How much will class rank affect matching into ophthalmology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldenfloofers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
US MD 3rd year student attending a mid-low tier medical school with a home ophtho program.
Unfortunately I averaged a Near Honors for majority of my rotations with a Pass in Psych so I'm in the 3rd quartile of my school. I will not get AOA or Gold Humanism with this class rank as well.

I'm still waiting to take Step 2 but will aim for at least a 255 minimum, ideally above a 260. I have 2 months for dedicated and I'm currently studying for it right now even prior to dedicated.
Otherwise, I have several research entries (3 papers, 1 being first author, another being 3rd author) and about 5 poster presentations including some non-ophtho ones at regional conferences.

I'm planning on doing a rotation with my home program and at least 2 aways at realistic programs (i.e I will most likely NOT do an away rotation at UCLA or Miami even though I have family in both cities).

I think my biggest concern right now is:
1) my class rank
2) lack of a "unique" factor that sets me apart. Idk if my research is considered great. My ECs are somewhat interesting but nothing AMAZING and they're not ophtho related.

So my questions are:
1) How much will my class rank negatively affect me?
2) Should I take a research year and delay graduation OR should I full send ophtho and risk going unmatched/apply for a pre-residency fellowship
3) Do I need to find a unique X factor to match ophtho?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

What does your home program’s PD and/or your research mentor have to say?

Obviously do well on Step 2 and get more research in. More money in the bank with more pubs. Good call on staying realistic with the aways - as long as you do well, they might be the next most likely places to match outside of your home program. I posted about middle-tier programs a while back in the ophthalmology forum, maybe more folks will chime in on practical options.

I think the class rank does hurt to some extent since these days there are fewer data points to differentiate applicants. If you were third quartile at Harvard, you would get more of a pass on this. SF match has an article linked (granted from 10 years ago) that shows very statistically significant likelihood to match based on an applicant being at a T25 school or being AAO, neither of which apply here.

A research year wouldn’t hurt as long as it’s productive. If you go that route, I’d delay graduation if you’ve got enough potential projects at your school since US seniors vs US grads match at a much higher rate (77% vs 46% the last 2 years).

To me, the X factor thing is overblown. Programs want residents are smart, work hard, and are personable and reliable. A unique story doesn’t make up for generic rec letters or zero research. It can break a tie on a rank list, sure, and may get someone an interview, but it’s only one point.

Reactions: 1 user
What does your home program’s PD and/or your research mentor have to say?

Obviously do well on Step 2 and get more research in. More money in the bank with more pubs. Good call on staying realistic with the aways - as long as you do well, they might be the next most likely places to match outside of your home program. I posted about middle-tier programs a while back in the ophthalmology forum, maybe more folks will chime in on practical options.

I think the class rank does hurt to some extent since these days there are fewer data points to differentiate applicants. If you were third quartile at Harvard, you would get more of a pass on this. SF match has an article linked (granted from 10 years ago) that shows very statistically significant likelihood to match based on an applicant being at a T25 school or being AAO, neither of which apply here.

A research year wouldn’t hurt as long as it’s productive. If you go that route, I’d delay graduation if you’ve got enough potential projects at your school since US seniors vs US grads match at a much higher rate (77% vs 46% the last 2 years).

To me, the X factor thing is overblown. Programs want residents are smart, work hard, and are personable and reliable. A unique story doesn’t make up for generic rec letters or zero research. It can break a tie on a rank list, sure, and may get someone an interview, but it’s only one point.

Home program PD basically says I need to do well on everything. 1st and 2nd quartile are fine. 3rd is iffy - meaning I must score above the median on Step 2 CK. And 4th quartile is essentially equivalent to you're not matching (at least not at my home program).

It would suck if I did a research year and even despite that, my 3rd quartile holds me back from most programs because at that point I might as well have not applied in the first place.
I guess the best course of action is do well on Step 2 and then ask my PD about my chances now with both Step 2 and class rank into consideration.

There's no question that doing well on S2 is needed. It's unlikely your home PD is going to be able to advise you much more than what you have -- it's going to be an uphill climb with a 3Q performance even with a solid S2 score. You'll need to decide whether it's "worth the risk" of a research year. And you'll likely want to consider a backup plan -- which in itself is complicated. Although you may get interviews in your backup field, some/many programs will see your research in opthal and multiple ophthal aways and decline to interview you -- hence your options in your backup field may be less than they otherwise woould.