How much did your review course help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKMU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Kaplan over the summer, and scored a 26 on the diagnostic. I scored 29 on August 2002. Three points is not a drastic improvement, but it will have to do.

Who else took a review course? Did you see a marked improvement? I'm wondering what to tell my younger pre-med friends about review courses.

Members don't see this ad.

i scored 26 on the kaplan diagnostic -- after not having the material for 7-9 years.
i scored 27 on the real thing -- probably would have scored around 30 if everything went normally that day.
i think the practice exams helped but other than that it was a bit of a waste of money.

I just realized that I paid around 400 dollars per point raised from the diagnostic. That sucks, but if I could keep paying $400 increments for a one point increase... 43, here I come!

I took Kaplan this past summer as well, scored a 26 on the diagnostic and scored a 32 on the real thing. I'm semi-disappointed because I was hoping to match or surpass my best kaplan-34. Anyway, I can't imagine taking the test without a prep course, I think the timed practice tests are key.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took Kaplan this summer:

Diagnostic: 22

MCAT: 33 11V, 11PS, 11BS S

Kaplan classes were a good review for bio, chem, orgo, and physics. I did not use Kaplan's verbal method. I have to thank Examkracker's Audio Osmosis - it was great. I used Kaplan's subject, topical and full legnth tests and the AAMC full legnths obsessively. I did about 3000 questions over the 7 weeks I studied. I didn't do any practice essays - go figure! I just reviewed some of the AAMC prompts and thought about what I would write.

I took pr for the april test. Compared to the diagnostic, my score went up 4 points in verbal, 7 in physical, and 3 in bio. I attribute it more to studying my @ss off everyday than to the pr company itself.

kaplan diag: 32
real thing: 32
but i think i would have done better if the day hadn't sucked, besides the whole mcat thing

Maybe this has already been a topic of discussion, but I am reading alot of Kaplan - score: > 32 etc. Do people have a preference between Princeton/Kaplan/EKrackers etc? or is it more of a crap shoot and what kind of major/background/study habits, etc.?

I took Princeton and thought they were good enough, but I am hearing alot of high scorers with Kaplan.

Any thoughts?

I took a Kaplan course this summer thanks to my incredibly amazing fiancee. I scored a 21(9,5,O,7) on the diagnostic and was sure that I was doomed but ended up with a 30 on the real thing(10,9,O,11). As you can see, Physical and Bio went up 4 pts which is well worth it to me. I really needed the review although I am not sure the actually classes helped too much....it was the timed exams that made me feel more prepared. I think it was worth it.:)

I took Princeton and someone in my class took both Princeton and kaplan at the same time and said difference was princeton went much more in depth. you also take diagnostics over the whole course through princeton and kaplan has you do it the last 5 saturdays before the test.

I was very happy with princeton. I started with BS of 4 since I have been away from bio for a LONG time and ended up with an 11. overall my score went up 14 points from start to test date.

I second the EK Audio Osmosis. It was great. Also, Kaplan helped me a lot. It was right across the street from my apartment. It might have been fate it happened that way.

i took pr, and thought it worthwhile, but only because i know i would have procrastinated too much on my own.

i got a 26 on the first diag, (10v, 8b, 8p), but i hadn't started test prep. i got a 37 on the real thing in august '01 (11v, 13b, 13p).

i think they maybe make the diag extra tough so they can brag about how much people improved, but overall i was REALLY glad i'd taken the course.

i have talked to alot of different people about the whole princeton vs kaplan thing and i decided to take princeton this summer. it was the best thing i could have done- my first diag was a 17 and my aug mcat was a 29. i would recemmend princeton to anyone who wants t improve 10 + points from what they would get cold .