist with a very large retailer with 12 years experience. I moved to northern Virginia recently and want to know what are good resources to get an idea of what the pay rate is in this area? I've got an offer in hand, but the pay rate being offered is less than what I make at my currently employer, not to mention they are also not giving me the same amount of vacation. The market here is so bad (just like everywhere else), so I want to counter, but I need to know whats appropriate? It's basically a lateral move, but I'm still unsure how to go about it, afraid I may scare/disrespect anyone! Guidance please!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would say if you took an offer for a persistently open position lasting months then you might have more leverage.
 
Also depends where you are moving from. If you are moving from California, expect a large pay cut.
 
I'm a retail pharmacist with a very large retailer with 12 years experience. I moved to northern Virginia recently and want to know what are good resources to get an idea of what the pay rate is in this area? I've got an offer in hand, but the pay rate being offered is less than what I make at my currently employer, not to mention they are also not giving me the same amount of vacation. The market here is so bad (just like everywhere else), so I want to counter, but I need to know whats appropriate? It's basically a lateral move, but I'm still unsure how to go about it, afraid I may scare/disrespect anyone! Guidance please!

depends on the DM. Even in desperate need some DM will automatically throw app in garbage if you try to negotiate. Other DM will bump up rates if you have good in-house references and a good interview, even in a full market.

If you are applying without an in house reference I'd be inclined to ask politely or just accept. I hear DMV area is full of rph but not sure
 
Is there anywhere in Southern California with good pay but a low cost of living?
SD/LA metro, no. 1 br 1.5k-2.5k/mo.

Boonies, yes <500-1k+ rent. Blythe, Needles, 29 palms, Yucca Valley, San Bernardino counties, El Centro areas. Surrounding Palm spring desert <$1-1.5k. Expect to drive 2-4 hours to LA or SD.
 
SD/LA metro, no. 1 br 1.5k-2.5k/mo.

Boonies, yes <500-1k+ rent. Blythe, Needles, 29 palms, Yucca Valley, San Bernardino counties, El Centro areas. Surrounding Palm spring desert <$1-1.5k. Expect to drive 2-4 hours to LA or SD.
It seems like wear and tear + gas would equal out those costs (even if you don't consider your time). Lots of opportunity to listen to podcasts and NPR though. 🙂
 
Hi guys! I'm so sorry I fell off the wagon. I ended up catching pneumonia mid august and its taken weeks to recover. I actually ended up taking the position. But as some of you suggested, I did try to negotiate, and they matched my vacation (which i would've been really annoyed with if they hadn't, given that i've worked for 12+ yrs), but didn't go up in their pay. I figured what's more important is that I need a job! and yes, DMV area is horrible for finding jobs!
 
Hi guys! I'm so sorry I fell off the wagon. I ended up catching pneumonia mid august and its taken weeks to recover. I actually ended up taking the position. But as some of you suggested, I did try to negotiate, and they matched my vacation (which i would've been really annoyed with if they hadn't, given that i've worked for 12+ yrs), but didn't go up in their pay. I figured what's more important is that I need a job! and yes, DMV area is horrible for finding jobs!

Nice job on the vacation.
 
Negotiation leverage is best when it's a position they have trouble filling due to bad location. I had a classmate negotiate 4 weeks of vacation with a chain because they could not find a pharmacist willing to go to small town Texas.
 
From what I've seen, chains will negotiate vacation, at least sometimes, they won't negotiate salary, ever. Glad it worked out for you getting vacation time matched, especially in a saturated area.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad