How much debt are you going to have when you graduate undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much debt are you going to have when you graduate undergrad?

Votes: 201 54.9%
  • 1-20k

Votes: 59 16.1%
  • 20k-40k

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • 40k-60k

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • 60k-80k

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 80k-100k

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • 100k-120k

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • >120k

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
For what it's worth, here's an anonymously credible survey:
http://projectonstudentdebt.org/files/File/Debt_Facts_and_Sources.pdf

It says the average (doesn't give a distribution histogram) debt for graduates of...

... public: 20,200
... private non-profit: 27,650
... private for-profit: 33,050

Members don't see this ad.

what's 200K in loans when you don't already have 100K from undergrad?
Man, I am going to be that med student that is freaking out about the additional 200k because I didn't make such a wise decision about undergrad financially...

$0 undergrad debt, which is good because my med school is one of the most expensive and I'm gonna be 320-350k in the hole

:eek:. How did you get so much from Vandy for undergrad and get nothing for med school? Does your school have any need-based aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:. How did you get so much from Vandy for undergrad and get nothing for med school? Does your school have any need-based aid?

vandy reduced my yearly cost of attendance from >50,000 to ~8,000 or something. Which my parents paid, mostly using a fund my grandpa had set up a long time ago.

My med school has some need-based aid, but thanks to my dad's unquestionably middle class salary (teacher), I don't qualify for it. Even though my parents aren't going to be helping me pay for med school, their info still matters to med schools, because med schools are stupid like that.

Med schools hardly give out anything as far as need-based aid goes...why should they? You're perfectly capable of paying them the full cost by taking all the risk upon yourself in the form of government loans...i.e. "betting against your future."

So...yeah. No help from parents, no need-based aid. Outrageously expensive school.

Last edited:
vandy reduced my yearly cost of attendance from >50,000 to ~8,000 or something. Which my parents paid, mostly using a fund my grandpa had set up a long time ago.

My med school has some need-based aid, but thanks to my dad's unquestionably middle class salary (teacher), I don't qualify for it. Even though my parents aren't going to be helping me pay for med school, their info still matters to med schools, because med schools are stupid like that.

Med schools hardly give out anything as far as need-based aid goes...why should they? You're perfectly capable of paying them the full cost by taking all the risk upon yourself in the form of government loans...i.e. "betting against your future."

So...yeah. No help from parents, no need-based aid.

I'm sorry man that sucks. I know that 200k debt is fairly common, but 320k is shocking.

about $15000 only because of that side trip to Spain I took, and one year where I decided I should take out that subsidized loan to pay off my credit card. I was young and naive then. Not too bad, but had I not gone to Europe and kept just my credit card debt, I could've graduated with no debt. But that wouldn't have been any fun at all.

I was $50K-ish coming out of undergrad, but with my Master degree (with no need-based aid) and taking almost all of my pre-med (undergrad) classes at the graduate school per credit rate (UGH)... I'll be starting med school with $160,000 :(