How much do they know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

max777

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a question that I'm not sure anybody will know the answer to, but... I took the MCAT last year because I wasn't 100% sure at the time of what I wanted to do with myself. I'm completely pursuing dentistry now, and have a few interviews coming up. I'm afraid that if they found out I've taken the MCAT they're going to think I'm not really committed to dentistry. I never applied to any medical schools so none should have ever recieved my scores, but does anyone think that somehow they will find out and bring it up in my interviews? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

max777,

I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think that they will know you took the MCAT unless, you stated on your secondary application (sometimes they ask if you applied to med schools or if you've taken the MCAT). And even if they did ask you, you just have to explain why you chose dentistry instead.

I was pre-optometry for nearly 2 years. I've worked with several optometrists. Although I did not take the Optometry Admissions Test, my experiences in optometry were mentioned. Of all the interviews I have gone to, no one really even asked anything about why I changed. I was able to state why I changed in my personal statement. Of course after I decided to go into dentistry, I did a lot of research and volunteering in that field to show that I was genuinely interested. Well hope this helps. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just concentrate on what you need to do.

Thanks Caligirl!

Members don't see this ad :)
i too applied to dentistry this year and have taken the MCAT. i also applied to meds. i know some people think applicants should REALLY know they want to do before applying, but quite frankly, as a fourth year undergrad student trying to determine his future, i essentially applied to everything i can to cover my bases. in other words, i don't want to be too naive into thinking i should only apply to one thing and stick with it; i have backup plans

now, i really want to "give a good try" for my application into dentistry. i am a little stump as to how i will answer if they ask me if i applied to meds. of course i will answer honestly, but i am a little worried as to how i will answer that question. any suggestions?

I applied to dental school this year for 2002 and was pre-med in college. I actually took the MCAT in my junior year and after graduating college and applied for the 2000 entering class. I genuinely was interested in medical school in college and then just slowly started losing interest. The fact that I didn't get in just made my not liking medicine as much easier to deal with. And my husband is an Internist and I watched him go thru his residency and decided being on call 24/7 was not my dream!
I used my essay to explain my transition and had experience shadowing/working for a dentist before and after taking the DAT. I just showed the admissions committee that I once was interested in med but have found my true passion in dentistry.
I applied thru AADSAS and TMDSAS and app for TMDSAS asks you if you have ever taken the MCAT or applied to med school.
If you have good strong support for your decision to change your mind from med to dentistry it is your right and you can make it work for you and not against you.
Rather than saying you took the MCAT to cover your bases just say that you were interested in a Health Profession but were unsure which one was for you until you started shadowing a dentist and saw dentistry was better than medicine or any other health profession b/c....(give strong reasons here).

I have gotten into 4 schools despite my prev. application to medical school!

Good Luck!