How much do 1st year med school relate to 3rd year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Silly question, but I guess in terms of day-to-day knowledge and shelf exams...how much of having mastered your fully annotated First Aid with Uworld translate to the 3rd year of med school? I realize 3rd years a new ballgame but I was wondering how much the knowledge base helped you for 3rd year (i.e- less time studying for shelf, more confident in getting pimped, etc...)

Members don't see this ad.

It only helps in giving out stupidly rare diagnosis for simple ones. You have this knowledge about them and begin to just shout out diseases that aren't what patients have. And this is where the resident/attending bitch-slap you back to reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Silly question, but I guess in terms of day-to-day knowledge and shelf exams...how much of having mastered your fully annotated First Aid with Uworld translate to the 3rd year of med school? I realize 3rd years a new ballgame but I was wondering how much the knowledge base helped you for 3rd year (i.e- less time studying for shelf, more confident in getting pimped, etc...)

It's foundation. once in a while it finds it's way into a pimp question, but it's lower yield compared to core rotation material.

how much of having mastered your fully annotated First Aid with Uworld translate to the 3rd year of med school?

Very little honestly. I did not realize how little of the first 2 years translates to clinical practice until my 3rd year.

What about for shelf exams?

Virtually zero info is directly related. If I wanted to I could make up some bs farfetched link between a shelf and anatomy or genetics or summin.

It's foundation. once in a while it finds it's way into a pimp question, but it's lower yield compared to core rotation material.

I'm sorry, but what's a "pimp question" and "getting pimped"?

I'm sorry, but what's a "pimp question" and "getting pimped"?

Think of it as a surprise verbal medical trivia question thrown at you by an attending or resident......often designed to show how little you know

Some of the genetics type stuff comes up.. MEN syndromes are one that comes to mind and the pathophys is a basis for understanding a lot of the disease processes... think ICU Starling curves... so I would say if you think it has "zero" relevance than you just haven't had enough experience yet. But yeah... most of it you will never need to know again.

Survivor DO

A good working knowledge of anatomy and physiology and basic biochemistry will serve you well. Not every piddly detail that you memorize for step 1, but the broad concepts and having the background that you can bring back and flesh out in more detail when needed. Second year even more so - pathology and pharmacology you use every day on any rotation. Again not the exact details, you can look those up, and not the slides, but your general knowledge of drug classes and disease processes will make you more confident on the wards. You will still feel dumb a lot though, and that is okay.

A good background cannot be understated. It's what separates you from the mid levels when you start third year. We just had a career smoker with polycythemia vera get a lung lobe removed and the staff didn't even know what PV is and were going nuts because he lost a few units, just a recent example. 1st year is also relevant when you have a bunch of mandatory bs that you'll have learned to deal with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have also heard a convincing argument that the etymology is from German medical education - meaning "pump" for information. Basically it is playing surprise quiz show, sometimes about trivial matters and sometimes to gauge your understanding of a subject so the resident/attending can teach you something new instead of telling you something you already know. For that to work you have to get to a question you can't answer, that's part of the process and not worth feeling bad about. But the better your foundation, the more new stuff you can learn (and you will look interested and like you have a "good fund of knowledge" as a side benefit).

A good background cannot be understated. It's what separates you from the mid levels when you start third year. We just had a career smoker with polycythemia vera get a lung lobe removed and the staff didn't even know what PV is and were going nuts because he lost a few units, just a recent example. 1st year is also relevant when you have a bunch of mandatory bs that you'll have learned to deal with.

did you just say staff didn't know what Polycythemia vera is? which staff?

Lost a few units? That sure as hell doesn't sound like PV. :laugh: Or did you mean he had to have phlebotomy?

And first year was really irrelevant for the most part. The only helpful portion was genetic diseases and micro/immuno.

But I digress - KNOW EVERYTHING!

I think the only material I use from first year is phys and the big points of anatomy. There are a few really important facts from the rest of the subjects, but a good 80% of what you learn is not useful at all.

Wait sorry guys...I meant first two years of med school, not 1st year...so im pretty much talking about the path and pharm you learn

did you just say staff didn't know what Polycythemia vera is? which staff?

DNP yo. His Hb was like 18 preop, so hit two birds with one stone. It was mostly a joke at the time and no one else got it judging by the fact that they asked what PV rubra was and why smoking contributed to it, but prognosis is good.

DNP yo. His Hb was like 18 preop, so hit two birds with one stone. It was mostly a joke at the time and no one else got it judging by the fact that they asked what PV rubra was and why smoking contributed to it, but prognosis is good.

There is a difference between secondary polycythemia from hypoxemic lung disease and polycythemia vera, which is a neoplastic disorder.

But yeah, what an idiot.

the things that matter the most to your learning will be the ones you dont realized you even learned.

sorry I dont just mean 1st year, I mean 1st two years (path, pharm, pdx included)

sorry I dont just mean 1st year, I mean 1st two years (path, pharm, pdx included)

Even with second year included, only some of it is relevant. Obviously you must learn it all for the foundation. But obviously you end up having to know alot more than what is taught in the 1st 2 years (clinical info), and there is extra superfluous info in the first two years you do not use clinically

I feel like it's night/day. The scenarios discussed in books/exams are ridiculously too ideal compared to patients you'll actually see in clinic.

Second year kinda helped...but you just learn. You're just cramming all this info but not really learning how to use it. A lot of this comes from working in the clinic, not studying the material in a library.