How much do grades matter after being Accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've already been accepted but still have to complete the 2nd 1/2 of this last semester to get my undergrad degree. Do grades really matter that much at this point? I have 0 motivation to study since none of my classes are really related to medicine (except Biochem), but I'm still trying to do my best. Will they care if I accidentally get a C or something?

gracias

Members don't see this ad.

I believe in most cases you have to just pass your classes with at least a C [of course you would strive to do better]. If they aren't prerequisite courses, then they might not even matter at all. I'd just ask your school what their requirements are as far as grades go.

Will they care if I accidentally get a C or something?

If you have zero motivation and end up with a C...well, there's no "accident" in that. But, no, one C won't hurt you. However, most acceptances are conditional and I've known people who screwed around in their last semester and had their acceptances withdrawn. Why? Because you can't succeed in medical school if you lack motivation-- you can't give up for a minute. Remember that most schools want your final transcript, so they will see how you performed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm completely motivated for medical school, I just feel that I'm wasting my time in my "primate conservation" and "introduction to irish writing" classes for example, classes that I have to take to graduate. I just want to start med school NOW :D

If you have zero motivation and end up with a C...well, there's no "accident" in that. But, no, one C won't hurt you. However, most acceptances are conditional and I've known people who screwed around in their last semester and had their acceptances withdrawn. Why? Because you can't succeed in medical school if you lack motivation-- you can't give up for a minute. Remember that most schools want your final transcript, so they will see how you performed.

When you say that most acceptances are conditional, that implies that some are not. If there was nothing in the acceptance agreement about grades, but only about completion of a degree, does that mean that grades do not matter at all as long as the degree is completed? What if someone got a D in one of their classes? Could the acceptance then be withdrawn?

I'm completely motivated for medical school, I just feel that I'm wasting my time in my "primate conservation" and "introduction to irish writing" classes for example....

While I understand your desire to begin medical school, just think of this first. You might "say" that you are totally motivated for medical school, but your admissions committee is looking for "proof". Actions speak much, much louder than words do. To them, if you are willing to slack off on a few undergrad classes just because you are already accepted, then you may be just as likely to slack off during medical school. Your actions tell them more than your words.

While it's highly unusual for someone's acceptance to be withdrawn, it DOES happen. I've seen it happen.

No matter how much you've heard from people about medical school, you really will never understand how tough it is until you get there. There are times when you will be utterly miserable. Trust me, it's really not what you would call fun most of the time. A week into Gross Anatomy you will see a lot of people who regret their decision to go to med school. It gets even harder after that and a lot of people think about quitting from time to time. They really don't want people who have a history of giving up.

Like I said a C or even two won't hurt you usually. But, it's not a good idea to slack off-- especially if you are a borderline student.

What if someone got a D in one of their classes? Could the acceptance then be withdrawn?

Your acceptance letter is not really a contract, and until you matriculate almost anything can happen. Your letter might not say anything about it but you can bet that if you were convicted of felony assault or something like that, that you could easily have it withdrawn. It's simply a good rule to do the best that you can and avoid anything that might jeopardize your matriculation. Just because it is not specifically stated doesn't necessarily mean that you can't lose your spot.

ok I'm re-motivated, thanks!