HOW MUCH DO YOU VALUE CONTENT REVIEW over REVIEW BOOKS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurryPower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am the phase where I am doing HEAVY content review...I have a 3.98, but it has only been in the general course, but I have received all As in my science classes...prob-I forgot a lot of it except maybe ORGO.

Well for BIO-
Biochem- all Lehninger Bio (Chapter 2-7)
Cell BIO- just for the Organelles and Cell Cycle/mitosis (Bruce Alberts)
Molecular Genetics- Last Unit in Lehninger that teaches DNArep/trans/translation
Heredity + Genetic Basis of Development- Campbell Reece Chapters + Maybe several chapters of upper genetics dealing with heredity problems-crosses, family trees, etc...
Microbiology, Viruses, Evolution - Campbell Reece
All the Physiology - Mostly my Physio course this FALL + Campbell

To review my content, I do Schaums Bio + I constantly review my notes...MY GOAL: to piece THE HUMAN body together- I hope that the theme MCAT tests is can you you analyze any catabolic, anabolic, metabolic pathway...I want to cover as much BIO I can so it becomes second nature. For example, if we talk about signal transduction, Ill think of the Enzyme-linked, ion-channel, and G-protein examples--not so much for the specific pathways- but what type of cells use it, etc...

On top of this, I plan on reading the 50 page Histology, 50 Page Immunology, 50 Page Cancer, and 50 Page Pathology chapter in Bruce Alberts---> Simply for Casual read and FAMILIARITY of the topic sometime this fall--> maybe Ill devote 4 days straight.

Call me crazy, but I HATE taking EK problems, or any mcat problems, and tackling everything with intuition. While I realize INTUITION is KEY and memorization is the other 50%, why not familiarize yourself as much as possible? I just wanna master as much as I can.

That was the end of my BIO review--pheww

Physics- Hewitt Conceptual Physics + Halliday.

Gen Chem- My CHEM book + chemmybear.com- amazing site.

ORGO: not much if you're really good at it

VERBAL- PR Review, LSAT problems (my buddy, a top 5 med school, uppd his verbal from 9-12 by handling tougher problems), Berkeley Review, + EK (which Im almost finished with) + Reading 3 ECONOMIST passages a day as WARM-UP

For COMBO BIO/Physics problems - Ill prob sit in on the Medical Physics class this fall

For combo Physics/Chemistry problems -Im taking a physics and chemistry class that deals with thermodynamics and a lot of overlap between the two.

Call me crazy, but Ive been going at it for a month...
EXAM DATE: April 2009
Practice MATERIAL: Berkley- all, EK-all, Kaplan topical, PR verbal+science workbook,
EXAMS for 3-4 months from DEC-March= gold standard, PR, Kaplan, + AAMC

Hows this...I won't officially tackle all the problems until starting possibly this October,, but why not TRULY MASTER the stuff before tackling EK...

Members don't see this ad.

how can u criticize that way...then whats the effective way for those people who get the 38s and 39s?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that's good and all, but it's not high yield at all. From the 50 pages of histology, you may gain one fact that will be on one MCAT exam out of 50. You would be much better served sticking to review books, doing exams, etc.

Since you have so much time till your exam and are so motivated, let me give you a study plan:

1) All EK books -- content review, 1001, and 16 mini MCATS. 2 Months.
2) Kaplan review books that go with the class. All sectionals, discertes, topicals, etc. Get the Kaplan Qbank and do it all. 3 Months.
3) Special materials -- MCAT 45, the questions in the TPR workout book, Kaplan Premier book, TPR CBT book, etc. 1 Month.
3) Get your hand on as many exams as you can -- you can easily do 50+ exams in the time you have and 50 full lengths are out there from varying sources (GS has 10, Kaplan has arounf 15, AAMC has 8, etc). 4 Months.

I think everyone on this forum will tell you that this plan is far more likely to yield you a 40+ score than your current plan.

how can u criticize that way...then whats the effective way for those people who get the 38s and 39s?

It's not all just knowing the content, it's knowing HOW to take the MCAT. There is a method to the madness.

I made the mistake of just studying content for my first MCAT and it didn't work out so well.

thanks guys, the TRUTH is,,, yeah i have a high gpa, but i didnt major in BIO, i dint take bio in over a year...so im pissed...took the easy major and easy way, not its hitting me.

thanks guys, the TRUTH is,,, yeah i have a high gpa, but i didnt major in BIO, i dint take bio in over a year...so im pissed...took the easy major and easy way, not its hitting me.

Wait, isn't biology the easy major? ;)

And you only need two semesters of biology for the MCAT. The MCAT won't need anything more.

There is a 30 plus forum filled with every different strategy possible. I don't understand how people still post questions on how to study. Some people grab the AAMC topics and go through their review books. Others read through books and then refer to AAMC to make sure they've covered everything. OP, from my understanding you're one of those people who memorizes your way to grades. This is why I love the MCAT, it will kill people like you. The MCAT is 50% knowledge and 50% test taking. For example, everyone complains about orgo. Why? Because on the exam they give you reactions you've never seen before and test if you TRULY understand how stuff works. Take the advice above and do as many practice exams and passages as possible. Good luck

Actually, I dont memorize ALL my ways...i had the highest orgo average (i go to a top 20 university)...but I am still very worried because sure the MCAT has all these passages that seem to require above and beyond knowledge of the AAMC 2003 syllabus.

TROLL

Actually i don't think he's one but i went ahead and got it out the way before someone else came in and made this proclamation.

Memorize all the content you want. As the above posters already mentioned, the MCAT tests how well you can critically think. The MCAT largely takes for granted that you already know the content. There are very few questions that ask what is the function of x? Rather, the MCAT tests how well you can actually apply this information to new contexts and make new connections. I really don't think the review notes on cancer and pathology will be all that useful, but if you are determined, have at it. But make sure to enjoy life along the way...

Let me reiterate what has been said here, and add some thoughts of my own...

#1) GPA is not a meaningful indicator of how you will do on the MCAT. There's probably some correlation, but the truth is that you can memorize your way to a 4.0 in biological sciences, but cannot do so for the MCAT.

#2) Learning all of that material is a complete waste. You need to be smart about your study time and learn (in great depth) the concepts and knowledge that is known to be tested on the MCAT. Extra stuff will not serve you. The first thing you should do is base your studying around Kaplan, Princeton, or Berkeley review books. Going a little bit outside of what is presented in those books could be beneficial if it helps you understand that limited content set... but, what is really important is learning to THINK about the logic of the test and the material you are presented, NOT to memorize everything you possibly can.

2cc8e00a1f036ad47cafa451afc63d3b95017700.jpg

To beat the MCAT you have to know what it looks like...I linked a picture of it so you can be ready at all times...

sorry...that was cheesy..i know...stupid facebook flair...

Put it this way, I think someone who follows a review book can score just as well if not better than you if they understand the material they're reading. Again, I would focus more on practice with all the time you have. You're bound to forgot details eventually anyways.

Hey guys,

I am the phase where I am doing HEAVY content review...I have a 3.98, but it has only been in the general course, but I have received all As in my science classes...prob-I forgot a lot of it except maybe ORGO.

Well for BIO-
Biochem- all Lehninger Bio (Chapter 2-7)
Cell BIO- just for the Organelles and Cell Cycle/mitosis (Bruce Alberts)
Molecular Genetics- Last Unit in Lehninger that teaches DNArep/trans/translation
Heredity + Genetic Basis of Development- Campbell Reece Chapters + Maybe several chapters of upper genetics dealing with heredity problems-crosses, family trees, etc...
Microbiology, Viruses, Evolution - Campbell Reece
All the Physiology - Mostly my Physio course this FALL + Campbell

To review my content, I do Schaums Bio + I constantly review my notes...MY GOAL: to piece THE HUMAN body together- I hope that the theme MCAT tests is can you you analyze any catabolic, anabolic, metabolic pathway...I want to cover as much BIO I can so it becomes second nature. For example, if we talk about signal transduction, Ill think of the Enzyme-linked, ion-channel, and G-protein examples--not so much for the specific pathways- but what type of cells use it, etc...

On top of this, I plan on reading the 50 page Histology, 50 Page Immunology, 50 Page Cancer, and 50 Page Pathology chapter in Bruce Alberts---> Simply for Casual read and FAMILIARITY of the topic sometime this fall--> maybe Ill devote 4 days straight.

Call me crazy, but I HATE taking EK problems, or any mcat problems, and tackling everything with intuition. While I realize INTUITION is KEY and memorization is the other 50%, why not familiarize yourself as much as possible? I just wanna master as much as I can.

That was the end of my BIO review--pheww

Physics- Hewitt Conceptual Physics + Halliday.

Gen Chem- My CHEM book + chemmybear.com- amazing site.

ORGO: not much if you're really good at it

VERBAL- PR Review, LSAT problems (my buddy, a top 5 med school, uppd his verbal from 9-12 by handling tougher problems), Berkeley Review, + EK (which Im almost finished with) + Reading 3 ECONOMIST passages a day as WARM-UP

For COMBO BIO/Physics problems - Ill prob sit in on the Medical Physics class this fall

For combo Physics/Chemistry problems -Im taking a physics and chemistry class that deals with thermodynamics and a lot of overlap between the two.

Call me crazy, but Ive been going at it for a month...
EXAM DATE: April 2009
Practice MATERIAL: Berkley- all, EK-all, Kaplan topical, PR verbal+science workbook,
EXAMS for 3-4 months from DEC-March= gold standard, PR, Kaplan, + AAMC

Hows this...I won't officially tackle all the problems until starting possibly this October,, but why not TRULY MASTER the stuff before tackling EK...

While I agree with you that content review is under-rated, I don't think EK, etc. emphasize intuition over content. If anything, they seem to emphasize content even *more* than AAMC. It's just that the content that's emphasized in these prep books is quite specific, and those "high yield facts" are what you're going to want to focus on memorizing, not the stuff that's in your textbook.

Although, I will say that spending the time the *first* time around really understanding my Wade's o-chem book was totally worth it, and gives me a confidence lvl in o-chem that's just not there in some other subjs. But is that little bit of extra confidence worth that much IRL MCAT points? I doubt it. Personally, I think EK gives tons of "extra" science tidbits, and if you bother trying to understand all the italicized (nonvital) info, maybe supplementing it with some online research, that's plenty good enough in terms of content review. Understanding a bit beyond what's required is very helpful, but at some pt, going deeper is just not going to yield as much in terms of return.

But, you seem super motivated. I know I couldn't wade through all that text in trying to study. So, if it works for you, why not?

Well, that's good and all, but it's not high yield at all. From the 50 pages of histology, you may gain one fact that will be on one MCAT exam out of 50. You would be much better served sticking to review books, doing exams, etc.

Since you have so much time till your exam and are so motivated, let me give you a study plan:

1) All EK books -- content review, 1001, and 16 mini MCATS. 2 Months.
2) Kaplan review books that go with the class. All sectionals, discertes, topicals, etc. Get the Kaplan Qbank and do it all. 3 Months.
3) Special materials -- MCAT 45, the questions in the TPR workout book, Kaplan Premier book, TPR CBT book, etc. 1 Month.
3) Get your hand on as many exams as you can -- you can easily do 50+ exams in the time you have and 50 full lengths are out there from varying sources (GS has 10, Kaplan has arounf 15, AAMC has 8, etc). 4 Months.

I think everyone on this forum will tell you that this plan is far more likely to yield you a 40+ score than your current plan.

where do u get the kaplan FL's if not registered in the course?