How much does pedigree matter in finding a job after residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DerpyNeuroMD

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm seeing a lot of variability in programs on the interview trail. Some programs that are a little less prestigious have qualities I really like. I'm worried that if I end up highly ranking and matching at one, I'll be shooting myself in the foot in the long run. Haven't really decided what I want to do yet, or if I even want to do a fellowship. Also concerned about the ability to be geographically mobile once I'm finished. And, of course, compensation. Thoughts?
 
The answer, as always, it depends.

For a non-academic career, pedigree doesn’t matter much. A person who just finished residency at a community program just got a job in a very nice town within an hour drive of one of the largest cities on the West. No fellowship. Pay is 400k+ for outpatient only.

On the other hand, my program refused to hire an epileptologist who did his residency at one of top 20 programs but only did a one year epilepsy training (as opposed to two years).

Reputation and resources matter, but your mental well-being and self fulfillment matter more.

Rank based on how compatible you feel a program is with your personal and career goals.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The answer, as always, it depends.

For a non-academic career, pedigree doesn’t matter much. A person who just finished residency at a community program just got a job in a very nice town within an hour drive of one of the largest cities on the West. No fellowship. Pay is 400k+ for outpatient only.

On the other hand, my program refused to hire an epileptologist who did his residency at one of top 20 programs but only did a one year epilepsy training (as opposed to two years).

Reputation and resources matter, but your mental well-being and self fulfillment matter more.

Rank based on how compatible you feel a program is with your personal and career goals.

This is pretty much it. Within academics it often matters. If you want a research career it matters a great deal. If you want to do private practice, it usually doesn't matter very much, though there are always exceptions within the most competitive markets.