research externships for summer after 1st year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happy_days_lol

Reaction score
does anyone have any advice on research externship applications? especially pertaining to how to write a strong personal statement for these programs?

so far i've really been trying to emphasize what my current research background is, what my current research interests are and how those align with what the specific program offers, and what i hope to gain from the program

i am most concerned about making sure i don't sound cliche in terms of what my research goals are. i imagine every student is going to indicate that they want to do research in a specific field bc they want to specialize in that field and that they want to get engaged early with the field by going to conferences, publishing, etc

Members don't see this ad.

so far i've really been trying to emphasize what my current research background is, what my current research interests are and how those align with what the specific program offers, and what i hope to gain from the program
Out of the ones I applied to, most responded to a personal story for a personal statement. I think you're on the right track by talking about what you wish to gain (and sometimes your research interests, depending on the program), but tell a little about yourself, too. Your CV should include any research you've already done, so don't rehash that in the personal statement.

Example for the program I attended: the program was involved in mental illness research, as well as didactics on its personal, local, and national impacts. So I crafted my story about how mental illness had affected me and my community, how it changed me as a person, and how that was my main driving force for attending the program.

Not to toot my own horn, but my story was damn good because I was very personally invested in this program, which is why I got in and attended. Whereas I didn't have the same drive for programs I didn't attend, like Hopkin's CUPID program. CUPID is really cool and impactful, but I just didn't have any personal connection to cancer research, and couldn't write an interesting narrative without flat-out lying.

Reactions: 1 user