How much do vet school grades really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess to take the original topic of this thread a tad further, did any of you go through school just not concerned with making A's? And is that an okay thing to do? I feel like everyone around me is always discussing what they need to keep a 90% and disputing points with professors and I am just as happy with my B and C grades (and the occasional sub 95 A, lol). The only speciality I'm interested in right now is Shelter, and every person I have talked to at school says to go straight into practice for that and not worry about residencies/internships. I just feel like I'm missing something key if I'm not pushing myself as hard as others for those A's.

An awful lot of people who go into vet school are Type A and often perfectionists. I wasn't one of them. I wasn't concerned with making As; I didn't really care what my grades were other than if they were a reflection of my not knowing important stuff. Someone wise advised me in my first year, that it took 30% more work to go from a C to a B, but 80% more work to go from a B to an A.......in other words, it took so much more work out of proportion to to increase of one letter grade. So I focused on feeling comfortable with what I learned, not the grade I got.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I guess to take the original topic of this thread a tad further, did any of you go through school just not concerned with making A's? And is that an okay thing to do? I feel like everyone around me is always discussing what they need to keep a 90% and disputing points with professors and I am just as happy with my B and C grades (and the occasional sub 95 A, lol). The only speciality I'm interested in right now is Shelter, and every person I have talked to at school says to go straight into practice for that and not worry about residencies/internships. I just feel like I'm missing something key if I'm not pushing myself as hard as others for those A's.
Here's my take on it:

During first year I had this rigorous scholarship that rolled over from undergrad, and in order to keep in for first year I had to get a certain GPA and they wouldn't budge on it. So with that in mind I worked my butt off, not really doing anything else but trying to get those A's. Just studying, sleeping, studying. At the end of the semester I got what I needed... but I was so miserable and depressed and the next block of school I was a shell of a person and quickly spiraling into clinical depression. I very slowly woke up and realized that the effort I needed to get those A's were killing my mental health, so after that I started doing things I loved, spent time with family/friends, still studied decently, but became happy and satisfied with grades other than A's, and it lifted my mental health back into where it belonged.

So yes, in my opinion, it is more than okay to not worry about A's, because the process of getting there (for me) just wasn't worth it in the end. It might be worth it to some, and that's okay, but personally if I valued mental health more than A's I was happier and learned better overall.

CALLING ALL CURRENT VETS:

During vet school, is passing really all that matters if you have absolutely no interest in doing a residency? I know everyone says "C's get degrees", but will that actually hinder your desirability when potential employers are looking at you? What about internships? Do any of these people ask for your GPA in school? How much do grades REALLY matter? Thank you!

As an employer: We have never asked for grades.

We are expecting that your clinical diagnostic skills are decent and can be improved with coaching from more experienced vets. Some new grads we hired ARE good, some are borderline terrible in this area. It is almost impossible to figure out during an interview, short of giving a detailed "test", i.e. posing scenarios, asking what would you do and why.

In the department of unsolicited advice, what does an employer want from a new grad?

You are not in school anymore!

Starting thinking now before you graduate about what you would do if you had no one to ask. You are not presenting the case to your professors who want to know that you have considered all of this possibilities because you have to tell them. If you present to the clients in this manner, it appears to be lack of confidence and indecision. Learn to explain things without using only the medical words because the clients don't know what they mean, keep it simple: E.g.

" The most likely thing is ________ and therefore we will do __________. Other things are possible and it X doesn't improve, then we will do Y. Please let us know if a few days how things are going."

There are few zebras in private practice, MOST cases are one fairly obvious primary problem: nasty ears, skin issues, eye goop (stain always) and then decide if the neopolydex drops are the right choice, do senior bloodwork (always with the Free T4 please! especially in cats), learn how to manage diabetes with the proper insulin, feline hyperthyroidism, the opposite for dogs, UTIs, etc.

Most important: Learn how to integrate the BIG PICTURE, don't get lost in the trees and get stuck on one symptom. Make sure you know how to think your way through a problem.

Also: The point about anesthesia is very good. Learn how to do this well, manage BP will fluids, use gas anesthesia, keep the body temp up. Gentle tissue handling is important. They should wake up quickly and nicely. Shouldn't be gorked for 24 hours after.

Finally, you may not like it but your DVM or VMD title makes you a supervisor of everyone working under you. Things will happen only because of your orders, don't tolerate idleness - it makes your job harder. Learn how to sequence the work or yourself and everyone working on your cases for best throughput, send two people to get x-rays, while you start the case in the next room and so forth. You will get done sooner and the clients will be happier as they are finished more quickly. Seek first to be respected and then to be liked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Never did an employer ask for my GPA, but one did ask for my board score. When I told her what it was, she was upset that it was higher than hers. (Then why ask? This is why you don't put your gpa on your resume) She offered me a job anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Never did an employer ask for my GPA, but one did ask for my board score. When I told her what it was, she was upset that it was higher than hers. (Then why ask? This is why you don't put your gpa on your resume) She offered me a job anyways.

She actually remembered her board score and cared what it was and what your score was?

It sure does appear that way.

tumblr_o3tv3cr1v81udh5n8o1_500.gif

Reactions: 4 users