How much does race, ethnicity factor into the residency process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do PDs care? Or is it mostly based on your Step, clinicals, LORs, research?

When applying to medical schools, ORM vs URM matters a lot. Is this the case in residencies selections too?

Members don't see this ad.

id assume it depends. For example Miami probably waants a healthy supply of spanish speakers.

Reactions: 1 user
Boy I do hope phenotype doesn't matter in the match otherwise I'll have to go dig out some ridiculous ancestry. #GunnerGenetics

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Boy I do hope phenotype doesn't matter in the match otherwise I'll have to go dig out some ridiculous ancestry. #GunnerGenetics

I'll have you know, my grandfather was from Wakanda.

It factors in somewhat, but to what degree, where, and how much is hard to say. It's in the same universe as being a URM for medical school.

I think many programs will appreciate someone with a diverse background or heritage. OTOH, I've heard of a program wanting only "tall, good-looking white guys", and their ranks throughout the years reflecting that

id assume it depends. For example Miami probably waants a healthy supply of spanish speakers.
There are plenty of residents in Miami that don't speak Spanish. JMH/UMH has a translator service and like all of the nurses speak either Spanish or Creole, so it's really not a factor down here.

IDK but I just saw a tweet that was quoted by a physician I follow stating how proud he was that they put together such a diverse class of surgical residents for the incoming year and every single one of the 8 incoming interns was non-caucasian except for one (who was a female). Really cool, but makes you wonder if it was just chance from the match process or because the program ranked for diversity.

In addition, I heard some AOA residencies trying to transition to ACGME are getting knocked for not "promoting diversity".

Seems like it will play a factor IMO.

It factors in somewhat, but to what degree, where, and how much is hard to say. It's in the same universe as being a URM for medical school.

I think many programs will appreciate someone with a diverse background or heritage. OTOH, I've heard of a program wanting only "tall, good-looking white guys", and their ranks throughout the years reflecting that

I like tall, good-looking white guys

Reactions: 4 users
IDK but I just saw a tweet that was quoted by a physician I follow stating how proud he was that they put together such a diverse class of surgical residents for the incoming year and every single one of the 8 incoming interns was non-caucasian except for one (who was a female). Really cool, but makes you wonder if it was just chance from the match process or because the program ranked for diversity.

In addition, I heard some AOA residencies trying to transition to ACGME are getting knocked for not "promoting diversity".

Make it a link , I'll be sure to send some trolls to spray paint "Make America Great Again" around the area. If any cretin believes meritocracy should be outranked by any criteria they are just plain old genocidal murderers and should be treated as such. Forget the whole residency thing as a patient if I go to your hospital I want to know that your doctors are the best you could get, any other criteria just means you don't want to offer the best care and should have your program shut down for intentional malpraxis.

Do these fraking *****s ever heard of patient lives matter ?

It's the current culture. Every program and association is really stressed out about making sure everyone knows they love diversity.

Beimg URM is an advantage

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the current culture. Every program and association is really stressed out about making sure everyone knows they love diversity.

Beimg URM is an advantage

I am not so sure about programs "liking diversity" on paper translating well into URM having an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Make it a link , I'll be sure to send some trolls to spray paint "Make America Great Again" around the area. If any cretin believes meritocracy should be outranked by any criteria they are just plain old genocidal murderers and should be treated as such. Forget the whole residency thing as a patient if I go to your hospital I want to know that your doctors are the best you could get, any other criteria just means you don't want to offer the best care and should have your program shut down for intentional malpraxis.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I applied Ortho, with board scores about >15 points higher than the ortho average, and I'm URM. I didn't get an interview to one place that claims to "promote diversity." I.e. Harvard, Iowa, NYU, Mayo, and there might be a couple others.

I know a guy who interviewed Gen Surg 2 years ago in the mid-west and was told by a PD that he had a great application... but that he'd probably find it difficult to fit in with their patient population and residency class.

That being said, I know there are a couple programs who truly care about having a diverse resident class, but that's rare. Within Ortho, I can probably count on 1 hand how many current resident classes actually reflect this.

All that to say, no, being URM overall doesn't matter in terms of residency. PDs want to have people who will be able to handle the load and then people who get along with each other, generally speaking irrespective of what color you are. Of course, there are stories on both sides of the table where being URM will help you, but equally as many IMO where it can hurt you.

Reactions: 10 users

This is an impressive feat, invoking the spirit of Godwin's law , yet not mentioning hitler.

Riddle me this, your hospital serves a mostly black community and the only black people working there are environmental services employees. Do you think you would feel like the Doctors and Nurses would be able to relate to your existence, experience, and help make meaningful care decisions? Would you have trust in the institution that doesnt even have representation from your community in its decision making ranks? Plus Step scores do not make the "best" doctors by themselves.

oh boy, I can tell where this thread is goin. Strapping in for this one.

oh boy, I can tell where this thread is goin. Strapping in for this one.
You created this thread knowing exactly what would happen so don't act surprised now.

Reactions: 12 users
It's surprising how many medical residents in Miami can't speak Spanish. I'd say it's a big plus to speak it but not required. I'd like to think personality matters way more than ethnicity.

You created this thread knowing exactly what would happen so don't act surprised now.

nah not really. I wanted to know if race played a factor in residency and was hoping someone would have some data to prove/disprove it.

Didn't know allo has the same Pre-Allo URM toxic mentality

Like really? U mean to tell me I expected this response?

nah not really. I wanted to know if race played a factor in residency and was hoping someone would have some data to prove/disprove it.

Didn't know allo has the same Pre-Allo URM toxic mentality
Really? ? You do realize the people in pre-allo actually become med students and populate the medical student forum just like you have. It took a simple search on SDN to see this question been asked numerous times in this forum and it devolves into the same conversation all the time. Good Troll though never knew you partake in trolling

calm down and stop derailing the thread.

You do realize the people in pre-allo actually become med students and populate the medical student forum just like you have.

I figured those who actually get into med school would be capable of having an objective discussion regarding race/ethnicity without demeaning and belittling URMs.

It took a simple search on SDN to see this question been asked numerous times in this forum and it devolves into the same conversation all the time.

The search function was down yesterday.

calm down and stop derailing the thread.

I figured those who actually get into med school would be capable of having an objective discussion regarding race/ethnicity without demeaning and belittling URMs.

The search function was down yesterday.
:troll:

This is an impressive feat, invoking the spirit of Godwin's law , yet not mentioning hitler.

Riddle me this, your hospital serves a mostly black community and the only black people working there are environmental services employees. Do you think you would feel like the Doctors and Nurses would be able to relate to your existence, experience, and help make meaningful care decisions? Would you have trust in the institution that doesnt even have representation from your community in its decision making ranks? Plus Step scores do not make the "best" doctors by themselves.
I would, because I'm not racist

Reactions: 1 users
SDN has a long history of emotional posts regarding URM vs ORM, etc. Such posts are discouraged on SDN and as it appears this thread:

1) includes the answer the OP is seeking, which is "sometimes"
2) is going off the rails, as expected (perhaps as desired by the OP)

Closing.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.