How Much Does It Cost To Train a Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Venom

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

70K? are you kidding? My salary alone for this year is more than that. Add the salary for 5 years, add all the administrative costs, equipment costs, what the program director and program secretaries get paid, insurance costs, ... it goes on and on and on. It costs a lot.

In Canada the government would ultimately pick up these costs (hospitals are all funded by government)

70K? are you kidding? My salary alone for this year is more than that. Add the salary for 5 years, add all the administrative costs, equipment costs, what the program director and program secretaries get paid, insurance costs, ... it goes on and on and on. It costs a lot.

In Canada the government would ultimately pick up these costs (hospitals are all funded by government)

I think the OP is probably considering funding his own residency spot... a nice little loop hold that the Canadian Health types have allowed for several years. Many Canadians don't know about it... but it's how many come to Canada and train in a specialty, then they are supposed to leave and return to their home country (about half end up doing so).

The cost runs into the hundreds of thousands a year, however. The salary is only a fraction of the overall costs. It's actually a great deal for the Canadian government -- they basically get resident labour paid for by a combination of the foreign country and the rich individual.

Just seems like residents are getting shortchanged while these hospitals are profitting.