How much does a very positive trend GPA help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtepper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st year: 3.64
2nd year: 3.80
3rd year: 4.00

I'm just curious what everyone's opinion on this is. I'm trying to squeeze any hope out of my app as possible. I noticed on mdapps, in the past 2 years or so, most of the schools I applied to only had 1 acceptance for a 29 MCAT(that is listed on mdapps)... eek. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You considered the DO route?

1st year: 3.64
2nd year: 3.80
3rd year: 4.00

I'm just curious what everyone's opinion on this is. I'm trying to squeeze any hope out of my app as possible. I noticed on mdapps, in the past 2 years or so, most of the schools I applied to only had 1 acceptance for a 29 MCAT(that is listed on mdapps)... eek. Thanks.
Even with your lowest gpa 3.64, you'll still get accepted somewhere. I saw people on here get accepted with a 3.2

Members don't see this ad :)
many people's overall GPA is where your 1st year GPA is, so I think you are solid. Additionally, starting with a lower GPA while adjusting to college and stuff is much much better than starting high and dropping off because you can't handle upper division courses. As far as I am concerned, you don't need to worry about your GPA. What is your actual cumulative GPA? if it is around 3.8, then you're in a good position.

Your gpa is fine as is....with a 3.8 something cumulative I doubt they even look at trend.

Sorry, it must've come out wrong. My question is: Is my rising trend a good enuf trade off with a 29 to be on par with an avg or subavg applicant....like say, a 30 or 31 and a 3.6..

So,...
is 29/3.82 with rising trend ~ 30/3.6 ? Because, right now, according to mdapps, I'd rather have the second scenario.

your GPA is fine, don't think about "trend". Trend usually only matters if your GPA is low (<3.5)

a 29 isn't a bad score either. it probably won't get you into Harvard or anything, but it's a solid score with a solid GPA to back it up.

Sorry, it must've come out wrong. My question is: Is my rising trend a good enuf trade off with a 29 to be on par with an avg or subavg applicant....like say, a 30 or 31 and a 3.6..

So,...
is 29/3.82 with rising trend ~ 30/3.6 ? Because, right now, according to mdapps, I'd rather have the second scenario.

Keep in mind, a strong GPA means more than a strong MCAT. The MCAT is one test, one day, it doesn't represent you as a student nearly as well as the GPA you develop over a couple years in college. You have a pretty good GPA, so you should be in a pretty good position assuming you have good extra curriculars.

Keep in mind, a strong GPA means more than a strong MCAT. The MCAT is one test, one day, it doesn't represent you as a student nearly as well as the GPA you develop over a couple years in college. You have a pretty good GPA, so you should be in a pretty good position assuming you have good extra curriculars.

I wish I could believe you... but all my research tends to show that it's better to have an alright gpa and a great mcat than the other way around. As a student, you are an investment to the school in the end. A higher MCAT shows a better chance to pass the USMLE. I know that both together show the best correlation, but, while it might be true, it seems that most admissions committee's weigh the mcat higher for the aforementioned reasons. I have no proof, but this is just my impression from my readings on sdn.

Edit: Actually, I found some "proof" where I read it a while ago....
Copied from Poster: SpicedManna
Originally Posted by AAMC Website

Koenig, J.A.; Wiley, A. The Validity of the Medical College Admission Test for Predicting Performance in the First Two Years of Medical School. Academic Medicine, 71;S83-S85, 1996.

PURPOSE: To assess the validity of the Medical College Admission Test for predicting performance in the first two years of Medical School.

METHODS: Sixteen medical schools, representative of the 125 U.S. medical schools, participated in the predictive validity study. Data obtained from each school included basic science grades, USMLE Step 1 scores, MCAT scores, undergraduate GPA (UGPA), undergraduate institution selectivity, medical school grades, and Step 1 scores. Relationships among the variables were analyzed using multiple regression analysis. Regressions were run separately for the entrants to each school. Two student cohort groups were studied, those who entered medical school in the falls of 1992 and 1993. Performance was summarized by computing end-of-year grade point averages for each year and a two-year cumulative GPA, which was the simple average of the two end-of-year averages. Multiple correlation coefficients were obtained for five unique predictor sets: Undergraduate science GPA and undergraduate nonscience GPA (UGPAs); MCAT scores; UGPAs and selectivity; UGPAs and MCATs; and UGPAs, selectivity, and MCAT scores. For each regression, all variables were entered simultaneously.

RESULTS: MCAT scores had slightly higher correlations with medical school grades (median correlations ranging from .615 to .67) than did UGPA data (median correlations ranging from .54 to .58). Prediction of performance was improved when the two sets of predictors were considered together (median correlations of .70 to .76). A considerable difference was noted when median correlations were compared for UGPA predicting Step 1 (median R=.48) versus MCAT predicting Step 1 (median R=.72). When MCAT and GPA data were considered jointly, the median correlation coefficient increased. MCAT's utility in the admission process became evident when values obtained for predictor set 3 (UGPA and selectivity) were compared with those obtained for predictor set 5 (UGPA, selectivity, and MCAT). The increases in median values were .15 for year 1 GPA, .11 for year 2 GPA, .12 for cumulative GPA, and .22 for USMLE Step 1.

CONCLUSIONS: The authors noted that establishing the validity of the MCAT for predicting performance in the first two basic science years of medical school is a crucial step in the overall validity studies planned for the MCAT. In addition to the variables examined in their study, the authors suggested that other criterion variables need to be evaluated such as USMLE Step 2 and 3 scores as they become available. The authors stated that a study is underway that will examine the extent to which MCAT predicts performance differently for individuals grouped by gender and racial/ethnic status.

Last edited:
My advisor told me that a positive trend will become a favorable factor only when committee has to choose between two applicants with similar stats.

What?! I'm not a troll, simply a disheartened premed... Jeebus, I was just looking for insight, nvm. Thanks everyone else for your responses.

What?! I'm not a troll, simply a disheartened premed... Jeebus, I was just looking for insight, nvm. Thanks everyone else for your responses.
He was not talking about you.. I believe he was talking about ANF1986.

Just don't worry too much. You already took the test and applied. Only thing you can do right now is wait.

lol calm down, have some faith in yourself. Was talking about that other guy.

WIth your lowest year being 3.6ish, I dont think your trend will come into play...maybe if it was 3.0, 3.5, 4.0

But yes...29/3.82 should make you competitive.

ah... ok. Thanks for the responses.

Troll fo sho.

Lol...isnt that a little stuffed animal or somethin you pick up at the board walk? I didn't notice his culm and thought his GPA was banged up... Chillax...

Lol...isnt that a little stuffed animal or somethin you pick up at the board walk? I didn't notice his culm and thought his GPA was banged up... Chillax...
Nah, they're those misunderstood guys that live under bridges seeking companionship.
I'm somewhat confident that the OP was asking for MD application help and not DO, so I smelled a troll.

Chill, I was kidding with that too.