How much does URM status help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yuudrush

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The purpose of a URM status in identifying specific types of students is to help address a growing problem of health disparities in specific communities, such as the Black, Latino, and Native American communities. The lack of representation by these racial and ethnic groups in the field of medicine has been seen as another reason for these problems. So if the schools you apply to have that mindset, which I'm sure a couple will only look at last names, then I don't think your URM status will help.

ElMasSuelto, I'm confused. You say -- and I agree -- that schools have the "mindset" of wanting to increase representation of blacks, latinos, and native Americans in medicine, but then you say they "only look at last names" (not true) and that the OP being a member of one of these groups will not help him/her? Sorry, but you are completely off base on this one.

Yuudrush, identifying yourself as a URM almost always helps an applicant, for precisely the reason ElMasSuelto describes. Schools want to increase the number of minority students, because they feel it is the right thing to do, and also because URM students are statistically more likely (and I realize that I'm generalizing, but the AAMC has done studies that back this up) to practice in medically underserved communities. Because of this, weaknesses on a URM student's application are more likely to be overlooked than a non-URM student.

That being said, with your stats, I don't think your URM status will give you a huge boost because you're already competitive. Yes, weak ECs will detract from your application, but this isn't always a deal-breaker even for non-URM students. Your school list is good, but I would add more safeties -- not because of anything about your application but because that is always a good idea for any med school applicant.

And for the record, no school determines your race based on your last name. If your name is "Vasquez" then one could probably make an educated guess, but the absence of such a name means nothing. I don't even know what a stereotypical African-American last name would be, so if an adcom decided that someone couldn't be black because their last name was "Johnson," that would be pretty stupid. On your AMCAS application, you are asked to check a box to indicate that you are URM, and what race you categorize yourself as.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should also be aware that apparent disparities between admissions standards for URM vs. non-URM students is an incredibly sensitive topic for many people. I am not going to weigh in on one side or the other, but I do want to make you aware that this is an issue that makes a lot of people very angry, and threads like yours very often degenerate into a lot of trash talk. Just be forewarned :)

Virusgirl...by all means, I did not mean to come off as saying that all or even most medical schools base their decisions on applicants by last name. It is just that it is a little easier to identify a Latino by last name than it is a Black applicant, hence my reason for saying that it is sometimes done in the application process.

Also, I didn't mean to say that being a part of one of these groups will not help her either. I only meant that her lack of involvement with the Latino community and her apparent lack of interest in the community might go against the aid that her URM status might normally give.

Although some schools make decisions on superficial ties (such as last names and solely lineage), most schools try to figure out if that URM applicant is actually going to serve the community he or she represents. I mean, that is the point of the URM status and just because you are "from" that community doesn't mean you will serve it and medical school interviews as a whole are meant to figure out who the person is and what type of things they will.

I do agree with virusgirl on the fact that this is a touchy issue and I hope that trash talk does not come from all this.

I believe that there a number of health disparities in the Latino community and the need of doctors with cultural competence is much needed. Yuudrush, I hope you will honestly see that and be willing to help address these issues when you become a doctor bc by your stats you will prob not have any problems becoming a doctor.

To the OP:

it'll certainly help. Anyone who tells you that it won't is probably underestimating. To what extent it'll help depends on how competitive you already are (and it looks like you are definitely quite competitive) and how well you play the game. If you can beef up your EC's, it might make your life easier. You might want to have a "safety" or two just in case cause you never know what's gonna happen in this crazy process. But to be honest, I doubt you'll need them.

To Virusgirl (and the OP):

you actually don't check a URM box. You just respond honestly to what your ethnicity is. If you are half-Mexican, you can either check the "Hispanic" box or you can check the "other" box and write in Bi-racial. It's really up to you. People don't question your race much (especially if you're Hispanic, since there are so many different "looks" within the Hispanic ethnicity) and they certainly don't look at your last name one way or the other.

Your number is strong, but it's still a good idea to add a couple safeties =].
Anyway, wish you can get in the school that you like.

Virusgirl...by all means, I did not mean to come off as saying that all or even most medical schools base their decisions on applicants by last name. It is just that it is a little easier to identify a Latino by last name than it is a Black applicant, hence my reason for saying that it is sometimes done in the application process.

Also, I didn't mean to say that being a part of one of these groups will not help her either. I only meant that her lack of involvement with the Latino community and her apparent lack of interest in the community might go against the aid that her URM status might normally give.

Although some schools make decisions on superficial ties (such as last names and solely lineage), most schools try to figure out if that URM applicant is actually going to serve the community he or she represents. I mean, that is the point of the URM status and just because you are "from" that community doesn't mean you will serve it and medical school interviews as a whole are meant to figure out who the person is and what type of things they will.

I do agree with virusgirl on the fact that this is a touchy issue and I hope that trash talk does not come from all this.

I believe that there a number of health disparities in the Latino community and the need of doctors with cultural competence is much needed. Yuudrush, I hope you will honestly see that and be willing to help address these issues when you become a doctor bc by your stats you will prob not have any problems becoming a doctor.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

And your point about the lack of involvement with the latino community is a really good one. I wonder how much of a difference that will make.

OP, with your stats you don't need any "help". Where URM status might make a difference in your case, will be in the merit scholarship offers.

that would be awesome if i could get some kind of merit scholarship. i'm not really looking forward to the $100000+ in loans. also, i'm thinking i might add one or two more safeties like NYMC or Rosalind Franklin just in case.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=17280
40Q, 3.99

So i was looking to get some advice on my school list..
I know I have pretty good stats, but at the moment my EC's aren't anything special, so should I add some more safety schools? (i really dont want to fill out more secondaries than I have to) Any I should add/drop?

Also, I am half Mexican, but I dont really look Mexican, I don't speak Spanish, and I'm not really involved in the Mexican community (except if I count visiting my grandparents/relatives :laugh:). At least I have a hispanic sounding last name. Anyways, how much do you guys think my URM status will help me out?

Baylor
Emory
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
Stanford
Tulane
all UC's
U. Chicago
USC
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Washington (stl)

Not that many mexican doctors in the US I believe. You'd be kind of foolish not to mention it....and even if you're not involved in the Mexican community who cares; it's part of your DNA regardless.

On the other hand, you're 3.99/40 so you don't need any help. Being Mexican would help you get in if you had like a 3.3 and 26 MCAT in my opinion..but you sir obviously need no help with your godly stats

My goodness, you will get into every medical school and probably even Princeton medical school

Congratulations, great stats! Enjoy all the acceptances and scholarships, you surely have earned them.

Members don't see this ad :)
that would be awesome if i could get some kind of merit scholarship. i'm not really looking forward to the $100000+ in loans. also, i'm thinking i might add one or two more safeties like NYMC or Rosalind Franklin just in case.

No, you should add Case Western, Vandy, and Pitt. They have great merit scholarship packages.

My goodness, you will get into every medical school and probably even Princeton medical school

Congratulations, great stats! Enjoy all the acceptances and scholarships, you surely have earned them.

What?

I think you'll have a few to choose from.

hmmmmmmmmm very innnnteresting

:eek: you need to boost your clinical experiences. They're kind of low.

I'm sure you'll be getting a "get out of jail free" card though considering your amazing stats.

Be careful, Yu, your application looks a lot like mine. My MCAT was slightly better and my GPA slightly worse, EC's and research the weakness. I got interviews, but just barely got in (off waitlist, in July) because of the near lack of clinical exposure. Before your interviews, make sure that you go out and do something that requires you to physically interact with a patient, or you may have some trouble.

This situation is a little misleading, because your LizzyM score is going to kick ass, but you could very well be left on a bunch of waitlists in 8 months. They'll want to see a little bit on the EC end; play ball and you'll be sitting pretty.

Don't bother with RF and NYMC, they will know that you can do better and refuse you the courtesy of an interview. Frankly, in your case, the schools ranked 20+ are your safeties....

If you are ethnically Mexican, list it. Not speaking Spanish may place you at a disadvantage but that is the only flaw I can see in your appie.

Be careful, Yu, your application looks a lot like mine. My MCAT was slightly better and my GPA slightly worse, EC's and research the weakness. I got interviews, but just barely got in (off waitlist, in July) because of the near lack of clinical exposure. Before your interviews, make sure that you go out and do something that requires you to physically interact with a patient, or you may have some trouble.

This situation is a little misleading, because your LizzyM score is going to kick ass, but you could very well be left on a bunch of waitlists in 8 months. They'll want to see a little bit on the EC end; play ball and you'll be sitting pretty.

I don't know, his ECs look pretty impressive.

Compared to many applicants i've seen on SDN, I dont think my EC's are all that great, but some of that is because I only decided about a year ago that I wanted to go to medical school. I'm gonna keep myself busy with research and volunteering during my year between graduation and matriculation, so hopefully that will help.
Also, I know some of you are saying that I shouldn't even bother with some of my "safeties" (like RF and NYMC), so I was thinking I could replace them with say Tufts and Pitt.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=17280
40Q, 3.99

So i was looking to get some advice on my school list..
I know I have pretty good stats, but at the moment my EC's aren't anything special, so should I add some more safety schools? (i really dont want to fill out more secondaries than I have to) Any I should add/drop?

Also, I am half Mexican, but I dont really look Mexican, I don't speak Spanish, and I'm not really involved in the Mexican community (except if I count visiting my grandparents/relatives :laugh:). At least I have a hispanic sounding last name. Anyways, how much do you guys think my URM status will help me out?

Baylor
Emory
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
Stanford
Tulane
all UC's
U. Chicago
USC
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Washington (stl)

Sorry but I yelled TROLL at this post. I mean srsly? Does URM help, coming from a person with those stats and ethnicity? Fishy:wow:

I interviewed a URM last year (different ethnicity), not involved with his ethnic group, same general stats. It can happen.

Where do you interview, LizzyM, out of curiousity? If you can't reveal, as I imagine you cannot, then no big deal.

sorry for drudging this post back up but i have a related question. so out of curiousity is a 3.2-3.3 spga/cgpa and a +30 mcat with respectable ECs considered a subpar URM app?? i mean you say that if you have 3.9/36/a million ECs you don't "need" the advantage..yeah thats obvious. but what if your gpa is like just below the avg. for regular admission would that URM kind of cancel that out? and what sort of schools would you suggest applying to? saftey ? or mid-tier? not really interested in top-20 coz im not disillusioned..

thanks for ne feedback!

sorry for drudging this post back up but i have a related question. so out of curiousity is a 3.2-3.3 spga/cgpa and a +30 mcat with respectable ECs considered a subpar URM app?? i mean you say that if you have 3.9/36/a million ECs you don't "need" the advantage..yeah thats obvious. but what if your gpa is like just below the avg. for regular admission would that URM kind of cancel that out? and what sort of schools would you suggest applying to? saftey ? or mid-tier? not really interested in top-20 coz im not disillusioned..
You can extrapolate your chances from this AMCAS data. Rather than posting on someone else's thread, why not start your own for proper attention?

: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-mcatgpa-grid-hbn-3race.pdf