How much elective time do you get in PGY4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksharp33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also how much call, if any, does your program have in PGY4?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Six months. No call for the last six months during elective time.

Members don't see this ad :)
No call third or fourth years for us. I believe we have a tequired forensic rotation but otherwise the entire fourth year is elective. Honestly apart from three half day clinics our entire third year is essentially elective as well (must do a community psych rotation but have many options). I made my own elective for third year and I am not even the only one in my class to have done this.

Then again, 70 hour weeks were not that rare for me second year so part of me feels like I earned it.

No call third or fourth years for us. I believe we have a tequired forensic rotation but otherwise the entire fourth year is elective. Honestly apart from three half day clinics our entire third year is essentially elective as well (must do a community psych rotation but have many options). I made my own elective for third year and I am not even the only one in my class to have done this.

Then again, 70 hour weeks were not that rare for me second year so part of me feels like I earned it.

Rough. My program never violates duty hours or even gets near it. Basically 8-5 M-F (but often less), one whole day of didactics per week, weekend call Q7-8 weekend, and short call probably once every two weeks. But the downside is we take call up until the last 6 months of pgy4

No call 3rd or 4th year.

My program has no call PGY-4 but also no electives during PGY-4 it any other time during residency.

No call 4th year. We keep our outpatient panel through 4th year (and do a few new intakes), but other than that its all electives.

Our program had no call R4, later started administrative call. Electives were basically "extra hands" on other rotations, were residents took more of a supervisory roll, no "real electives" to be spoken of unfortunately..

If you wind up with lots of elective time in 4th year, put it to good use. Get into a specialty clinic for the year. When you graduate it can be a great help to say you have focused experience in such and such. I didn't appreciate the added value just a little extra experience can get you in the real world when so many adult psychiatrists look the same on paper.

No real electives in 3rd year, though most of it is outpatient. Two months of consult and two months of ED are fairly taxing, 10-11 weekend 12 hour calls for ED.
Fourth year 7 months of elective time, 4 months of IOP + 2 specialty clinics (5 half days of clinical duty), one month of child day hospital. Overall 7-8 weekend 12 hr ED calls, 4-5 child overnight calls for the children's hospital. We also started Jeopardy this year, so we now have 10 "backup" calls.

4th year is nothing but elective time at my program with the exception of a half day a week of required psychotherapy but the site (university vs state vs VA) and type of therapy (DBT vs CBT vs supportive etc) is completely up to the resident so it's essentially an elective. If not doing a research project we also get 2 months of mornings of elective time during 2nd year.

Call in 4th year is <10 evening calls (2.5 hours) teaching or backing up the interns and 4 weekend day calls (12 hours) again teaching and backing up the interns. 4th year call is often completed by December unless residents trade shifts to do them later in the year.

Three weeks of night float 3rd year + some weekends.

Half of your FTE in 4th year is elective, the other is ongoing required outpatient time. Lots of "chief"-ships, less common for people to actually follow-through with making their own elective experiences. I think people are too burnt out by 4th year to electively add a bunch of work to their lives. It does happen, though.

4th year we rotate taking "teach call" (backup for the PGY1-3 to run things by us if they don't think it's at attending level yet).