How Much does Undergrad REALLY Affect Grad School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedDocMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, people on this board have said that GPA matters more than your undergrad school. BUT, why is it then that when you look on mdapplicants you don't see very many of those lower ranked school? Something like your UCONN or WPI or RPI?

Members don't see this ad.

because not everybody that applies to medschool fills out an mdapplicant profile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps because UCONN/WPI/RPI pump out normal people rather than the gunneristic types you see on mdapplicants. Mdapps represents a minority of the premed applicant pool, don't base all your conclusions on it.

Well, people on this board have said that GPA matters more than your undergrad school. BUT, why is it then that when you look on mdapplicants you don't see very many of those lower ranked school? Something like your UCONN or WPI or RPI?
Probably because not that many people know of mdapplicants.com
Heck, not everyone knows of SDN either.
The world is a much bigger place than in this forum. So with that being said, it's very possible to go to med school from one of the lesser known third tier schools. I have a friend going to NYU from Queens College. Getting a good GPA + good MCAT will be the way to go.

Wow, I just noticed I wrote "grad" school instead of "med" school. Clumsy...

I typically classify graduate school (research-based work leading to an academic degree--M.S., Ph.D., etc.) apart from professional school (multiple choice exams and licensure involved). In medicine, graduate school is GME aka residency.

OP, undergrad institution is trumped big time by MCAT and GPA.

People with higher high school scores (GPA, SAT, ACT) tend to attend better universities. Therefore, you won't see many people going from lesser colleges to med school.

About as much as a search button affects this forum