How much do pharmacist make in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justinbains132

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how much pharmacist make in British Columbia, Canada... specifcally Vancouver area, in a retail setting like Superstore or Costco.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Does anyone know how much pharmacist make in British Columbia, Canada... specifcally Vancouver area, in a retail setting like Superstore or Costco.

Superstore and Costco are the higher paid pharmacies (compared to Safeway/Shoppers). Superstore and Costco both pay over 42/hr, where as the latter ones I mentioned only pay 38.

Superstore and Costco are the higher paid pharmacies (compared to Safeway/Shoppers). Superstore and Costco both pay over 42/hr, where as the latter ones I mentioned only pay 38.

What year is that figure from? Because as far as I know, the going rate (yes, even at Shoppers, I am working there for the summer) is 42 to 44/hr for pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
You get paid more if you go to a rural area where there's more of a need. Where I am (Ontario), pharmacists get paid less in Toronto than elsewhere, as there's less of a shortage of phmists in the city.

What year is that figure from? Because as far as I know, the going rate (yes, even at Shoppers, I am working there for the summer) is 42 to 44/hr for pharmacists.

The figures I pulled are from this year. I have friends working at each of those pharmacies and they all ask the pharmacists personally their salaries. Don't quote my wages as the wage for All pharmacists across the Province (or even city for that matter). This is JUST the wage of pharmacists in greater Vancouver (Coquitlam/Burnaby/Vancouver/Richmond).

In fact, pharmacists at the start of the year at Shoppers were being paid a measly 36/hr, it was recently that shoppers decided to give its employees a 2$ raise to match up to other competing stores.

The figures I pulled are from this year. I have friends working at each of those pharmacies and they all ask the pharmacists personally their salaries. Don't quote my wages as the wage for All pharmacists across the Province (or even city for that matter). This is JUST the wage of pharmacists in greater Vancouver (Coquitlam/Burnaby/Vancouver/Richmond).

In fact, pharmacists at the start of the year at Shoppers were being paid a measly 36/hr, it was recently that shoppers decided to give its employees a 2$ raise to match up to other competing stores.

Sorry about the confusion buddy, my figures were for Toronto!

Ignore my post if you are looking for Vancouver wages. I remember that Toronto wages were at 38/hr around 3 years ago as well.

Shopper's has such a bad rep with a lot of us students. The 24 hour stores are tough to work in, the till midnight store has no overlap, and they believe the pharmacist to technician ratio should be 1:5 (there is usually only one pharmacist working - no matter the script count). It seems like its all about the profits and shares. Most of us are trying to stay away from shopper's unless there are no more options, or try to work in a NON - midnight or 24 hour store.

Shopper's has such a bad rep with a lot of us students. The 24 hour stores are tough to work in, the till midnight store has no overlap, and they believe the pharmacist to technician ratio should be 1:5 (there is usually only one pharmacist working - no matter the script count). It seems like its all about the profits and shares. Most of us are trying to stay away from shopper's unless there are no more options, or try to work in a NON - midnight or 24 hour store.

Actually I forgot to add, shoppers pays the pharmacists around an extra 5$ during the late night shift (to early morning) I heard this a while ago but I'm not too sure on the exact figure, do you know what it actually is?

Actually I forgot to add, shoppers pays the pharmacists around an extra 5$ during the late night shift (to early morning) I heard this a while ago but I'm not too sure on the exact figure, do you know what it actually is?
That's probably about right; I made $3/hour extra in 1994-95 when I worked midnight-8 am for Shoppers.

I think the rate in Toronto is around $40/hour for retail. It's less for hospital. A friend runs a hospital pharmacy in northern Ontario, and he can't get staff because retail up there pays over $100,000 due to severe chronic shortages of pharmacists up north. For government jobs, they don't pay market rates, but the same all over the province.

I work for the Ontario government. The pay is comparable to market rates in Toronto and the benefits are much, much better than anything I got after 12 years at Shoppers: dental, glasses, shiatsu massage (seriously!), custom orthotics.

Hey, did your friends ever tell you what the pharamcists salary at those stores were?

If you know please let me know

Anyone have any idea of the income made after taxes in the vancouver area.