How much does a letter from a school's graduate affect your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5h4na

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Quick question.
I have very very VERY average stats, so I'm aware this is a long-shot question.

How much would an amazing letter from a Columbia grad affect my chances at the school? (He let me read it because he was so proud of it lol.)
Again, very average applicant just trying to gauge if I should waste my time or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you be more specific? Average has a different meaning for everyone.

Can you be more specific? Average has a different meaning for everyone.
average like 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT?
I dunno but I wouldn't feel okay with reading the letter knowing that dental schools REALLY want students to waive their right from seeing their LOR's

Members don't see this ad :)
average like 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT?
I dunno but I wouldn't feel okay with reading the letter knowing that dental schools REALLY want students to waive their right from seeing their LOR's

3.3 gpa and 19aa/21 PAT. More like average applicant.
I see, unfortunately one day shadowing with him he pulled it up and showed me in himself on his computer. That wouldn't be an issue right?

3.3 gpa and 19aa/21 PAT. More like average applicant.
I see, unfortunately one day shadowing with him he pulled it up and showed me in himself on his computer. That wouldn't be an issue right?
that's just slightly below average. you should have told him you don't want to see it. nothing to do about it now though.
the only thing i'll say is a combination of good things (like LOR's, volunteering, experience, shadowing) can make your application noteworthy. if everything else is average besides a stellar LOR...that won't give you a crazy advantage.
apply broadly...and based on statistics...it's the average people that get accepted

Reactions: 1 user
that's just slightly below average. you should have told him you don't want to see it. nothing to do about it now though.
the only thing i'll say is a combination of good things (like LOR's, volunteering, experience, shadowing) can make your application noteworthy. if everything else is average besides a stellar LOR...that won't give you a crazy advantage.
apply broadly...and based on statistics...it's the average people that get accepted

I see! Thank you for your input!
So would you suggest even adding Columbia on my list? Im currently at 17 schools as it is, 3 being the Texas schools. (I am a resident)

if you are already at 17 I would probably hold off unless money is not an issue. But if it is your DREAM school, apply!

I see! Thank you for your input!
So would you suggest even adding Columbia on my list? Im currently at 17 schools as it is, 3 being the Texas schools. (I am a resident)
I'm not sure about being too hopeful about columbia. it's gonna be a really long shot. I'd save the money but if it'll make you feel better go for it. Columbia wants 3 science LOR's on top of whatever else you want (if you exceed number on AADSAS have profs send them directly to columbia)
I'm jealous about the TX residency...you have a pretty good shot at those schools there. if I would get into A&M this cycle I would go there most likely. amazing price. all TX schools are really good too

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure about being too hopeful about columbia. it's gonna be a really long shot. I'd save the money but if it'll make you feel better go for it. Columbia wants 3 science LOR's on top of whatever else you want (if you exceed number on AADSAS have profs send them directly to columbia)
I'm jealous about the TX residency...you have a pretty good shot at those schools there. if I would get into A&M this cycle I would go there most likely. amazing price. all TX schools are really good too

Hm okay. You've convinced me to save $95! Thank you.
I hope you get in! Good luck!
And also, even with my totally mediocre stats you think I have a good chance in TX? I've been keeping my hopes low since they have very respectable average gpas.

Hm okay. You've convinced me to save $95! Thank you.
I hope you get in! Good luck!
And also, even with my totally mediocre stats you think I have a good chance in TX? I've been keeping my hopes low since they have very respectable average gpas.
they do have very high GPA's but as a resident I think you have a pretty good shot. If your experiences, shadowing, PS, LOR's are good I think you have a very good shot if interviews and possibly acceptances.

they do have very high GPA's but as a resident I think you have a pretty good shot. If your experiences, shadowing, PS, LOR's are good I think you have a very good shot if interviews and possibly acceptances.

Well that definitely gives me some sort of peace of mind!
Thank you so much for your help!
Good luck this cycle!

I have heard that it doesn't really matter to them who writes the letter, but more so the content of the letter and what they can say about you.

Honestly 3.3 GPA with a 19AA isn't a killer but your grades aren't the thing that's going to get you the interview. If you can beef up your CV in other areas I would focus on that. If you don't get in this year tho, I say your best bet is to bust out a 22+ AA to balance out the GPA. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Why not apply and try your luck!

Luck is something big in this world!

Luck decides half of the stuff that happens in our lives, the other half is decided by our actions and work.