How much genetics were there on the MCAT for last month or so?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBCvan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

if you've taken mcat for last month or so....how much genetics did you notice...

seriously I have not seen any direct passage for genetics on AAMC practice exams....they're just here and there....

tnXX

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe try checking some of the MCAT test date threads to see what people said? From what I've heard though, genetics is appearing more and more, but that's just what I've heard.

In general yes, but there has recently been a resurgence of organic so don't neglect your organic for genetics.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general yes, but there has recently been a resurgence of organic so don't neglect your organic for genetics.

Yes, there was lot of genetics on recent tests. I took the 7/2/09 test, and even VR had a genetics passage! By genetics, I don't mean the Mendelian kind. This is experimental genetics (knockout, RNAi and the like).

There has been a lot of focus on genetics and molecular biology on recent tests. Some recent tests also have more Orgo than usual.

To everyone out there who still need to take the test: please do yourselves a favor and go buy the Official Guide to the MCAT Exam https://services.aamc.org/publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=255&prv_id=314

The passages on recent MCATs are quite different from the AAMC practice tests. This is especially true for PS and BS. Only that book has passages that are closest to the real deal. Look at the 7/2/09 and 7/17/09 threads to confirm this.

Seriously, everyone, buy that book; it makes a huge difference in your outlook of the test. If you buy it with an AAMC test, it's only $45 total (you save $20).

Yes, there was lot of genetics on recent tests. I took the 7/2/09 test, and even VR had a genetics passage! By genetics, I don't mean the Mendelian kind. This is experimental genetics (knockout, RNAi and the like).

There has been a lot of focus on genetics and molecular biology on recent tests. Some recent tests also have more Orgo than usual.

To everyone out there who still need to take the test: please do yourselves a favor and go buy the Official Guide to the MCAT Exam https://services.aamc.org/publicati...ion=Product.displayForm&prd_id=255&prv_id=314

The passages on recent MCATs are quite different from the AAMC practice tests. This is especially true for PS and BS. Only that book has passages that are closest to the real deal. Look at the 7/2/09 and 7/17/09 threads to confirm this.

Seriously, everyone, buy that book; it makes a huge difference in your outlook of the test. If you buy it with an AAMC test, it's only $45 total (you save $20).
Other than knowing the processes of transcription and translation in side and out, and the times of mutations, what else would you recommend we study for? Does Kaplan and EK Bio do a good job of preparing you for this?

Other than knowing the processes of transcription and translation in side and out, and the times of mutations, what else would you recommend we study for? Does Kaplan and EK Bio do a good job of preparing you for this?

Hmm, I wouldn't say that even transcription/translation fall under genetics. Of course it's important you know them, but I'd say it falls more under cell/molecular bio. The mutations, yes, know them inside out.

I used EK, and it didn't cover genetics with the kind of focus that
recent MCATs need. I don't know about Kaplan.

Besides, I'm not talking just about genetics. The passage format, and the kind of questions asked, have changed a lot especially for BS. The only book that has such passages is the official guide.

What parts of genetic would you say is useful to know?

Its all in the passage. Just read critically. If they start talking about KO understand the defective or non-functional gene is expressed. If its iRNA, you're blocking out the transcription to translation process. But it would all be in there. Everything is still there, and the material hasn't changed, just the emphasis in the passages seems to be shifting from a la-de-da let's tell a story about bio passages to passages that resemble a scholarly journal, which you should all be reading at this point in your academic careers. If not your bio department isn't serving you well.

Now if you get a straight up discrete question with genetic terms you've never heard of before, even as a grad student reading tons of research papers and working with a lot of these procedures, that's when you crap yourself.

Its all in the passage. Just read critically. If they start talking about KO understand the defective or non-functional gene is expressed. If its iRNA, you're blocking out the transcription to translation process. But it would all be in there. Everything is still there, and the material hasn't changed, just the emphasis in the passages seems to be shifting from a la-de-da let's tell a story about bio passages to passages that resemble a scholarly journal, which you should all be reading at this point in your academic careers. If not your bio department isn't serving you well.

Now if you get a straight up discrete question with genetic terms you've never heard of before, even as a grad student reading tons of research papers and working with a lot of these procedures, that's when you crap yourself.
I apologize if I'm beating this down too much, but my question still stands: Other than EK or Kaplans, would you say that there is anything else that would make the genetics part a little bit easier?

Hi guys,
I'm still waiting for that book....my MCAT is on July 8th, I should have ordered it sooner.

Would you guys say that the Berkeley Review passages are pretty indicative of the level of difficulty of the recent MCAT exams?

Dale told us during his class that the new MCAT's are shifting towards research articles....I'm fine with that except that Genetics is not my strong suit.

Also, would it be advisable, in addition to the different types of mutations, to also be familiar with the different types of genetic diseases/affects (pleiotropy, epistasis, etc.)

I'm just hoping I can get lots of organic passages (non-lab would be preferrable)....:D

Thanks in advance!