How much does an upward trend in science GPA help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenextcarnegie

D.D.S. Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

Just a quick question, I hope you guys can be honest here.
I had a poor freshman year start to my degree mainly because of family issues and overall transition. Anyways, not making excuses but it happened, can't do much. Just finished a 12 credit summer science semester and killed it with a 3.5 (Anatomy/Physiology/Microbiology). My freshman year is probably the only blemish I have on my application as a whole. After that ordeal I've hit atleast a 3.3 gpa in my last 7 semester(s).

I did switch my major to non-traditional, and I took science classes here and there along with the requirements for dental school. Overall science GPA isn't the best but just curious to see what other's think? Do let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely helps. But it also sounds like what you're describing is just a bad year, not so much a continued upward trend. Either way the improvement will be looked at favorably. What is your overall science GPA currently?

Currently after all of that it's a 2.9 science with a 3.2 overall. I think after that poor semester I hit the following: 3.1, 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.8, 4.0, 3.5, 3.5. Chem II was always my biggest weakness which is why I had a 3.5 in my last semester before graduating. But I got the requirement done. Then a 3.5 this semester in those 3 classes mentioned above!

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering that the average matriculant is sitting around a 3.5, I wouldn't really label a 3.5 as an upward trend just because your starting GPA was low. You'd really need to impress if you want admissions to even consider it an "upward trend"... just my two cents though.

Did you just graduate?

Hmmm, interesting average matriculant is still pretty high. Anyways, I graduated last year. I have been volunteering, taking classes, took the DAT (20), and working as a dental assistant for the year.

Hmmm, interesting average matriculant is still pretty high. Anyways, I graduated last year. I have been volunteering, taking classes, took the DAT (20), and working as a dental assistant for the year.
With a 3.2/2.9 I think you're going to need to look into taking more classes/getting a masters.

Okay fair enough, thanks for the advice. I am going to try and see the Post-Bacc route as well. However, I will probably have to wait till after this cycle to see if anyone gets back to me. Chances aren't great of course but let's see. Do you think I should retake the DAT and aim a tad higher?

Okay fair enough, thanks for the advice. I am going to try and see the Post-Bacc route as well. However, I will probably have to wait till after this cycle to see if anyone gets back to me. Chances aren't great of course but let's see. Do you think I should retake the DAT and aim a tad higher?
I know people that would kill for your DAT score. Just work on your gpa like the people above said.

PS: some say that courtois ball just landed on mars lolol

Reactions: 1 users
I know people that would kill for your DAT score. Just work on your GPA like the people above said.

PS: some say that Courtois ball just landed on mars lolol
Thank you so much Alginate! I definitely will! As for Courtois, yeah I don't know about that one, apparently, he's one of our "best" penalty kick takers along with Morata lol.

Reactions: 1 user
An upward trend is great! It will be a positive when they review.

Edit: if you keep the trend going, all your GPAs will go up. So low science gpa shouldn't be a worry. You must maintain the trends though.

Reactions: 1 user
Considering that the average matriculant is sitting around a 3.5, I wouldn't really label a 3.5 as an upward trend just because your starting GPA was low. You'd really need to impress if you want admissions to even consider it an "upward trend"... just my two cents though.

Did you just graduate?
I am also a freshman that just got done with my first semester of college. My GPA this semster is a 3.3. Do you think this is a low starting point? Would I even have a chance? Thank you so much.

I am also a freshman that just got done with my first semester of college. My GPA this semster is a 3.3. Do you think this is a low starting point? Would I even have a chance? Thank you so much.

My first quarter i got a 2.7 and after my first year my GPA was still at a 3.2. I ended up graduating with a 3.65, without taking any summer courses. It's doable! You just gotta work hard and stay focused. so you definitely have a chance! I got into some very reputable schools this cycle.

My first quarter i got a 2.7 and after my first year my GPA was still at a 3.2. I ended up graduating with a 3.65, without taking any summer courses. It's doable! You just gotta work hard and stay focused. so you definitely have a chance! I got into some very reputable schools this cycle.
Thank you so so much for the comment. Now I am feeling a bit better about next semester. Thank you and have a great holiday!