How much do y'all study on an average day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours outside of class do you study on an average (non-exam week) day ?

• < 2 hrs

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • 2 to 3 hrs

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • 3 to 4 hrs

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • 4 to 5 hrs

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • > 5 hrs

Votes: 36 16.7%

• Total voters

karirunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious....and wanting to justify not studying tonight :) (hey if no one else is......)

Members don't see this ad.

I ought to add a modifier to my poll answer that says "and never ever on a Friday night!"

yeah, fridays are my night off too...but really, my weekday studying never consists of more than preparing for the next day's class...and then on weekends i review the past week. working well so far for me... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
We need a secondary poll asking "Is that the _true_ number of hours you study? Are you willing to swear it on your mother's grave?"

Who studies less than 2 hours per day?! WTF?!?!?!!? If you're acing your classes, we need to talk and I need to be your BFF.

Wow,

that's a pretty even spread. I thought more people would be in the 3 and up categories.

I'm wondering if those who don't study much during lax periods really crack down during exam periods or is it still relatively chill?

Who studies less than 2 hours per day?! WTF?!?!?!!? If you're acing your classes, we need to talk and I need to be your BFF.

This could also be the result of MS1's who have yet to have their first exam.

No offense to the OP for her curiosity, but. . .

Come ON now my dear friends - aren't we done with this "I study less than you do and still get As" stuff? Yes, I realize that SDN is a self-selecting group of super-anality, but seriously folks. Most MSs are P/F now anyway; 70% = 95%, so does it really matter?

Then again, maybe I'm still stuck in "ACK SUMMER!" mode. I think that "pain incurred while studying" and "outside temperature" are directly proportionate.

::edited for spelling, possible offensiveness::

No offense to the OP for her curiosity, but. . .

Come ON now my dear friends - aren't we done with this "I study less than you do and still get As" stuff? Yes, I realize that SDN is a self-selecting group of super-anality, but seriously folks. Most MSs are P/F now anyway; 70% = 95%, so does it really matter?

Then again, maybe I'm still stuck in "ACK SUMMER!" mode. I think that "pain incurred while studying" and "outside temperature" are directly proportionate.

::edited for spelling, possible offensiveness::

Not sure about your school, but at mine, while we are P/F, it's not accurate to say 70 = 95. Mine (and I would guess most schools) still keeps track of raw scores for the purposes of class rank.

My school is pass fail, so yes I do study <2Hrs a day, and no I'm not acing my classes.

That's an average though. Of course, I study a little more around exam time. :p

-X

We need a secondary poll asking "Is that the _true_ number of hours you study? Are you willing to swear it on your mother's grave?"

a better question might be, how many hours are you not studying.... and for some that would be: how many hours of sleep am i getting?

I have never met any medical student anywhere who studies more than 5 hours a day except during the week of an exam.

Then you aren't frequenting the right parts of the library. The folks doing the most extreme approach would laugh at a petty 5 hours.

That just amazes me. Maybe these people do exist, but only in the library. Doesnt make for much of a life outside of Robbins and Harrisons.

Lots of students study more than 5 hours a day, but few, if any, of those students also go to class.

That just amazes me. Maybe these people do exist, but only in the library. Doesnt make for much of a life outside of Robbins and Harrisons.
Most people study two-three hours a day?? I must be a slow one then. I go to class and then get done what I plan on getting done in studying, which takes usually about five hours. Six hours of class plus five hours study still leaves me six hours or so to take care of business, pursue hobbies, hang out, etc.

Edit: But it would be pretty sweet to cut my study time in half without failing. I would if I knew how.

I have never met any medical student anywhere who studies more than 5 hours a day except during the week of an exam.

that is utter BS. I study for 6 or 7 hours a day every day. and there are man y other people in my class who study more than that. that's up from 5-6 hours a day first year.

and i ain't acing any tests either.

today i studied from 2-6 and then from 8:30-11. FUN!

that is utter BS. I study for 6 or 7 hours a day every day. and there are man y other people in my class who study more than that. that's up from 5-6 hours a day first year.

and i ain't acing any tests either.

today i studied from 2-6 and then from 8:30-11. FUN!

It seems like the pertinent question here is do you go to class? If so, does your school have a schedule with limited class time, or one where you spend more of the day in class/lab?

As a newbie, I'm really reluctant to study 6 plus hours a day after I get home from class (usually from 4 to 6 pm depending on the day).

Also, for those of you who do the major studying, what about weekends? Do you take them entirely off, or do you keep it up on Saturday and Sunday?

It seems like the pertinent question here is do you go to class? If so, does your school have a schedule with limited class time, or one where you spend more of the day in class/lab?

As a newbie, I'm really reluctant to study 6 plus hours a day after I get home from class (usually from 4 to 6 pm depending on the day).

Also, for those of you who do the major studying, what about weekends? Do you take them entirely off, or do you keep it up on Saturday and Sunday?

Most of the folks who study the daily material each day after class do their major review and assimilation of the week in its entirety on the weekends. The goal is generally to go through the material as many times as possible, and for some that means reviewing quickly before class, going to class or watching the lecture on AVI/MP3, reviewing after class, reviewing it again on the weekends, and looking it over once more before the test. Everyone will have their own variation on this and some people will get more per pass than others, but as a newbie, you really want to assume you need more, not less repeats. Depending on your test schedule, there will be some weekends where you can free up a certain amount of time, often a whole day, or large blocks of both days. It's all about time management But it is not typical in med school for someone to be able to take off whole weekends with any regularity and not be shortchanging themselves of study time they really need. Again, eveyone is unique, and some folks are blessed with better minds than others. For most of the rest, the only way you learn this stuff is via repetition -- look at it over and over and over again. So start out doing overkill, and scale back as appropriate. And don't assume that what works for someone else will work for you.

Another thing that dramatically influences this is your expectations for yourself. If you want to honor every class, you're obviously going to study a lot more than if you're satisfied with passing every class. I'm somewhere between the two, leaning toward the pass side, and I don't study more than 4-6 hours per weekend (total) unless I have a test on Monday. Your own expectations definitely matter.

My school is notorious for the difficulty and "nose to the grindstone" sort of mentality. Last year as an MS1 I didn't go to class - only to mandatory activities and labs. I studied somewhere between 6 and 8 hours a day. I rarely took a day off on the weekends.

Now as a new MS2 I find myself putting in the same hours, but falling a little bit behind where I'd like to be. Gonna have to kick it up a notch next week. I haven't taken a day off yet :(, but negotiated with myself for one day off this long weekend.

I'm sure I could take time off on the weekends if I worked longer days, but I like having a little bit of time to myself every day to unwind, maybe talk to my family or friends from my "past life."